[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work at a shitty startup that doesn't think or plan and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: cute.jpg (36 KB, 531x720) Image search: [Google]
cute.jpg
36 KB, 531x720
I work at a shitty startup that doesn't think or plan and is just results focussed. Literally the first thing that works will do.

They corrupted someone's server on the 1st deploy.

How do I find a tech job that's no like this? Or do I just suck it up and do what I'm paid to do, give them fair warning, and let them deal with the fallout if they don't listen?
>>
>>54666829

Are there even any jobs at all that aren't totally results based and have no forethought?
>>
>>54666829
I have a feeling this is kind of normal. If you have a thing for good, sane and beautiful software, you'll always be disappointed by how much activities that are not immediately customer result-oriented are seen as a luxury and any initiative in that direction is brought down with phrases like "yea sure anon you can do that if you like to work unpaid overtime".
This is even worse in non-startups because the old "we always did it like this / xyz is like this for historical reasons" folks tend to be in charge. And the bigger the company, the more bureaucratical bullshit will stand in your way.

tl;dr Real life tech is an ugly clusterfuck on every level and the more you understand the more uglyness you'll see. Suck it up.
>>
>>54666829
>do what I'm paid to do, give them fair warning, and let them deal with the fallout if they don't listen
this, but also start looking for a new place. it's not healthy to stay in shitty environments
>>
Post Moar please...
>>
>>54666964
>This is even worse in non-startups because the old "we always did it like this / xyz is like this for historical reasons" folks tend to be in charge. And the bigger the company, the more bureaucratical bullshit will stand in your way.

See I had a feeling it would be like this.

At least in my place I have free-reign to do what I want, and I have the ability to say "well yeah I can implement X thing, but I'm not doing it without Y and it will take Z time".

I'll look at grad schemes or master's degrees in a few months when they come around. Might as well look for other work in the mean time.
>>
>>54667212
Ai Shinozaki
>>
>>54666862
In startups? No. In industries that have actual regulations where people may be injured/die/get sued to shit/fined/sanctioned? You bet your ass they do.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.