[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD hate thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: CAGSyRIVIAA4vUz.jpg (23 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
CAGSyRIVIAA4vUz.jpg
23 KB, 600x338
>install OpenBSD in a VM
>default partition layout is shit
>try to install packages
>no repository config file
>have to actually set an environment variable everytime I wanna use pkg
>install some services
>they don't start up by default
>have to manually tell the system to start them
>rcctl is pure trash and doesn't have half the options systemctl does
>finally manage to start samba up
>try to do a domain provision for a few virtualboxed Windows clients to test some folder redirection shit
>infinite errors
>turns out I can't do that because the OS doesn't support ACLs
>had enough
>right click -> delete virtual machine

Tell your BSD horror stories, /g/.
>>
>install OpenBSD
>uninstall OpenBSD
>>
>>54673088
>install OpenBSD
>realize i'm not nearly autistic enough for this shit
>>
File: 670x420_raadte.jpg (32 KB, 605x420) Image search: [Google]
670x420_raadte.jpg
32 KB, 605x420
>>54673088
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as BSD, is in fact, Nothing-werks/BSD, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Nothing-werks plus BSD. BSD is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Nothing-werks system made useful by the Nothing-werks corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Nothing-werks system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Nothing-werks which is widely used today is often called BSD, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Nothing-werks system, developed by the Nothing-werks Project.
There really is a BSD, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. BSD is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. BSD is normally used in combination with the Nothing-werks operating system: the whole system is basically Nothing-werks with BSD added, or Nothing-werks/BSD. All the so-called BSD distributions are really distributions of Nothing-werks/BSD!
>>
>>54673216

C-can I combine a Nothing-werx userlund with a Loonix kernal?
>>
>>54673088
>everytime I wanna use pkg
Confirmed for not having read the manual page.
Confirmed for not knowing how to make a pkg config file.
Possibly confirmed to be the regular retarded GNU shill.
>>54673413
No idea, but you can put the GNU userland on BSD kernels. Debian did it, and I think Gentoo did it too, a long time ago.
>>
>>54673620

>bashing GNU

Hello, Rajesh. How much did you make with that post?
>>
>>54673809
>>bashing GNU
Where? I was only bashing OP, not GNU.
>>
I always love it when Linux Users (aka hipster windows users) try it use Unix.
>>
>>54673088
>mfw stallmanfags make these threads trying to ruin truly free GNU-less operating systems
>>
>>54673216
>still trying to force this by posting it every thread
do you even know why the stallman one was funny? because it read like something that autist would've actually written

>>54674329
fucking GNU shills
>>
>>54673824
>>54674329
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PAJEEEETS GET OUUUUUUUT
>>
File: pajeet.jpg (19 KB, 800x420) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.jpg
19 KB, 800x420
>>54674514
But pajeets love Linux
>>
>>54674564

Telemarketers out in full force today!
>>
>>54673413
No, the userland is built with the kernel. However you can use gentoo ontop of bsd.
>>
File: 526x700sr.jpg (70 KB, 526x700) Image search: [Google]
526x700sr.jpg
70 KB, 526x700
Literally the easiest way to test your skills in programming rootkits.

Is that shitty.
>>
>>54673088
Who the fuck uses BSD anyway? It's just a few hipsters and faggots
>>
File: 1458222135993.gif (1002 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1458222135993.gif
1002 KB, 250x251
>>54676465
On the BSD conferences the people see the developers go with Macs, not any BSD variant.
So to answer your question, nobody knows.
>>
>>54676640
Because OS X is THE BEST!
>>
File: macFAGS.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
macFAGS.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
>>54676671
k
>>
>>54673088
>I didn't know what I was doing so it sucks
Great post
>>
>>54676691
OMG!
OH EM GEE!
IT SUPPORTS UNICODE! SO FUCKIN" GAY GAIS!! IRIIGHT GAIS!?

Ami cool yet?
>>
>>54676734
Not even going to be mad, I'm actually kind of cool with macfags. If Apple refuse to sell themselves to the FBI, that's neat.
>>
>>54676465
Linux had no drivers for my laptop's digitizer, Windows had no functional drivers for my GPU, OpenBSD had drivers for both. Now I use OpenBSD on a lot of my systems because it makes a great desktop OS
>>
>>54676765

B-but m-muh NDAs...
>>
>>54677072
What about them?
>>
>>54676380
Top kek
>>
>>54673088
>be a retard
>do retarded things
>be surprised when retarded things happen
stick to GNU shit
>>
>>54673088

gtfo Lennart
>>
>>54673088
Install FreeBSD.
RTFM.
>>
>>54673088
>>default partition layout is shit

I know dude! It's like why don't they just install everything to one single, huge partition like Linux? Well, most of Linux anyway. There are edge lords who--get this--install /home to a whole separate partition, so that they can feel like special snowflakes. There's literally no reason to do that, ever.

And don't get me started on that pf nonsense. It's too easy to use, and it does way too much. IPTables is clearly superior.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.