[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
taking picrelated online
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: C_Programming.png (107 KB, 792x1023) Image search: [Google]
C_Programming.png
107 KB, 792x1023
i learned python (through free online tuts /youtube) myself and have decided to try something more difficult.
>
if any else has made this "jump" or learned C i would like to know what is difficult about
>>
do you know what's hard? starting to read that book rather than reading it.
>>
>>54652857
the only difficult part is 'getting' pointers and memory management

all programming languages are easy to learn, but using them correctly and efficiently is another thing..
>>
>>54652857
Also learned most of what i know in free tuts

It isnt hard, except you have to understand the pointer thing, but in my opinion it wasnt that hard to learn
>>
>>54652857
chars are ints
>
string are actually arrays of ints
>>
>>54653597
Everything that is computed is a number anyway.

C doesn't treat characters any differently, it just doesn't hide the truth.

A computer always stores characters as numbers and always stores multiple characters as multiple numbers.
>>
>>54652952
Jesus christ i know what you mean, Those GD pointers...

I even have that book in OP's pic and the example in it appears to be wrong.

They have it as:
void swap(int x, int y)

when i believe it should be:
void swap(int *x,int *y)

where swap(&a,&b); is passed to it.

Unless im just retarded, But the example in the book doesn't compile for me.
>>
>>54652857
"C" isn't difficult. People find "C" difficult because they're retarded and haven't learnt ot properly. A simple guide to mastering "C" is understand it before using it.
>>
>>54655566
Yeah seems wrong to me too, maybe they used some homebrew compiler which didn't give a shit at all
>>
>>54655566

Doesn't compile?

Well, that's why you have a debugger.

Read it.
>>
I'm interested in starting to learn programming with C prog language. I have 2 books I saw /g/ recommending: King's C Modern Approach and this K&R pic related in OP's. I'm inclinated to think that King's would be better for a total and stupid beginner cuz it has more pages, is that right?

Also, what would be good sites and open source software to read C code from so I can learn it properly?
>>
>>54656946
Go with the K.N. King book.

Mix it up with C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata.

But do the exercises in King's book, they're the only ones worth doing.

As for sites, the CS50x course on edx.org teaches C.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.