[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck would any westerner learn to program in 2016 when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1457838965559.gif (247 KB, 480x430) Image search: [Google]
1457838965559.gif
247 KB, 480x430
Why the fuck would any westerner learn to program in 2016 when every entry level job requires a B.S. and you're competing with thousands of pajeets who want 1/10th of your salary?

Programmers are seen as an "overhead expense" and not as a valuable asset, so they outsource them as much as possible.
Maybe your manager wants a little bonus?
>fire $150,000 a year senior project manager
>replace with $25000 pajeet
>get huge bonus for saving the company money

Nobody respects you or your experience, everyone thinks your salary is wasteful and wants nothing more than to take away your comfortable lifestyle.
Why do you even bother?
>>
>>54670449
Maybe just for fun and because it's a useful skill?

Also outsourcing isn't quite so easy as you seem to think. Replacing a $150,000 project manager with a $25,000 pajeet will quickly lead your company into shit. How will he communicate with the team? How will you be able to be assured of his quality of work?

Actually skilled Pajeets also earn about the same anyways, so you'd basically be firing a highly valuable member of your team to hire some random guy.
>>
I agree, it's extremely hard to get a technology-related job today. The jobs are either outsourced, or completely oversaturated and fiercely competed for here.

The funny thing is people thought these technology degrees would be "future proof" and "high demand".
>>
>>54670449
Some of us got into computers because it's our life. If you're in it for money, become a lawyer.
>>
>>54671244
lawyers don't make that much. a better option is to go into finance.
>>
>>54671147
>it's extremely hard to get a technology-related job today. The jobs are either outsourced, or completely oversaturated and fiercely competed for here

This isn't true.

Have you considered you're either of these(or a combination):

A.) Retarded
B.) Social autist who can't network
C.) Lazy and unambitious

Literally NO ONE That I know who majored in Computer Science is having trouble with work with the slightest effort put in. Even people graduating unremarkable schools.
>>
>>54670449
I'm not really in a position to discuss, seeing how I'm actually from Eastern Yurop and earning (in local currency) ~$22k right now.
Well, we got our small share of people coming in from neighbouring, poorer countries, but there's not a lot of them.
>>
protip: sell your own software/apps
>>
>>54671343
this desu i graduated with a 3.2 gpa and i'm working at bloomberg with a 125k salary writing code for the bloomberg terminal
>>
>>54670449
Pajeets are everywhere. The real problem is that average /g/ user is an incompetent idiot who jerks off to C. Be more creative than pajeets and you won't have a problem
>>
>>54671398
>protip: sell your own software/apps

Good luck with that in today's saturated market.
>>
>>54671496
>Being unable to compete with a literal Indian who can't even comment his code, includes millions of bugs and cannot communicate with the team

If you're getting outsourced to THIS, you should just kys honestly.
>>
>>54671398
Super protip: Git gud at making slick GUIs and steal other people's software so you can mod it and sell it.
>>
>>54671528
Sometimes is not because of being better than pajeets

Sometimes companies would want to same some huge money hiring lots of pajeets than you.
>>
>>54671528
Ugh. I had to work with some HTML/CSS/JS made by guys from Delhi once. I had absolutely 0 commercial experience back then and still the "quality" of the code made it painful to work with.
>>
>>54671561
Except that every team needs a few nonpajeets to guide the monkeys.
>>
>>54671561
>Sometimes companies would want to same some huge money hiring lots of pajeets than you

They lose money when the pajeets fuck up the project, or when they spend 5x as much on QA than just hiring a few good senior devs.

This is kinda like when people complain about Mexicans stealing jobs... Bro if you're getting outcompeted by a fucking mexican something's not right
>>
>>54671496
>>54671528
Unofrtunately, this >>54671561 anon speaks some truth. Many managers cannot think outside of numbers - and the bigger the company, the easier this is to happen. They won't spend $2k on a testing server, because why? You've been working fine without one, why do you need one? Never mind the fact that currently each developer spends at least half an our every day waiting for shit to compile on his local machine, and compared to <number of devs> * <hourly pay> * <downtime>, the investment on the server would be on the plus-side in less than a month. They can't fathom this and they don't care. All they can think about is saving $2k of company's money from those pesky developers. Especially if they get like 5c for every $1 they "saved".
>>
>>54671502
You just have to make something not shit. There are hundreds of file explorers and photo viewers on android for example but only the best get downloaded. Make something worth a shit and market it a little. With just a few good apps you can already rake in enough coin to live off as a neet in your parents basement. As long as you do the quality over quantity approach you'll be fine.

>>54671557
Too risky and people will be able to tell your software is shit over time.
>>
>>54671674
>Make something worth a shit and market it a little.

It was easy back then to just make an app and get tons of downloads. Nowadays, you need a 6 figure marketing budget in order to get into the top rankings in Google Play unless you get lucky with viral marketing in social media.
>>
>>54671292
Tax lawyers get paid a hell of a lot. Rich people really want to ensure they pay as little as they should have to.
>>
>>54671859
>Rich people really want to ensure they pay as little as they should have to

I think you mean accountants, kek.
>>
>>54671838
facebook ads my man, not even that expensive
>>
maybe if you work in an industry that doesnt require much innovation
>>
>>54670449
All the best programming jobs are in the western world. Instead you should have said "Why would any westerner become an engineer in 2016" as those jobs are all being outsourced to China to the lowest bidder, and China has a glut of them graduating like 600,000 per year so they can work at Qualcomm's or Apple's factory and get paid less than a webdev in the US.
>>
>>54670449
What. No. It doesn't work like that. You either pay someone to do something quick and cheap, or you pay someone to do something well.
I am working in a EU based startup. Lately we have merged with US based fortune 500 company, aka us fags bought us. We have to integrate our solutions with their existing projects. Turns out they used to employ pajeets back in the day

>built in 2014
>soap
>0 documentation
>trying to get example requests to follow up the integration turns into 2 week long email pingpong with Pajeet manager
>see their code
>I wrote better code when I was a junior
They literally BOUGHT our company to replace their own startup/company branch because slacky developers fucked it up.

Don't spit bullshit when you never worked in IT.
>>
>>54672030
>2 week long email pingpong with Pajeet manager
kek. my friend works in some branch of a very "western" corp. the management decided to outsource some program to India. The spec covered what should happen and what should appear in the logs.
Quite some time after the deadline, they get the product. It spins up, log looks fine, time to test it.
...does not work.
One more try. A few more tries. Finally they tried disassembly or a profiler or whatever (I don't recall right now).
Turns out the Pajeets only wrote the part to output the logs and hoped they won't notice. After receiving a complaint, they tried pretending that the software is not being used right.
They only apologised and started working on the meat once they heard something about a possible lawsuit.
>>
Guys how do I learn to code apps? Should o consider learning c++ first and then going to Java/swift?
>>
File: piclinked.png (2 KB, 193x48) Image search: [Google]
piclinked.png
2 KB, 193x48
>>54671147
If you go for networking, or any other semi-monkey position it is true. But so it is with any other occupation.
Pic related is my linkedin profile. I clean it up every monday. I could easilly land up to 60% of those openings if I went for it.
Programming job, senior position, UK.
>>
Based globalization, keeping the poor in your home country poor. Can't wait to live in a cyberpunk dystopia, fighting off neuro-hackers from India/China while cruising down the lower streets of a super city on my neon bike looking for a minimum wage job.
>>
>>54672203
Kill yourself first
>>
>>54672203
yeah kill yourself
>>
Consider lua
>>
>>54672301
>But so it is with any other occupation.

This. There's competition in almost every field.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.