[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ please help. I don't know whats going on anymore,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
/g/ please help.

I don't know whats going on anymore, Earlier today my computer winked out, and My second monitor, mouse and keyboard all lost power, I took the tower down to check and I can only assume the USB port on the back fizzled out, because each time I tried an individual plug it recieved no power.

But after fixing and putting it all back in, I found two things.

One. My external hard drive is no longer recognized by the computer (I tried it on my laptop, it sitll works and has data)

Two. My SD card reader no longer reads, it doesnt even light up anymore.

Somehow both my drives went black, and I have no idea what caused it, and i'm really upset. /it was working perfectly fine this morning.

Its an HP pavillion Desktop, AMD radeon card, Hewlert packard if that helps any.
>>
>>54644356
did your psu died?
>>
>>54644366
I have no idea, and no idea how to replace it if thats the case.
>>
>>54644366
Probably.
>>
>>54644356
PSUs output decays over time
Probably what's happened is yours no longer has enough output to run everything but can still run vital components

I'd say try running your computer off a buddy's PSU to be 100% sure it's the problem then replace it outright
>>
>>54644434
Sorry but this is all new to me, whats involved in replacing it? Is it just a simple part?

PC is only about 2-3 years old, its still fairly new-ish
>>
>>54644488
If your PC is only 2-3 years old I'd recommend checking the manufacturer website to see if you can RMA it

Otherwise see if the one in your case lists its watt output when it was new; buy one online with the same or greater output
check the wiki for what brands are currently trusted; Seasonic is usually the go to brand but other brands can be just as good at the moment (it varies)

If the one you already have doesn't list its wattage you're gonna have to use a calculator; google one.
For uninstalling a PSU you unplug all the cords coming out of it (usually HDD; disk drive one motherboard line and the graphics card) and unscrew it from the case and it either can be pulled straight out or will slide off a rack

You may run into trouble with zip-locked cords; cut the zip-locks and dont cut the wires.

If you can't RMA and the other bit is too difficult it shouldn't cost more than $50 to get someone else to replace it for you; plus the cost of the part itself. In an ideal situation they'll also clean out all the dust inside your machine at the same time which is something everyone should do but is a huge pain in the ass; if you cant find someone who'll do both for $50 I'd say pay up to $20 extra.
>>
Could be stuxnet. Are you running any centrifuges?
>>
>>54644622
Sorry, its a prebuilt, so i wouldn't know the first thing about opening it.. but if i can pay someone, i guess ill look into it.

>>54644634
Sorry, no idea what any of that means

Also.

I rebooted the PC to factory default and it forced windows 10 on me just now. I can't get 8 back can I?
>>
>>54644742
7 > 10 > 8 anyway
factory default settings wont help with your problem I dont think anyway. Just check online if its under warranty and if not call a tech guy or friend and make sure there aren't any hidden charges.
>>
>>54644983
So, in otherwords theres no way to restore this? I /have/ to buy parts or a new PC?

I really don't want to spend any money on this if it can be avoided, I just had a birthday...
>>
>>54645524
learn to build a PC yourself to avoid this shit in the future
every pre-built manufacturer puts shitty power supplies in their systems
>>
>>54645524
You can get a new PSU for less than $40 or just remove one from computers that sometimes get dumped on the streets.
>>
Before I do that,

Is there any way to restore an uninstalled Internal SD reader? I dunno why, but in device manager it looks like the SD card reader doesnt even exist anymore, it shows up as blank.

is that maybe a driver issue? Because windows update says theres no more updates/drivers needed.
>>
>>54645719
>less then $40

Why lie to him?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.