[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have an e-reader? Do you like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1463591318043.png (132 KB, 399x287) Image search: [Google]
1463591318043.png
132 KB, 399x287
Do you have an e-reader? Do you like it?
>>
>>54642974
I got a yarvik, 20 bucks off Amazon awhile ago.
It's not fancy. It does have room for a memory card and stores hundreds of my books I didn't pay for. Battery lasts all week with moderate use. Moderate being some reading on my lunch hour and late at night before I go to bed.
I love it.
>>
>>54642974
Old school Kindle, I think 2nd gen. Yeah, it's still my go-to reading device. Probably one of my best tech investments ever.
>>
Had the original Nook years back. Got off e-readers for awhile, then had the itch again. Grabbed a Kindle Voyage. Great investment, love the e-ink... Easy on the eyes.
>>
>>54642974
Kindle Paperwhite

best purchase I've ever made
works in any light
uses common formats so free books everywhere
probably paid for itself several times over already
>>
>>54642974

I've got an old Kobo Touch, works like a champ, battery lasts weeks at a time, it's compatible with lots of formats, and very pirate friendly.
>>
File: Nook_with_Glowlight_09.jpg (539 KB, 1333x889) Image search: [Google]
Nook_with_Glowlight_09.jpg
539 KB, 1333x889
I have this guy. I just finished reading The Long Walk by Stephen King, wouldn't recommend.
>>
File: amazon-kindle-dx-graphite.jpg (164 KB, 1000x620) Image search: [Google]
amazon-kindle-dx-graphite.jpg
164 KB, 1000x620
>>54642974
I had a kindle dx and a regular kindle. It was such a hassle trying to read technical books on them and find the right page. The only reason I can see for using one is if you read a shit load of books and dont want to pay for any of them.
>>
>>54642974
I have a kindle touch. I like it for the easy of yarrharr and portability but it doesn't have a backlight and reading PDFs is kind of a hassle plus you can't fucking manage your collections using an actual computer, you have to do everything through the touch screen.

I just wish I could find something with an A4-sized screen that wasn't Sony's $1200 PDF-only monstrosity.
>>
>purposefully using devices that cannot read colored books
ebin
>>
>>54642974
I have a Kindle Paperwhite from 2014. Its good for reading .mobis but you gotta convert every other format in calibre. Its also AWFUL at reading even OCR pdf's let alone OCR-less pdf's.
>>
>>54643580
Got one too, works very well and the battery lasts forever.
>>
The fascinating about these readers are that you dont have to carry heavy book like the stepehen king ones with you. I got a kindle paperwhite and i think it is in most ways better than reading than a actual book, bwcause you dont have to mess with the pages and its relatively lightweight
>>
>>54646084
>>>/co/
>>
Now, cases.
My old kindle 3G is about as delicate as a newborn, so I cannibalized a shitty book for a case. Problem being, the spine is absolutely trashed now, a couple years down the line.
Any better solutions?
>>
>>54642974
I also have a kindle Paperwhite (version 2 i think) and i really enjoy reading on it. It could respond a little faster (especially refresh the page faster) though.
The weight is okay compared to a regular book, but if the battery life wouldn't be affected i would prefer a lighter one.
>>
>>54643640
>The only reason I can see for using one is if you read a shit load of books and dont want to pay for any of them.
this
>>
>>54646084
I wouldn't really need it, but for browsing the web or just to display the book covers nicely it would be nice.
But i'd rather have a colored screen or a big digital photoframe with colored e-paper display. The Pebble Time already has one i just don't know why nobody starts to produce larger color e-paper screens.
>>
Is a high-res e-reader worth it? My head hurts just thinking about an 800x600 display but I haven't used e-ink before so it may not matter.

I'm planning on getting one but I haven't decided which one. Main purpose would be novels but also chess books so the diagrams need to be clear.
>>
>>54643551
>uses common formats so free books everywhere
How? I usually have to first import ebooks in Calibre, which converts them to Amazons proprietary .azw format. I don't think the Kindle Paperwhite supports any other formats unless you install a custom OS.
>>
>>54642974
yes
yes
>>
I hate mine. Got some old Kindle. Not worth it IMO. If you live near a used book store, just go there.
>>
>>54648864
It supports a lot of formats, such as pdf, mobi txt, and these comic book formats which are actually just zipped images

However as far as i know epub files and so on have to be converted to work
>>
>>54648792
Are using my kindle currently to learn for the finals.

As you can see I have opened a pdf, and all figurines are in their place. However the text is a bit messed up because i scaled a DIN A4 papersheet down to kindle display size
>>
>>54642974
Have the Sony PRS-T2 and its a cool device.
Even if I had the hardcopy of a book, I'd still prefer reading it on the Sony reader.
It has a click-on-word dictionary which is nice and I also like the commenting options + Evernote sync. Browser is also quite useable.
E-Ink readers only work when you have a plain text book without graphics though.
>>
File: IMG_20160520_151541.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_151541.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>54650506
Forgot the pic
>>
File: 0005.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0005.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>54642974
Be me.
Buy kindle.
Like it a lot.
Weight of kindle is enough to trigger my carpul tunnel.
MFW.
>>
Tried using my iPad 2 as an e-reader for a while
Don't recommend it
Tablets are nice for reading web pages, but not entire books
Tried my friends kindle (one of the e-paper ones)
It's really easy on the eyes and easy to transport
Miss the feel of progressing through a book even though I try to cram technology into everything
>>
>>54642974
I have an old sony one that has expandable storage, and can read all the ebook formats.

Its great, but it doesn't have a light like newer fancier models which is unfortunate.
>>
>>54643620
The book or the e-reader?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.