[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Safest Linux variant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: nice.tattoo.get.some.shampoo.jpg (29 KB, 400x315) Image search: [Google]
nice.tattoo.get.some.shampoo.jpg
29 KB, 400x315
I've been out of the loop with linux for a while now. I have mint on my laptop which is used for webshit basically. By the middle of the year I plan on scraping up some hardware to make a dedicated linux desktop rig to use beside my gaymen rig.

What I'm wondering is which distros aren't shill owned or complete shit in terms of privacy. I'm switching to linux for everything web because win10 is an abortion of an OS.

Easy install and compatibility preferred for the distro if possible... I've spent multitudes of hours diagnosing and troubleshooting issues with many distros in the past and don't have a lot of interest in that at this point. Normal issues are fine but I don't want an overcomplicated OS for the sake of it. I'm not interested in shit like Arch or Gentoo tbqh. Thanks /g/.
>>
>>54670150
bump
>>
>>54670150
Arch isn't overcomplicated. The moment you have to resort to troubleshooting your OS you're basically doing the same shit you'd be doing on Arch.
>>
>>54670150
based on the way you talk you should really be able to answer the question yourself, no?
debian.
>>
>>54670150
debian, arch, gentoo. arch and gentoo focus more on being cutting edge while debian tries to be more stable. They follow the same idea of trying to be a universal Os, but with different philosophies. All three distros als respect your privacy and are very secure (especially debian).
>>
Void Linux
>>
>>54670930
also gentoo and arch aren't complicated. only the installation process will take some time, but one it's installed it's just like any other distro.
>>
>>54670886
>>54670930
OP here, I actually think I will give a pure Debian distro a try. I've never used it before. I've always used distros like Sabayon, Ubuntu, Mint, Xubuntu, Knoppix (back in the day), Damn Small Linux, BackTrack, etc.

One other thing I was wondering, are Nvidia's drivers still shit? Mostly I am wondering if I will be able to use 2 or 3 monitors without constant issues or not.
>>
Slackware.
>>
>>54670998
> are Nvidia's drivers still shit

depends. open source one is, proprietary ones aren't.
>>
>>54670998
If you're set on running BSD/Linux you should ditch the nvidia card and go with intel or amd as they have better open source support.

Also Antergos (Arch clone) gives you an easy installer and ubuntu like software update graphical UI but it's a rolling release so stuff will break eventually
>>
Qubes OS
>>
>>54670150
Just take Linux Mint Debian Edition 2
Easy, Debian based and rolling release.
>>
>>54670150
Manjaro
>>
>>54671236
This

Surprisingly usable
>>
>>54670150
1. Get a distro
2. Harden security

If you are thinking debian go with debian stable because only this of all debian gets security updates
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.