[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /g/ so divided on proprietary software?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1463442994364.png (29 KB, 548x299) Image search: [Google]
1463442994364.png
29 KB, 548x299
Why is /g/ so divided on proprietary software?
>>
Because Pajeet.
>>
Because the handful of people that aren't trolling about "muh no-money software" don't understand that there is fundamentally zero reason to trust a profit driven organization to act altruistically on its creations for any length of time.
>>
>>54686165

>What are service/support contracts

I am not saying all proprietary software is good. However, if you have ever been a sys admin you'd realize how nice it is to have a company rep you can call at anytime during the day to help diagnose an issue rather then sort through 100's of github issues and random search engine results for hours on end to find the solution to a simple problem. This isn't always the case and some support solutions really suck, but in a professional corporate environment the piece of mind of having a service contract backing a piece of software is really awesome and something most project managers look for when selecting things.
>>
>>54686235
A support contract isn't the same as proprietary vs free.

And yes, support contracts are amazing and one of the primary reasons proprietors stay in business even though the regularly fuck over customers. But free software can have the exact same contract without the onus of your entire system getting pulled out from under you when the vendor sends out an "update"
>>
>>54685552
>Dr Richard Stallman

Honorary Dr Richard Stallman
>>
>>54686312
15 "honorary" doctorates, friend.
He is by every definition a Philosopher, the "honorary" part is just that he didn't need to defend his thesis in front of a committee, since he's already done so globally
>>
>>54686408
Wasn't he working on a PhD but decided to just quit to work at the MIT AI research lab?
>>
Thank fuck he setup the GNU project or else we would be 100% cucked by now instead of just 90%.
>>
>>54686443
A physics PhD. He went to work on AI instead.
>>
>>54685552

Some of us have jobs and simply need to use certain shit sometimes for stupid reasons beyond the control of anyone.

I use free software whenever I can. I just keep my personal shit away from anything I cant trust or I put shit I cant trust in a box like a vm.
>>
>>54686235
that's how many open source projects operate though, gratis software with paid support
>>
>>54686235
what is red hat?
they do this shit for nasa and the yankee military
>>
/g/ isn't divided on the issue of proprietary software.
Buy a lot of shills like to post here.
>>
Because the handful of people that aren't trolling about "muh libre" don't understand that there is fundamentally no reason to trust unpaid basement dwellers to act competently on their creations for any length of time.

In all seriousness though, people who make software have the right to make it free or proprietary at their leisure. Anyone who tries to restrict either one of these is a fucking fascist that needs to die. It's like attacking Coca Cola for keeping their recipe secret.
>>
>>54685552
Maki is cute
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.