[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Server Thread Post your gear, setups, plans, ideas...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
Home Server Thread

Post your gear, setups, plans, ideas...
>>
File: DSCN070xxx8.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2465) Image search: [Google]
DSCN070xxx8.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2465
been neglecting them recently - need to look over the whole network, see whats in use, what isnt and rejig shit
>>
File: 1375665422466.jpg (646 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
1375665422466.jpg
646 KB, 2592x1944
>>54664763
That's my mobile server.
Shit rocks.
>>
File: 1389537510733.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1389537510733.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>54664894
Up to eight hours of battery life when the screen is off and both M9T 2TB HDDs are sleeping.
USB boot device is located inside the ultrabase, soldered straight to the dock motherboard.
>>
>>54664820
What do you use your servers for?
>>
>>54664763
eyeing a dual e5-2670 setup now (fuck they're cheap) for a build server, 16 cores and a pcie ssd would smash compilation times compared to my 3930k

be nice to raid up a few hdds for bulk storage too since my wife and i have too many fucking computers
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (201 KB, 1808x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
201 KB, 1808x1080
My server is just a self-built PC using used parts off ebay and stuffed with intel NICs.

Pic related. 2012 R2 datacentre host with Server 2012 R2 VMs + one Win 10.
>>
Jaja Hillary nice try
>>
is it possible to have encrypted files on a NAS that only clients can read?

Because what happens if I have for example BitLocker encryption on my NAS and someone steals it while it's running, then they can see all my files.

I'm thinking something like BoxCryptor/Cryptomator where the files on the server are encrypted but the client computer can read them?

thnks
>>
can't wait to turn on my other computer because I was too dumb to install the hard-drives in the one i'm currently using.
wew fileservers.

#home_server_logic
>>
File: IMG_20160509_200106.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160509_200106.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
z800 with 2x 6 cores at 2.4ghz and 48gb ecc

>>54665060
fuck off
>>
>>54665105
How loud is that sexy beast? considering getting one as a futureproof meme desktop
>>
>>54665060
What is better, installing hard drive in 1 computer and share it among the remaining 5 in your house, or buy 5 hdds, install in each computer, and constantly try to replicate files between them.
>#
fuck off to facebook or instagram or wherever you came from
>>
>>54665123
it's loud enough to be slightly annoying but you could probably look at replacing all the cooling if you don't mind bodging it a bit. mine is used purely as an esxi host so at some point it will be going to the spare bedroom where noise won't be an issue.
>>
>>54664941
meiling handles firewall, routing, DHCP, DNS and NTP

yuyuko is a fileserver as well as handling the laserprinter you cant see in that pic under the table

youmu is my Virtual machine server for playing with

tewi is for my brother - what he does with it is his business - webdev stuff i think

wriggle is a piece of shit that does fuck all because she keeps powering off for no reason

chen runs an http server and external ssh access, not that its used much.
>>
>>54665605
Can you post new pictures of your battlestation?
Im very interested
>>
File: bc-080303-go-public01.jpg (13 KB, 230x173) Image search: [Google]
bc-080303-go-public01.jpg
13 KB, 230x173
Pretty new to this NAS business. I have little knowledge of these things, but I need a decent storage/redundancy solution.

>getting fed up of dealing with family photos and documents scatter shotted on different hdds all around the house/world
>Looking to build a NAS for some measure of redundancy
>Settled on the following

FreeNAS box with plugins incl. Owncloud
8TB total drivespace with RAID-Z1 should give me 6TB of usable space.

This should last some time.

2No. HSGT Ultrastar Drives 2TB
2No. WD reds 2TB
1No. Mobo (Mini ITX)
1No. Processor (maybe integrated into the Mobo, with no need for additional cooling?)
8GB of ECC unbuffered RAM (some kingston cheap stuff)
1No. Probably a full sized PSU to ease my worries

1No. Case to fit all that shit. (thinking a fractal node 304, or if I can't find a decent ITX mobo, a Node 804)

Yes I know it's not a backup solution, but anything is better than the non-system we have at the moment. One HDD goes caphut and we lose shit loads of actually important data (no not animus or gaymes).

Can anyone recommend me a mobo or suggest a good CPU for all this junk?
>>
>>54664763
I have a spare 775 mobo which I'm not sure whether it's working or not. Going to buy a core2duo, a cooler and some ddr2 sticks to test it. I'll probably make a NAS out of it if it works.
>>
>>54664763
if i have modem to router connected to nas. Can i make a computer connected to the modem access the nas of the router
>>
>>54665701
when its tidy, aye - things still getting sorted around here after my mother died.
>>
>>54665824
Appreciate it very much
>>
>>54665036
>someone steals it while it's running
How? Lug an UPS with them?
>>
>>54665989
>Not carrying a UPS at all times
>>
I build an 8TB server running FreeNAS; well it's actually 16TB but I set it up to use mirroring because I don't trust RAID. It's still in the testing period; I figured I'd run it for a few months and make sure the hard drives don't explode before I start moving all my shit to it.

I also built a pretty nice pfsense router using a cheap integrated board and two Intel network cards, but I haven't started using it yet. I've been being lazy and just using the modem/router Brighthouse gave me; they didn't give me the fucking login info for the thing, so I need to either call them up and demand the information or try disconnecting the cable line and hard resetting the device so I can get into it and switch it to bridge mode. Or just buy a surfboard modem on Amazon and use that instead. I also have to buy a new wireless access point if I want to ditch the Brighthouse modem. My old WRT54GL doesn't really cut it anymore, I need to get something with the new wifi standards.
>>
>>54665170
how about you fuck off to something other than trying to glorify your shit pc components into being a """" server """"

lol top kek fucking lel'd
>>
>>54666142
define 'server'
>>
>>54664971
Props man! I like it!
>>
>>54665713
you're silly
>>
Banana Pi
2x 3TB WD Reds connected via usb external enclosures

It runs rutorrent, and an nginx server to access my files because I'm too lazy to setup samba
>>
>>54664763
does someone make fans that does not sound like jet engines? hp computers are always so quiet even under 100% load
>>
>>54666335
oh. ok
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.