[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WordPress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: WordPress_logo4.jpg (44 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
WordPress_logo4.jpg
44 KB, 500x357
What is /g/'s opinion on WordPress?
>>
Bad design and years upon years of 'backwards compatibility' has made this one of the worst hacked together pieces of software I have ever seen.
>>
I have absolutely no idea how anyone could be so masochistic as to use it to build anything other than a small blog
>>
>>
>>54684453
The "it just werks" phenomenon. I think something like a quarter of the web is built upon it.

Can get it to play nicely with a CDN, buy decent (read: not themeforest) themes & plugins to do what I want it to do - almost out of the box. Limited CSS/HTML skills a plus, but there's plenty of 3rd worlders for those more specific tasks.

That said.. WP is basically botnet these days. Depends on what you're trying to do, but it's almost certainly the easiest option, definitely not the best. Kind of like nginx is better than apache for serving basic web services, but, everyone knows apache so.. devil you know, kind of deal.
>>
I personally hated it.
I tried to make a blog there, turns out you have to pay just to get non trivial customization.
it's a shitload of javascript that makes it all so complicated yet featureless if you don't pay
The custom themes that you can pick are all javascript heavy hipster shit that call themselves minimal (I have yet to understand what their definition of minimalism is), and again, you can only configure the background color and the font color, but there is so fucking much CSS that when you change the "background" color the change reflects just at the borders of the skin.
You cannot just drop all that nonsense and make your own, clean theme from scratch (unless you pay).
Nah it's shitto
>>
File: OeWhmKU.jpg (80 KB, 670x447) Image search: [Google]
OeWhmKU.jpg
80 KB, 670x447
>>54684760
>The "it just werks" phenomenon.
yeah, but as soon as you want to make it do something even a little different than the author of your plugins envisioned, you'll probably spend more time fixing it than you would making a new CMS from scratch.
My experience with Wordpress is consisted mostly of pain and suffering. Even Joomla is better.
And being worse than Joomla is an accomplishment of a kind.
>>
for a site that mainly publishes articles from a large team of editors and writers you do get a lot of stuff that werks
>>
>>54684453
http://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/40-most-notable-big-name-brands-that-are-using-wordpress/
>>
>>54686291
all masochists
>>
If you look at the wikipedia page, most of it is taken up by the Vulnerabilities section.
>>
>>54687560
Pretty much this.
Somehow they still manage to be vulnerable to SQL injection in [current year]
>>
Suggestions for alternatives to Wordpress?
>>
>>54684219
Should I be worried if I only use Wordpress to showcase my product, give info and such? There's no customer login, store or complicated stuff. The plugins I use are mainly for CSS styling, analytics and Facebook comments.
>>
>>54687647
http://alternativeto.net/software/wordpress/
>>
>>54687647
this. how is drupal?
>>
>>54687647
PHP
>>
>>54687647
drupal
>>
File: 1382709271275.jpg (54 KB, 521x400) Image search: [Google]
1382709271275.jpg
54 KB, 521x400
I make a living out of making homepages in wordpress to small companies. They are happy that they can go in and make changes themself when its done and Im happy that i can charge them for doing little to no work.

Sure Im not "cool" by /g/s standards. But it pays the bills and my customers are satisfyed
>>
>>54690277
This is the only reason I would ever use Wordpress. I can't find anything else that comes close to the ease of use that allows a non-tech person to make changes to their site.

I would actually like to find a way to use Wordpress to host dynamic content and have a static site scrape or query Wordpress and display that content on the web. This way end users can log in and make changes, but the actual Wordpress site in not on the live web.
>>
>>54690277
same here, only in Joomla!, not Wordpress (I started with Mambo some time around 2004 and just stuck with it)
>>
>>54685141

> and again, you can only configure the background color and the font color, but there is so fucking much CSS that when you change the "background" color the change reflects just at the borders of the skin.

what?
all you have to do is make a childtheme and change the elements you want to change there, what is the problem?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.