[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HDD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 720x820) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 720x820
>Data backup company Backblaze has released statistics of hard drive failure rates within its data centers based on over 61,000 drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/
>>
>>54649220
This is like the 4th time I've seen this thread. Wtf?
>>
percentage looking great

>thirtysixthousanddedharddrive
>seagate
>good

seagate owner is topcuck
>>
>>54649220
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/944-6/disques-durs.html

/thread
>>
>>54649418
>shilltown
man seagate must be sliding this shit
>>
>>54649391
Yup they are literally gambling their data at this point, annualized failure rates in the 20-30% range are literally defective by design and are worthy of some serious penalties, you are basically guaranteed to lose your data under normal usage

On the other hand it's alot less painful for a data center to swap out redundant drives than a home user who just lost their last week/month/year of data and needs to buy another main disk
>>
>>54649220
mother of god

now that WD bought Hitachi, will Hitachi's percentage of failures go up until it reaches WD averages?

are they still made in differents fabs so there's still a difference in quality, or are exactly the same with just different brand?
>>
>shuck tons of refurbed and external consumer grade drives, stick them in your shitty custom enclosures that expose the drives to more vibration then they were ever designed for or should be subject to, and then publish "reliability statistics" based off of that
The dataset is garbage. They also bought a ton of a known defective 3TB Seagate model.

I won't buy Seagate because of their shit warranty nowadays but I'll buy Western Digital without hesitation.
>>
File: 12 - 0et0M8b.gif (289 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
12 - 0et0M8b.gif
289 KB, 400x225
>>54649220
>using consumer grade drives in enterprise
>>
>>54652035
they run as separate companies it's just that WD has done fuck all with the assets and manufacturing processes they gained in the transfer
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.