[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Isn't dual booting awesome /g/? You get to use Good old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: Screenshot_2016-05-20_10-43-45.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-20_10-43-45.png
1 MB, 1600x900
Isn't dual booting awesome /g/?

You get to use Good old WIndows AND ubuntu. Best of both worlds!
>>
>>54651510
>Ubuntu best of GNU\Linux world.
No.
>>
>>54651531
It is linux
>>
>>54651510
>Try to install architect
>Follow exact instructions from video tutorial
>Grub updates, reboot, Windows does not show up
>Insert Windows disc to do startup-repair, cannot resolve
>Reformat and reinstall Windows and lose all my shit for nothing

Fuck you
>>
>>54651631
accidentally wiping your Windows partition is a rite of passage in the Linux community
>>
>>54651653
It did not wipe the partition, it fucked up the boot loader. Grub is the absolute worst fucking ever.

Even Syslinux is more Windows friendly when I installed Arch the hard way. Architect only works on VM, install it bare metal and it fucks up constantly.
>>
>>54651631
Should have gone with debian based.
>>
>>54651678
babby cant into grub
>>
What is bootrec.exe /FixMbr
>>
>>54651680
Debian and its derivatives have issue with wireless and sound. Manjaro worked very well though.
>>
>>54651700
ah good to hear. yeah that works well. I'm using xubuntu not actual debian. not much point in pure debian anymore . for me anyhow
>>
>>54651694
I installed it correct to /dev/sda/ which was my windows partition and mounted dev/sda3/ during install which was my Linux root partition. I am stupid but not that stupid. I have done Ubuntu netinstall many times without any problem.
>>
>>54651712
>i installed ubuntu and it worked

wow fucking good job, kys
>>
>>54651710
Manjaro implementation of Xfce and KDE is beautiful. Compare that to Kubuntu and Xubuntu, they look like shit honestly.

Compton on xfce was go-to choice for me for a long time.
>>
>>54651678
There are a heap of reasons why it might not have shown up but usually it's because you don't have ntfs-3g or something installed. You can usually check the grub config file before reboot to make sure that windows actually gets detected.

Hell, it's not even hard to manually add an entry to your grub menu for wangblowers
>>
>>54651739
I am already on suicide watch.
>>
>>54651712
>/dev/sda which was my windows partition
idiot
>>
>>54651812
You install grub to windows partition because that is where MBR is to dual boot. What is the problem? If you are using Linux stand alone then you can do it in the root partition.
>>
>>54651739
>>54651812
>>54651694

Reasons why Linux will never be truly respected by the population:

1. Cancerous community
>>
>>54651750
Long time compton user as well. Also used with openbox. I know how to rice xfce4 quite well. also ran xfce+openbox with tiling script. I am glad xfce4 added the middle click to close on panel. that was smething that made me happy.
>>
>>54651882
If someone is fucking incompetent, they deserve to be ridiculed. That's what gives incentive to learn.

faggot.
>>
>>54651850
unless you manage to install windows to a partitionless disk, /dev/sda isn't your windows partition
HDDs have a thing called the boot sector which is located at /dev/sda
it contains 512 bytes telling your PC where your bootloader is located
you did right by installing grub there, but you didn't add windows to it

basically, you're an idiot for solving it by reinstalling Windows when all you had to do was edit grub.cfg to add windos
>>
>>54651510
>2016
>dual booting when you can VM at practically no performance loss
>>
>>54651882
Reasons why Windows will never be truly respected by the community:

1. Retarded users
>>
>>54651882
yup. actually why I avoid some linux talk and it. the people who use it are normally just horrible minded

get some system error or do not know some long terminal command. " you fucking retard"

system fuck sup after an update " fix it you retard. it's your system. it is your fault!"
>>
no thanks. I dualbooted Windows and Ubuntu for a while but inevitably after a couple weeks grub went full retard. I have a Windows machine for games and Photoshop and a Linux one for general use
>>
>>54651631
>Not being able to configure dual bot even with a fucking assisted install

Next level
>>
>>54651631
lel
>>
>people still butthurt about failed arch installs
>it sours them forever more
>too stupid to know the specific drivers for their PC (obv not even CompTIA certified)
>all they have to do is install antergos, manjaro, or use the architect installer and select ALL driver options
>>
File: 1455897112810.gif (3 MB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1455897112810.gif
3 MB, 400x250
what are some good dual boot progs
>>
>>54651631
Did you install Grub os prober?
>>
>>54652738
saucs!!
>>
>>54651510
>giving the BOTNET cancer bare metal access
>>
not really since one offsets the others' swap partition and makes it slower.
>>
>>54651967
This.
>>
Ubuntu bare metal plus Win8.1 VM master race.
>>
Too much work. I just got another computer.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (45 KB, 681x496) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
45 KB, 681x496
Yes, the two most spoonfeeding OS's in the world. Why not just stick with one, fucking newfag cuck
>>
>>54656757
y u mad tho
>>
Using a Linux Host and Windows VM is a superior solution. It keeps the Windows garbage away from real man's work.
>>
>>54656801
>Using a Linux Host and Windows VM is a superior solution.
Except Windows is the OS you actually need bare-metal performance in, not Linux

Linux drivers for your GPU/etc are always worse to begin with
>>
I dual boot except I never use windows any more. And if I do want to use windows then it forces me to chkdsk every time even though my HDD is fine, and I can't skip it even if I mash the fuck out of my keyboard, then when windows checks the disk it deletes files from my shared ntfs partition that windows doesn't like. Windows is just shit and retarded, I'd nuke it entirely if I weren't so lazy.
>>
>>54656857
Stop being so lazy you fat fucking pajeet
>>
>>54656800
y u try too hard?
>>
>>54656839
>needing bare metal performance on your desktop

plebs be plebbin again.

Did you not understand "real man's work"

*baka*
>>
*baka*
>>
>>54651510
I won't even go out in the snow unless I have dual boots.
>>
File: my_Gentoo.jpg (504 KB, 3856x1080) Image search: [Google]
my_Gentoo.jpg
504 KB, 3856x1080
Why are people so afraid of Gentoo?
>>
>>54657181
>needing bare metal performance on your desktop
>Did you not understand "real man's work"

what is CAD
what is MATLAB
>>
>>54651694
grub is shit m8, I don't know why people put up with that junk when there's refind
>>
>>54657416
> what is MATLAB
cancer
>>
>>54651694
grub is terrible
>>
Dual booting is indeed awesome
But dont try putting GNU/Linux on the same hard drive as windows
I heard alot of bad thing with bootloader corruption when windows updates
>>
>>54658014
Disable fast boot for windows. It's a problem with dual boot. Can cause efi or other partition data corruption.
>>
>>54658074
Will do
>>
>>54651510
Why would I use Windows though?
>>
>>54651653
>wiping your Windows partition
One of Linux's greatest features,imho.
>>
>Upgrade cpu and mobo.
>Decided to make a fresh install
>Took almost 2 days to get a dual boot of win + ubuntu up and running.
>>
>>54658014
That's funny, most times when my dualboot fucks up it's when Grub updates.

But yeah, dualboot is nice. Even if Grub or the Windows bootloader fucks something up it's mostly a temporary annoyance (as long as you keep your important files on different partitions, which as a fa/g/ you should always do).
>>
>>54658104
Because you bought a prebuilt, so you already paid for it. And you're part Jewish.
>>
>>54658104
gay men
>>
>>54651882
>Cancerous community
Wizard level channers, really.I love the angry banter of the Linux community,to be honest.
>>
>>54657200
underrated post

also, dubs!
>>
>dual booting
What is this, 2006?
>>
>>54656801
Can I create an image of my windows partition and boot it a VM, so I can get rid of the physical partition?
>>
VM in 2016 moron
If you truly need dual boot make a hybrid vm that can also boot to metal.
>>
>>54658438
>>54658255

>VM
>Womyn in tech
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 1000x750
I think I fucked up. I updated my Wacom drivers in my Ubuntu partition and it downloaded a shitload of shit from here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver.
>>
Hey guys ubuntu gets stuck at the login screen now and won't do anything.

Like when I go to user it just resets. Should I just wipe my HDD and start over? It's actually been doing this for months now and I've just been using windows.
>>
>>54660581
Also not it started fucking up when I tried installing a Nvidia update while using ubuntu
>>
>>54660581
Switch to gentoo and stop being such a cuck
>>
>>54651678
>Grub is the absolute worst fucking ever.
Correct you are. Which is why I use rEFInd, and you should, too.
>>
>>54651510
Totes, bro. I really only use windows when I do work with the Adobe Suite.
>>
>>54651631
Have you ever heard of a fucking backup? Asshat.
>>
Nah not really. It's still restarting everytime you want to do something specific.

So I have to stop my torrents or my podcasts or so just so I can play something? Eh. Fuck that.
>>
>>54663826
I mean I personally believe that Linux is moreover meant for Laptops. I would never put linux on my desktop.
>>
>>54663835
Yeah, it's pretty suitable for that. If I had any use for a laptop I wouldn't use Windows on it because the two things I require from Windows (Illustrator and games) are things I'm not going to use on a laptop.

What pisses me off to no end is the fact I have right here a tablet that could be used as a laptop with a linux distro but can't, because it's a weird ass clover trail tablet with barely any support there.
>>
File: gnu linux and windows - PC.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gnu linux and windows - PC.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>54663826
Learn to gpu-passthrough if you don't want to dual-boot.
>>
>>54663911
My problem is not learning how, it's the amount of time it takes, the fact that I don't know which distro to stick with so that I don't have to do the whole process again and that I just have 8GB of RAM which for some games is just about enough, but on a virtual machine it's a different subject.
>>
>>54651946
? So if someone is trying to install Linux but he is not magically knowing how to fix simple problems he deserves to be ridiculed right? How does he dare to approach Linux.
>>
>>54651958
Or use windows retarded friendly alternative - insert repair CD or USB from windows - write 1 word and have boot fixed.
>>
>>54652760
Ubuntu install iso will automatically sort it out for you - or if you install Arch there's just one extra command line you have to write.
>>
>>54656899
But he tried very little he actually used meme abbreviations instead of full words - it means he tried less, consumed less energy and actually managed to even trigger you.

It looks like you lost.
>>
File: 1463523398132.png (1 MB, 1366x1536) Image search: [Google]
1463523398132.png
1 MB, 1366x1536
>>54663941
>the amount of time it takes
A one-time setup that's worth the time it takes.

>the fact that I don't know which distro to stick with so that I don't have to do the whole process again
All distros are the same. Stick to one flavor and stay with that.
>>
>>54651510
>you get to use spyware AND an OS full of bugs.
FTFY
>>
>>54664011
All distros are the same my ass. If I wanted for instance to use proprietary drivers for my AMD card without issues I would have to use anything but Ubuntu 16.10. A couple of years ago if I wanted Nemo to work fine with plugins, anything like Arch was going to be a broken mess.
>>
>>54664035
Why are you using AMD?
>>
>>54651631
>not installing rEFInd
I immediately found your issue
>>
>>54664042
Because I got a decent deal and I have no issues on Windows?
>>
>>54664055
Yea on windows there are no issues for Linux there re.

If you got a good deal then there's no problem - it's only stupid to get AMD when you pay full price.
>>
File: anime.gif (407 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
anime.gif
407 KB, 500x354
Dual booting is great, unless you are using Botnet 10. I actually experimented with that on a separated machine and the botnet always broke.

Plus, it also fucks up Grub with some big updates, like the "Threshold 2" update. Pretty shit.
>>
>>54664552
To tell you the truth, I'm not that happy with my current GPU (280x) even though I got it at half its price on the market back then.

I know there are issues on linux. I was thinking, in the event that I actually went and did the whole gpu passthrough thing it wouldn't really matter much though because I'd have to use my integrated graphics (intel hd 4600) and I would guess that the AMD GPU would work roughly the same way on that virtual machine as it does on Windows (just with a bit of a loss of performance due to CPU usage I would assume?)

Just like I said, another 40 dollars just so I can use my system on top of another one doesn't seem like the best current idea and there's quite a few tutorials on that gpu passthrough thing, the difficulty I see is that I don't even know which to follow at all. The only level of experience I have is being able to set up Arch with my DE of preference which isn't a problem.
>>
>>54651631
>Follow exact instructions from video tutorial
i bet it told you to format /dev/sda as one partition didnt it.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.