[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Reality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: vive.jpg (86 KB, 1000x565) Image search: [Google]
vive.jpg
86 KB, 1000x565
VR Thread!

I got to demo the HTC Vive this morning at a Microcenter in my town. Let me tell you /g/, it was fucking awesome.

Before today, the only VR tech that I had gotten to try was my Google Cardboard that I got for free. The Cardboard was fun for like a few days then I sort of forgot about it. It felt sort of gimmicky so I was kind of skeptical about VR being the next big thing. I have completely changed my mind though. Demoing the Vive was so mindblowing.

I got to do a few different demos. The first was a sort of landing room or something where you pick what games you want to play and stuff. You can play around with the motion controllers in here and create balloons and bop them around. Pretty neat.
Then I got to try out TiltBrush. I could literally play around in that shit for hours. Being able to draw in a 3D space and move around and look at it from different angles is crazy.
After that, I was transported to a sunken pirate ship thing where fish were swimming around, and a giant whale swims in front of you. I swear to you, it seems like you're fucking THERE. Everything looks so 3D and has depth. Fish would swim right in front of you and you can look around them. You seriously can't understand just how immersive it is unless you try it. I think that's the biggest thing with people thinking VR is gimmicky, like I did. With the Vive, it's totally immersive. All you see is the world you're in. The scale of everything is just mindblowing.

I think the controllers and motion tracking with the sensors is absolutely necessary for VR. With other headsets like the Oculus or Gear, you're pretty much just strapping a fancy screen on your head. Head tracking is cool, but it loses its fun quickly. Being able to use your hands, being able to bend down and look at shit or hold it close to your face to examine it, that's what did it for me. I felt like I was in the virtual world. (Continued)
>>
Hey, shill, Oculus Touch engineering samples have already been sent out. You cucks are months away from losing your only advantage.
>>
>>54659505
Oculus is the Apple of VR.
>>
I've spent all day thinking about the implications of VR and all the shit its going to replace.

One of things I didn't like about the Vive is all the cables coming out of the back of the headset. Not being able to see it, I kept worrying that I was going to trip over it. It felt like it got wrapped around my leg sometimes. It's not terrible or anything, but I wish you didn't have to be tied to your PC. A standalone headset would be so much better. I know we're not close to that, though, because you need a high-end PC to run the Vive.

That's really my only problem with it though. Overall, it was fucking awesome and I wish everyone could have the opportunity to try it out. I promise you you'll be convinced. IMO, this shit is the FUTURE. I can't wait for VR to be consumer available. I've been watching YouTube videos of all the cool shit people are coming up with.

Once the Vive is at an affordable price (it was like $799 to preorder) , I am definitely getting one.

So what does /g/ think about VR? Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience.
>>
>>54659505
I knew that was coming. I'm not a shill. I just wanted to share my experience and see what /g/ thought. The shit blew my mind anon. VR is crazy.
>>
>>54659520
Yep, and I had such high hopes too. I guess Palmer should have read the contract more carefully. Oh well, hopefully Oculus acts as a launching point for many other VR companies.
>>
File: 1461041436587.jpg (49 KB, 273x767) Image search: [Google]
1461041436587.jpg
49 KB, 273x767
I just bought my vive and was charged for it immediately.

What gives? Its not shipping for months and it explicity said it wont charge until it ships

Thats a lot of money to have tied up.
>>
File: 1399331854502.jpg (20 KB, 281x266) Image search: [Google]
1399331854502.jpg
20 KB, 281x266
>>54659505
Besides the fact the vive is literally better hardware, and doesn't have the facebook bullshit implemented into the OS
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.