[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best SSHD Company?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: shopping.jpg (6 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
6 KB, 150x150
I heard all alround that the samsung evo is the best ssd and i think Western Digital for hardrives but what about SSHDs?

I keep seing segate but i can find a sshd failure rate spreadsheet or things like that.

Please don't automatically imply that i didn't do research/search (google, wiki, etc.) For these.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>54671598
SSHDs are shit. Get an HDD and an SSD.
>>
>>54671684
/thread
>>
>>54671684
this
>>
File: howitfeels.jpg (84 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
howitfeels.jpg
84 KB, 576x432
>>54671684
>>54671697
>>54671710

Yeah but i hear they're suppose to be better than HHDs , i mean a have configuration between solid memory and well mechanical drives may have some latency or increased failure rate.
(Free stallman pic)
>>
>>54671761
They're not. Put what you need an SSD for on your SSD and put what you don't on your HDD. It's not rocket science.
>>
Intel's SSDs, best SSDs
>>
>>54671785
Well im doing this for a laptop and have a tight budget i want 1tb w/ 7200 rpm , but not the price of an SSD.

Well hard drive it is.
>>
>>54671877
Why do you need 1TB in a laptop? Does it have any mSATA slots open? Does it have an optical drive?
>>
>>54671903
Some people work.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160521-155056.png (639 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160521-155056.png
639 KB, 1440x2560
>>54671903
>>54672179
Ok heres what im doing .

I can't find a good looking laptop to use that has specs like 1tb hard drive and 8gb of RAM.
So what i did was that i look for a MacBook thats late 2009 (because of easy uncasing and how it looked) switch the shit 160gb and 2 gb RAM for better and more space. Plus most importantly switch the OS (i have that covered , i don't like MacOS at all)
>>
>>54671598
OpenSSH makes the best sshd
>>
>>54672293
I need 1tb for school, programing, VMs ,etc in that category.
>>
>>54671598
SSHDs only makes sense for laptops (or really cheap desktops) with only one 3.5" hard drive bay or motherboards with one working SATA port. It's a shitty compromise too
>5900 rpm platter
>only 8GB of "SSD" NAND
>no control over what gets cached in the SSD portion
>no way to separate the platter from the SSD in the event that the SSD portion fails; it dies if the SSD part dies
Buying a cheap 120GB SSD for caching and a 7200 rpm 1TB HDD is only a few dollars more expensive, generally faster since more files can be cached, and allows you to upgrade or swap out parts in case of hardware failure without a total loss of data. Once that SSD portion goes, that entire drive is inaccessible due to the way that the drive accesses the cache first before heading to the platter.
>>
>>54671684
I have an SSHD and I completely agree. It's shit.
>>
>>54672179
And?
>>
>even 4tb models only have 8gb cache

Haha holy shit that's utter shit. It just fucking caches some shit and then drops right down to 5400rpm.
>>
File: DataCenter_Rows1.jpg (467 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DataCenter_Rows1.jpg
467 KB, 1000x667
>>54671684
but ma speed for ma games.
>>54671785
it is obvious, games, program, os go on the SSD. All media onto the HDD.

But here is a question for you guys in general. What is the best method for increasing HDD space? I got 5TB and running out of space.

Is it better to get external HDDs, internal HDD(I have spare slots), or go for a network HDD when you are wanting to expand your pc's space
>>
>>54676840
>but ma speed for ma games
Only load times increase, you're not going to see higher FPS or anything.
>adding more storage
Put another drive in your server.
>>
>>54676873
>Only load times increase, you're not going to see higher FPS or anything.
Some kids are just impatient with their load times, all the ADD meds.
>Put another drive in your server.
Do you guys run servers? Where do I go to find out about them
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.