[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Speccy.jpg (101 KB, 660x525) Image search: [Google]
Speccy.jpg
101 KB, 660x525
Hi /g/, I was considering doing a new build with a GTX 980. What would be your recommendations.

<--- Current specs. My GPU is an R6950 2GB.
>>
>>54671978
>GTX 980

For what purpose? We're a week away from Nvidia gimping it via drivers.
>>
>>54672061
Fair point. Recommendations? Should I wait till the aftermarket 1080/1070 cards next year.
>>
>>54672077
No it's not a fair point, it's a retarded meme

It's been researched and debunked many times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9Akfu90Gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCsT_dk-1E
>>
>>54672092
Still, upgrade now or wait till next year? 1080 is currently twice the price of a 980. I know it is also double the performance but do I really need that for gaming?

Also I'm wondering what kind of price drop will I expect with next years 1080 cards.
>>
>>54672148
You can probably pick up a used aftermarket 980ti for the price of a new 980. They've been receiving very big price hits since the 1080 benchmarks were released.

An aftermarket oc'd 980ti is quite a bit faster than a titan x and comes close to the 1080.
>>
>>54672092
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9Akfu90Gs
>they simply forgot about their previous generation GPUs
3/10
>>
>>54672092
Well shilled, Pajeet!
>>
>>54672226
Okay kiddo listen up because you obviously didn't watch the entire video.

Your argument was: Nvidia intentionally gimps one year old generation cards with drivers.

Which is bullshit, as both video's show.

And it's even bullshit for 4 year old cards (the 680).

What does happen is that because Nvidia actualy upgrades their architecture, they stop optimizing at some point for their older architectures.

What the case is in AMD is since they are still stuck on the same old shitty GCN architecture they have been for the last 4-5 years, older cards of that architecture still see performance increases from newer drivers.

So does Nvidia gimp cards? No

All this shows is how fucking far behind AMD is with their graphics architecture
>>
>>54672272
The Pajeet meme is pretty funny coming from an AMDrone

AMD literally = Pajeet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g3eQejGJ_A
>>
File: 51W2-JinGNL.jpg (37 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
51W2-JinGNL.jpg
37 KB, 500x376
>>54672167
Okay, so if I pick up a 980ti, what else would I be looking to upgrade? Also what kind of power supply do I need to run that beast?
>>
>>54672446
I don't know what resolution you game on, but if you're on 1080p or 1440p the 980ti will serve you just fine without having to upgrade much else.

I'm actualy in a very simmilar situation to you.

Also on 8GB of ram, a 2500k and a 780ti.

I just ordered 16GB of ram because I got it cheap. and I'm also looking for a second hand 980ti.

I'm not going to upgrade my cpu until zen arrives later this year as it will shake things up
>>
>>54672485
Okay cool, I think I'll just leave the upgrade till next year and build myself a new machine that's literally twice as powerful as what I have now.
>>
>>54672290
>Your argument was
nope, i'm not the one you replied to. nvidia doesn't gimp older cards by drivers (they just keep the old code in their driver package and never touch it, except for mayor fuckups like in witcher3), they do that through gameworks.
>What the case is in AMD is since they are still stuck on the same old shitty GCN architecture they have been for the last 4-5 years, older cards of that architecture still see performance increases from newer drivers.
>older cards of that architecture still see performance increases from newer drivers.
compared to no improvements from nvidia. it's a shame that the second video didn't compare AMD drivers from the 7970 release to today's drivers.
>All this shows is how fucking far behind AMD is with their graphics architecture
are they? more like far behind with their drivers imo, but they're working on that.
>>
>>54672609
>compared to no improvements from nvidia.

Ah so Keppler to Maxwell was no improvements made?

Sorry but I can't take you seriousl anymore
>>
>>54672689
which part of
>from newer drivers
was so hard to understand?
>>
>>54672701
Doesn't matter, I was talking about the architecture.

Their drivers might also still benefit older cards, but they are still shit on their new drivers.

Took them 5 days to fix the horrible performance of the 390 on DOOM at release.

It's still faster that in the past but still pretty shit compared to nvidia.

Basically your choice is this:

Nvidia: 2-3years of great driver support
AMD: 4-5 of meh driver support
>>
>>54672736
>Nvidia: 2-3years of great driver support
Plus a decent chance of having your card killed by a driver update.
>>
>>54672770
You want to talk memes or talk about reality?
>>
>>54672778
REALITY is that just during maxwell Nvidia released hardware-ruining drivers two or three times.
>>
>>54672736
>AMD: 4-5 of meh driver support
depends on when you buy. if you upgrade when nvidia released a new generation:
- outperforms AMD cards for half a year
- pay 20-30% extra for same performance
if you upgrade when AMD releases a new generation:
- performance roughly the same as nvidia cards, increases over time with new drivers
- pay 10-20% less for same performance
to sum it up: if you upgrade every 1-2 years, go nvidia. else, go AMD.
>Took them 5 days to fix the horrible performance of the 390 on DOOM at release
and definitely go AMD if you buy your games during steam sales.
>>
>>54672736

>AMD: 4-5 of meh driver support

Seriously, AMD's support isn't much worse than Nvidia's. From my personal experience nVidia drivers have been more problematic even more than AMD's. I'm not AMDrone, but I doubt that quality of nvidia drivers is significantly better than AMD's. Of course, I may be one of this persons who had lots of luck with Radeon drivers.
>>
>>54672955
>but I doubt that quality of nvidia drivers is significantly better than AMD's

it is significantly better, why else would they be able to beat AMD cards with much more powerful specs on paper, more cores, wider memory busses. Simply because they have their softwareside much better optimized
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.