[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual machine vs dual boot. Are virtual machines slower and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 260x194
Virtual machine vs dual boot. Are virtual machines slower and unnatural?
>>
Sounds like a question for /sqt/ you stooped faget
>>
File: 1463851714281.png (315 KB, 423x384) Image search: [Google]
1463851714281.png
315 KB, 423x384
>>
>unnatural
The fuck are you goin on about, op?
>>
No, not in my limited experience.
>>
>>54676371
I have a VM Ruth 7 enterprise on it for cert/employment practice and it's slow is shit. I have a 2008 MacBook with 2 gigs of ram and a dual core 2.5 ghz processor.
>>
>>54676371
*with
*slow as
>>
>>54676318
Virtual machine with no internet is the only way to protect your privacy.
>>
>>54676482
You are quite literally retarded.
>>
>>54676432
>2 gigs
>dual core
found your problem retard
don't start putting wrong ideas in people heads, this is your computer fault for being shit.
>>
It depends. Virtual labs can be very useful if you need to run multiple machines at once. I only have 2 physical machines and so I have my lab with pfSense, Metasploitable 2 and Kali. Physically I just have Windows on the desktop for proprietary software and Gentoo on the laptop for school and everything else. Duel booting can also be efficient if you only have one machine and you mainly use GNU/Linux and/or UNIX and/or Windows.
>>
computers are really good at virtualization so speed will be ok. but it depends on your usecase

if you're running windows vm for a single program, ok sure

if you want to taste linux without doing real partitioning, you should man up and do a real install
>>
File: desktop-4M.jpg (3 MB, 5120x2880) Image search: [Google]
desktop-4M.jpg
3 MB, 5120x2880
VM ware is the only one that can run Tiger.
>>
I use VMWare to run [spoiler]Ubuntu[/spoiler] for Linux development from Windows 10, sometimes it can be a bit fucky but better than dual booting.
>>
>>54676371

Religion forbids nested operating systems
>>
I run Windows 7 and use VMWare Workstation to host a bunch of GNU/Linux and BSD VMs. My PC has a 4790k, 16GB of 2133, and a 980 Ti.

I've got a Debian VM that I spend most of my time in and it's plenty fast. I compile software, run servers, can even do 3D work in Blender inside of it.

I've got a bunch of VMs for screwing around with ricing different desktops. I've got a Proxmox and an ESXI VM just for messing around with those and I run 1 core/512mb VMs inside of those.
>>
I use VMware at work, seems to work fine but is it really that much better than VirtualBox?
>>
>>54676432
I bet you even lack VT-x, hahahahah
>>
>>54677283
Why would you use Tiger for anything but a PowerPC Mac?
>>
>>54677395
because tiger is the last good os x
>>
File: Picture_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>54677395
Novelty factor without having to pay $100+ for an ancient laptop.
>>
>>54677483
>what is Leopard

>>54677496
Why not quit being cheap and pick up a PowerBook? It's well worth it, still good enough for a daily driver.
>>
>>54677566
Because I could spend that money on drugs or gas. I'd rather use my 5k iMac. I don't even use my rMBP for anything anymore.
>>
VM's work great for everything except games/cad

Virtualbox is terrible though. What the fuck is wrong with you? Use qemu / bhyve / vmware
>>
>>54677643
Why do some people like to recommend qemu? When I tried using it, it was slow as shit.
>>
>>54677643
>>54677655
What about qemu + hardware passthrough. Apparently you can run GTA at 95~% performance.
>>
>>54677643
>Virtualbox is terrible though. What the fuck is wrong with you? Use qemu / bhyve / vmware
vmware is nonfree software, isn't it?
I have never heard of qemu or bhyve, are they as well?
>>
>>54677643
>VM's work great for everything except games/cad

Except that's wrong, retard.
>>
>>54677655
You were emulating instead of virtualizing
>>
>>54677655
Qemu has two parts. One is software based, one is hardware based (kvm).

Software based qemu lets use virtualize alternative architectures, like arm or sparc. It is slow as sin, but works.

KVM qemu can only do i386/amd64 and is super fast.

So, RTFM you stupid newb, or learn to google. You forgot the --enable-kvm flag.
>>
>>54677661
great. now how do I do that for 20 VM's on one box with one video card?
>>
>>54677740
I don't think you can, sorry.
>>
i7-4790k
16GB RAM
Have a GPU for passthrough if needed
VT-x Enabled in BIOS
VT-d Enabled in BIOS
Hyper-V works in Windows on VirtualBox/VMWare

How do I confirm that all of this stuff is available in Ubuntu?

Is QEMU+KVM the most viable option for GPU Passthrough?
>>
>>54677283
Wallpaper pls
>>
>>54676318
Do you need to use both OS's at the same time? VM.
Do you not need to uss both OS's at the same time? Dualboot.
A lot of posts that bug me on this board are ones where people act like things are black and white when the specific use for it is what determines whether it is black or white.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.