[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any professional penetration testers here? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: infosec-2.jpg (464 KB, 900x467) Image search: [Google]
infosec-2.jpg
464 KB, 900x467
Are there any professional penetration testers here? I'm going back to school and I'm undecided at the moment but I'll probably do networking. Anyway, I really enjoy infosec anad I'm thinking about shooting for a cert after college. I know that infosec covers a ton of different fields so it'll probably be years until I'm actually any good at it. I have about ten years of experience with UNIX & GNU/Linux and a basis on metasploit, forensics, programming and networking but my reverse engineering skills are shit. I enjoy CTF as well but have never been in a competition. I'm looking for some first hand experience on exactly what I'm getting myself into.
>Is infosec everything you expected it would be?
>As a penetration tester, what does your job mainly consist of, standard security audits or is it more rigorous?
>Any tips you wouldn't mind passing down to someone such as myself?
>>
>cert after collage
>got mine in school

Lol you dumb bitch
>>
i penetration tested you're mom
>>
>>54653861
It's boring as fuck paper pushing all day every day. Do you really have no other career choices?
>>
>>54655192
What are you certified is dumb cunt?
>>
>>54655463
You're full of shit. What kind of fucking job do you have?
>>
90% research, 10% actual exploitation

and then hours and hours of reporting, but not before hours and hours of planning and scoping.

being able to look at different companies that all have different setups is nice though, since no two companies will do everything the same.
>>
>>54655771
That doesn't sound too bad. All I do on the computer is research anyway. There's always something new to learn.
>>
>>54655737
I pen test for banks
>>
>>54655808
If you pentest for banks then it shouldn't entirely consist of paper pushing.
>>
>>54655808
Any interesting insights to offer on SWIFT?
>>
>watched mr. robot
>>
>>54655864
I hated that show. I thought it was going to be good at first but nope...
>cringeworthy
>>
>>54655463
Bullshit

>>54653861
It's exciting. You get to look around systems and try and find new ways to break in, creativity at it's best.
>>
>>54656853
That's what I thought. I mean, should I hone my programming more? All I really do is write shell scripts. I know some Python and have a basis on a few other languages.
>>
>>54656966
programming is definitely important. You need to be able to come up with new exploits and such to bypass any patches. You should not rely on exploit-db or some CVE to provide you access. Certainly because new IDS/IPS devices are being invented all the time.
>>
>>54657006
My main issue is that even though C/C++ are my favorites they can be kind of ambiguous. Which languages do you see the most of? I'm thinking Perl, Assembly, C/C++, Python and I don't know, maybe PHP, Ruby and Javascript. I never bothered with the last three because of all the CVE's and exploits for them. I probably should though.
>>
>>54657165
Assembly would be more towards when you already have access to the system and need to implement some sort of access-maintaining program or such to bypass Anti-Viruses. Python, Ruby, and Perl are very useful. I mainly see C targeted towards more linux systems.

However if part of your scope would be web-based pentesting, then yeah, PHP, JavaScript, learn some SQL while you're at it too.
>>
>>54657271
I've done some basic SQL injections on sandboxed networks but nothing too serious. I'm trying to set up a CTF team because there's a few of us that do have a lot of experience and I also feel that more people should get into infosec. Thanks man. I appreciate it.
>>
>>54657676
A good way to improve your pentesting abilities is trying out VM's like tr0ll, metasploitable(meh), kioptrix(even work anymore over NAT or Host-Only?), etc.

Try and come up with new ways each time to break in, and try and set a faster time.
>>
>>54657839
Vulnhub is a decent resource if you weren't aware.
https://www.vulnhub.com/
If you were aware,you're alright.
>>
>>54658108
Yeah but I was just giving specific ones that I personally have experience with.
>>
>>54657839
Yeah, I play with Metasploitable 2 a bit. I haven't hardened it at all yet. There's a few fun things to play with on there. That's the only one I've used.
>>
>>54658837
tr0ll 1 and tr0ll 2 are great. Lots of ways to break in.
>>
File: 777.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
777.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
if you don't go to uni, you can pretty much bulk order kneepads now to to suck the dicks that are INCOMING IN FUTURE NEAR YOU!
>>
>>54659036
I do go to uni you fucking retard.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.