[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thunderbolt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: Thunderbolt3_infographic_100715.jpg (297 KB, 900x2323) Image search: [Google]
Thunderbolt3_infographic_100715.jpg
297 KB, 900x2323
Thinking about it, Thunderbolt is actually a pretty damned good connection type.

>Didn't create yet another proprietary interconnection type, used what was already available for comparable uses
>Daisy chaining to connect more devices without needing several ports on the computer
>Connect 2 computers using a thunderbolt cable - instant networking at fast speeds, way smaller than an ethernet cable and no plastic clip to break
>Dat PCI bus integration
>Dat 40Gbps transfer rate

The only down sides I see are strict limits on how long these cables can get (attenuation has got to be a bitch) and Intel jew-hoarding the technology, limiting integration into the Windows-based environment where AMD holds a big portion and has no Thunderbolt integration.
>>
File: 1463780604561.jpg (9 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
1463780604561.jpg
9 KB, 228x221
>>54660917
>tfw you fell for the USB3.1 meme
>>
>>54660917
I dont rally see why I would want a long thunderbolt cable, its PCI express.
>>
Not at all. It's pretty interesting but not really useful irl. USB 3.0 already transfers at ~400 MB/s and has a theoretical max transfer rate of ~600 MB/s (though it may never be reached because of overhead and stuff). SSDs especially entry level ones have a write speed of about ~200 MB/s so anything faster than USB 3.0 is pointless.

In many cases USB 2.0 is more than enough for some users.

Also I think external GPUs for laptops is a meme. People are forgetting how shit the CPUs on laptops are (ie macbooks) and how expensive the GPU enclosure + PSU will be.
>>
>>54661180
Another retarded tripfag added to the filter
>>
>>54660917
Imagine if it actually took off though.

eGPU might be a viable option
>>
I like thunderbolt because muh PCI-e.
Too bad inteel were fucky about people making docks for a while.
>>
>>54660917
>attenuation has got to be a bitch
You can get fibre thunderbolt.
>>
>>54661202
Well it can work on USB now so it should.

Depends om how greedy intel decides to be
>>
>limited to Windows
What do you mean? As far as I know, macs have had thunderbolt for ever.
Until razer came out with their gaymin laptop, using TB3 for eGPUs, no once cared outside of professional uses and people that need the bandwidth (usually video editing or autists)

Just shows how much /v/ is here
>tb is bad macs are gay
>tb is amazing too ha did Windows only!
>>
>>54661180
Some people use more than 1 hard drive at a time.
>>
>>54661248
Its at that point you use network deives though
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-20-22-44-47.png (154 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-20-22-44-47.png
154 KB, 540x960
>>54661202
It probably won't. Not just because of the price (see pic related) but because the CPU on laptops are shit (especially on macbooks) and carrying around a bulky enclosure will defeat the portability of a laptop.
>>
>>54661265
>Thunderbolt 2
>20Gbps

>Network devices
>1Gbps

No thanks.
>>
File: 1456876387976.png (149 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1456876387976.png
149 KB, 396x385
What needs to become a thing is a dock that runs off a single usb-c that houses a gpu and like 5 hdd that is well cooled that can support dual 4k 60hz
>>
File: proprietary.jpg (74 KB, 494x429) Image search: [Google]
proprietary.jpg
74 KB, 494x429
>>54660917
>Thunderbolt is actually a pretty damned good connection type
>>
>>54661285
Though obviously a tone of sarcasm there, honestly wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about the cable-jungle anymore?
>>
>>54661248
Hard drives are slow as shit, they don't need a thundercuck 3 connector. Doubt even 4 HHDs would max out a USB 3.0 hub even if all were being used at the same time.
>>
If we have thunderbolt, whats the point of ethernet or displayport
>>
>>54661299
>Trying to mock Thunderbolt with a broken cable
>Pic is of a completely different cable
>>
>>54661180
>Entry level SSDs write at 200MB/s sequential

More like a entry level hard drives. A shitty WD Blue can do that.

>Anything faster than USB 3.0 is pointless

Please let this be a joke

>USB 2.0 is more than enough for some users

Oh shit, you're not memeing.
>>
>>54661301
not much sarcasm desu cause that would be neat. It would work especially well if laptop manufacturers went with it and made it so there were laptops with decent quad core cpus and no gpu that would pair with it perfectly
>>
>>54661299
There have only been five or so thunderbolt cables sold, chances are there aren't gonna be any pics of them broken online.
>>
>>54661299
>That picture
>thunderbolt
>>
>>54661315
>>Entry level SSDs write at 200MB/s sequential
>More like a entry level hard drives. A shitty WD Blue can do that.
lmao, no.

>Oh shit, you're not memeing.
~40MB/s is plenty enough to transfer data from your PC to android phone or another hard drive. It's like 2.5GB/minute, that's still plenty fast for most uses. If all you do is transfer stuff between your PC and phone then USB 2.0 is all you need.
>>
>>54661364
gotta agree with the tripfag here most people I know have never even plugged their phones into a computer.
>>
File: wrongpic.jpg (86 KB, 800x831) Image search: [Google]
wrongpic.jpg
86 KB, 800x831
>>54661299
woops! wrong pic hehe
wonder why I mixed them up
>>
>>54661364
If it's not instant, it's not fast enough!

But, this should be taken as a goal, not an expectation. One should never settle for "good enough"
>>
>>54660917
Thunderbolt will take off the moment that Intel bothers to stop fucking around and ACTUALLY PUSH ADOPTION, like every other failed tech that Intel attempted.

Thunderbolt became a standard years ago and Intel keeps iterating on it, but not forcing it on motherboards or providing enough PCI-e bandwidth until recently.

It's another great connection type that Intel won't leverage.
>>
>>54661272
Not all laptop chips are shit. There are ~50W, quad core i7s with HT. Lower clocks than their desktop counterparts of course, but more enough for the vast majority of cases.

I imagine this sort of thing would only be useful in a sort of docking station setup, as in you use the graphics card at home, at your desk. Basically instead of buying some ultraportable device (if you need it at all) and a desktop, you'd buy a high-end laptop and a dGPU along with the required enclosure.

I personally don't see the appeal. I don't need a laptop and I'd rather go the ultraportable route with a proper desktop.
>>
>>54661390
It really depends what you're using the connection for. USB2.0 is definitely "good enough" for your mouse for instance.
>>
>>54661390
>But, this should be taken as a goal, not an expectation. One should never settle for "good enough"
You should never go overboard if you don't need to either. Thundercuck 3.0 is nice and all but expensive an unnecessary.

Point is USB 3.0 and 2.0 is more than enough for most things, no need to get cucked by special snowflake connectors.

Honestly though if all you have is a 5.6k RPM HDD and an android phone with an UHS-I microsd card there's no need to upgrade to USB 3.0 motherboards.

Only take what you need, you know? Some people are still rocking their Sandy bridge i5/i7 builds with a modern graphics card and they're doing just fine.
>>
>>54661484
The only limiting factor in laptops is the battery. Battery technology can't keep up with the pace of technology, and if the battery can't power the machine for more than 15 minutes, there's no point to having full-desktop performance.

The limiting factor in desktops is standardized mounting and casing. With laptops, they're ultra-proprietary, but have the freedom to move whatever they want to fit it all in better. But smaller desktops carry the stigma of low-powered and would therefore be seen in a bad light when compared to beefier showier competitors.
>>
>>54661277
>he doesn't know what 10 GbE is
>>
>>54661537
>battery technology can't keep up with the pace of technology
>technology can't keep up with the pace of technology
>i'm literally retarded and need a diaper to contain my urine
>>
>>54661484
>Not all laptop chips are shit. There are ~50W, quad core i7s with HT. Lower clocks than their desktop counterparts of course, but more enough for the vast majority of cases.
Most are especially... macbooks. Most either have dual-core i5s/i7s that throttle to ~2.0GHz or less (see core-m macbooks) when under load (ie user is playing vydia) and thus the processor will become a massive bottleneck.

>I imagine this sort of thing would only be useful in a sort of docking station setup, as in you use the graphics card at home, at your desk. Basically instead of buying some ultraportable device (if you need it at all) and a desktop, you'd buy a high-end laptop and a dGPU along with the required enclosure.
Which is fucking retarded. A mini-ITX build would be far better and cheaper. Maybe even smaller too
>$1,000 laptop + $500 for gpu and gpu enclosure
>$500 mini itx build + $100 monitor
Unless they're mactards people would never do the laptop + eGPU thing.

>I personally don't see the appeal. I don't need a laptop and I'd rather go the ultraportable route with a proper desktop.
Same here.
>>
>>54661574
>Not understanding how different types of technology can advance at different paces

Kill yourself moron.
>>
>>54661364
>he doesn't understand the difference between sequential and random speeds.

A HDD is excellent at sequential writes, not so much when the places it needs to write to are fragmented all over the place.
That reason alone is the whole idea behind buying an SSD. A fragmented SSD is just as fast as a defrag'd one.
>>
>>54661537
>But smaller desktops carry the stigma of low-powered and would therefore be seen in a bad light when compared to beefier showier competitors.
lmao you okay mang?
>>
File: fallacy.png (24 KB, 1410x191) Image search: [Google]
fallacy.png
24 KB, 1410x191
>>54661574
One of those didn't-proof-read posts, but the communicated concept is sound.
>>
>>54661611
>not understanding basic english
>using generalizations because you don't actually know what you're talking about
>having this much shit stewing in your pants instead of learning to use a toilet
>>
>>54661626
>communicated concept is sound
>technology advances faster than technology
>retard continues to spout lies while not knowing how either group of developments have progressed and intentionally been geared toward each other
>having seeds in your teeth with no floss
>>
File: pepe papers.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
pepe papers.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
>>54661364
>file transfer speeds
>lower is better

What the fuck did I just read?
>>
>>54661598

Because people would rather have one device than have to manage, update, etc a bunch of different shit. For example I never use my Nexus 7 because I can't stand that when I open it for the first time in 2 months I've gotta update a bunch of shit, keep it charged, etc.

The idea of being able to go from working on a laptop when away from my desk/house to going home and docking to give it some extra power for medium gaming it is pretty appealing.

>You travel for the week with your laptop/tablet hybrid
>Use it as a laptop for typing, more serious work
>Rip it off and use it as a tablet to watch some videos, fap with
>Get home, dock the tablet on the PC dock
>Adds some extra cooling and e-GPU to play some games
>Grab the tablet and put it back on the laptop dock for better shitposting on /g/ before bed
>Rip it off again to fap on /gif/ while you refresh the /g/ thread you shit up prior
>This is already real
>This will someday be possible with a smartphone
>>
>>54661662
It depends on whether upgrading to USB 3.0 is worth it at all. Someone with a 2500K and a mATX MB would have to spend like $400 to "upgrade" to USB 3.0

You think they give a fuck about USB transfer speeds if it means spending all that money for little overall improvements?
>>
>>54661200
just auto-filter tripfags, famalam. never been happier
>>
>>54661714
>what is a PCIe to USB3.0 adapter
>what is a USB 3 extension cable

If you back up TB of data every day, you'll definitely care about USB 3 vs USB 2.
>>
>>54661709
I don't think you realize how shit processors on laptops let alone ultraportables are.

>playing vidya with a 1Ghz core-m processor and R9 390
lmao have fun with that senpai
>>
>>54661733
>muh sekrit klub
I hate tripfags as much as the next guy but I'm not a pussy like you all and filter them. I ignore them like a normal human being. Christ are SJWs or something?
>>
>>54661139
3.1 is integrated with thunderbolt 3
>>
>>54661139
>not falling for the far superior USB 3.11 for Workgroups meme
>>
>>54661364
>~40MB/s is plenty enough to transfer data from your PC to android phone or another hard drive. It's like 2.5GB/minute, that's still plenty fast for most uses. If all you do is transfer stuff between your PC and phone then USB 2.0 is all you need.
1. People use USB for lots of other things
2. The upgrade thunderbolt 3 allows for running displays over thunderbolt and extending the pcie bus, this doesn't mean only GPUs
>>
>>54661751
Ultraportables are a different story but laptops really aren't all that bad. 5-10 years ago they were shit-tier but now they're reasonably powerful.
>>
>>54661840
Sure, a 45W Intel Core i7 for laptops isn't that far off from a desktop chip, but Core M and the 15W i5s and i7s are still not good enough for modern gaming.
>>
>>54661821
>>54661613
>>54661662

Just ignore the retarded tripfag, guys.
>>
>>54661821
>2. The upgrade thunderbolt 3 allows for running displays over thunderbolt and extending the pcie bus, this doesn't mean only GPUs
Which HDMI already fucking does. Are you seriously implying inhell hd graphics are gonna run 3 4k monitors? Also extending the pcie bus is only done for eGPUs nothing more.
>>
>>54661880
Thank you pajeet, 50 rupees have been deposited to your apple positivity account.
>>
>>54661898
>Which HDMI already fucking does.
HDMI doesn't support 10gbit ethernet + thunderbolt + pcie + display.

>Also extending the pcie bus is only done for eGPUs nothing more.
No, it allows for any pcie peripheral to be attached. I.e. professional sound cards, raid cards, literally anything that can be connected via pcie.
>>
>>54661898
since when does HDMI give you a link to PCIe? HDMI limits you to a single 1920x1200 or less display unless you're on HDMI 2.0. Does not support multiple displays through a single port.

It's not just for eGPUs, it can be used for anything.
>>
File: 1463066366617.gif (1 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1463066366617.gif
1 MB, 245x245
>>54661929
>No, it allows for any pcie peripheral to be attached. I.e. professional sound cards, raid cards, literally anything that can be connected via pcie.
>>
>>54661956
-2/10
That's actually the lowest score I've ever given.
>>
>>54661898
Intel HD 530 graphics has a pixel fill rate of 2.8 GPixel/s

source:http://www.trustedreviews.com/intel-skylake-review-core-i7-6700k-and-core-i5-6600k-review-intel-hd-graphics-530-and-z170-chipset-page-2

3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400 pixels

8294400 pixels per screen * 3 screens * 60 times/sec = 1,492,992,000 pixel/s

It's absolutely within the realm of possibility, but not for gaming obviously.
>>
I already have a PSU and GPU I can cannibalize, just give me a clean PCI-thunderbolt adapter/case.
for fuck's sake, the cheapest one on the horizon is the fucking proprietary alienware one at like $250.
It's not hard, and it will work with every machine that will be released from here on out.
>>
>>54661969
>Intel HD 530 graphics has a pixel fill rate of 2.8 GPixel/s
jesus that's it? I get that it's integrated but I thought Intel had come further than that.
>>
>>54662001
Considering how little die size and power it takes, it's actually impressive.
>>
>>54662035
I guess I just expected more given the 7800GTX had a theoretical ~7GPixel/s 11 years ago
>>
>>54661662
rare pepe
>>
>>54662057
Good point, but to be fair the HD 530 is a low tier graphics solution, even among Intel's lineup. It also has 512 MB memory max and lower bandwidth than the 7800 GTX.
>>
>>54662169
yeah I'm not dissing it, I guess I just expected them to be further along

I think modern integrated graphics are way more shader heavy than discrete graphics were 10 years ago though
>>
>>54661212
And it's super expensive.
>>
I wish there were more than just Apple monitors that used a single Thunderbolt connection so that the monitor could have a build in USB hub.
>>
Why is processor voltage a serious argument against eGPUs? A laptop designed for use with an eGPU could have a more powerful CPU that is undervolted in normal conditions, and when you put it into the eGPU dock that has extra cooling, it would use more power and run faster.
>>
>>54662273
If you only need it when docked, why carry it around in the first place?
>>
>>54661272
>carrying around a gpu enclosure
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>54662119
>nose vacuum
Every time.
>>
>>54662337
That's what it would boil down to cunt rag.
>>
>>54662312
Because you don't? Only the laptop is supposed to be portable. The eGPU is for when you don't need portability. The point is to have a portable machine for everyday stuff, and a powerful desktop replacement for when you're at home. These aren't meant to replace full blown gaming laptops.
>>
>>54662337
>*Alienware product
>Are you fucking retarded?
ftfy
>>
>>54662450
>use enclosure at home
>use laptop as a laptop when out

IT'S CALLED COMMON SENSE YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>54662927
I guarantee you there will be some mactard in a coffee shop lugging around his eGPU enclosure and macbook.
>>
>>54662941
Of course. I've seen people using iMacs at starbucks, that won't surprise me
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.