[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blackberry Classic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Classic-HandsOn-11-970-80.jpg (76 KB, 970x544) Image search: [Google]
Classic-HandsOn-11-970-80.jpg
76 KB, 970x544
Is there any point in getting a Blackberry Classic at this point?
I've been using android since 2009, but I'm really tired of it now and I can't be fucked for iPhone. I miss the physical keyboards of blackbery and I generally don't like touchscreens very much
I get a new classic for about £200, should i go for it?
Or is there something else I should consider? Should I wait for the rumoured android running blackberries later this year? Though I'd prefer to not spend very much
>>
>>54666490
BB10 is a dead platform now

Shame really, as it has the best security and OS design out of all platforms (muh QNX microkernel)
>>
>>54666502
so it's still usable but they won't be updating it anymore?
>>
>>54666512
Think about how BB7 is 'usable'

it's completely dead, no updates, no dev support
>>
Stupid fucking phones for stupid fucking people
>>
File: Sony-Xperia-E4G-Deals[1].png (522 KB, 1006x645) Image search: [Google]
Sony-Xperia-E4G-Deals[1].png
522 KB, 1006x645
>>54666490

it depends on your expectations from a smartphone, go check out the apps it supports and then decide. for example, native whatsapp app won't be supported after the end of 2016 and users will have to use the android version from the amazon appstore. this might sound ok but android support on bb is not perfect and no one can guarantee that an update won't cause any issues. of course if you don't use whatsapp it's all good. so check the apps you use regularly in the bb appworld.

>>54666512

they promised two minor updates but bb10 is now considered as "undead". next two bb phones will run android and if they make money, they will probably move on to that OS and only offer bb10 for governments and other security focused industries.

I was a bold user and loved the keyboard but now i use a low end sony xperia e4. in the near future i will look for the coming Chinese nokia androids and new bb androids for potential upgrades. if they sell for a lower price than their sony counterparts, I may buy one; but if not, i will keep buying sony. they are comfy except some stupid pre-loaded bloat which can be disabled.
>>
>>54666807
bit of a dealbreaker then desu
>>
File: nokia-lumia-925-att[1].jpg (104 KB, 1740x1160) Image search: [Google]
nokia-lumia-925-att[1].jpg
104 KB, 1740x1160
>>54667243

it's the same reason why people don't buy windows phones. I personally love the design but the windows app market is not so much better than bb appworld. also people bitch about apps not being updated. they are left with unmaintained apps.
>>
Can anyone tell me this:

Like for Samsung android phones, we have sammobile.com for firmware and Odin/Heimdal for flashing it.
For Nexus phones we have official sources for firmware and official guides to flash it.
For old Nokia phones we had mr-crab.net/navifirm for firmware and Phoenix/etc for flashing it.

What is the equivalent of this for Blackberry mobiles?

Also where do I learn more technical details about Blackberry mobile (specifically, old blackberry devices, I have Blackberry Bold)
>>
BBos10 is dead. I will be using it till my q10 falls apart but I definately won't buy another one in the future. From the smartphone point of view it's a big failure because noone is interested in developing applications for it and applications are everything that smartphones ever were about.

From a dumbphone point of view it's shit as well, battery life of 1 day when used.

From the hipster point of view it looks a little bit better. But I'm fairly sure a nokia 3310 would whore you more attention than a BB device.

>>54668387
>What is the equivalent of this for Blackberry mobiles?
I don't think RIM even opened it's bootloader.

You can flash firmware on bbos10 devices, but only signed firmware and it's done by an autoloader which comes in form of an .exe that you run, plug your device and wait for it to finish.
>>
>>54668387

there was berryshout.com but it currently redirects to some shit for me. it used to be only for old keyboard models up to OS7.1 models and linked to official firmware by various carriers. for flashing i used to use the official bb desktop software and delete vendor.xml files to flash firmware from other carriers.
>>
>>54666490
>Blackberry Classic Anonymous 05/21/16(Sat)13:07:04 No.546
bump
>>
BB Classic or Passport with android when?
>>
>>54670965

never, the new ones might look like these.
>>
>>54672413
There goes my reason for getting a blackberry in the first place
>>
>>54672445

there will be an all touch and a keyboard model which is pretty much classic with android. the only difference will be the aspect ratio. the new one won't be 1:1
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.