[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Favorite fan is making annoying metal scraping noise >Need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
>Favorite fan is making annoying metal scraping noise
>Need it to cool things, don't want to have to go buy another one
>take it apart
>clean out all the hair and dust and crap that has been building up over the years
>lube up the motor
>replace a nut that had fallen off and been rattled around in it
>put it back together
>make sure all the screws are tight
>turn it on
>it now makes a different but equally annoying noise

I'm so fucking mad /g/
>>
My tower fan is as loud as a jet even on the lowest setting
>>
I have that exact fan. I took it apart to clean it and ever since it has rattled. I put zip ties all around and put extra rubber pads on it. No dice.
>>
Holy shit, I have a fan that looks exactly like that one but it has different branding on it. I had the exact same experience. It got loud as fuck, so I tore it apart and found a bunch of hair and shit in it. Then I put it back together and it got even louder.
>>
Because you are deforming shit with your so called "expertise". How about cleaning your house instead, ape?
>>
>>54640830
I love this fan because it's insanely strong for its size and it doesn't have a big retard base on it like most fans do so I can just point it at whatever I want to be cool.

But holy fuck I wish it would shut the fuck up
>>
I know this exact frustration.

Years ago I had to make do with an old sears fan, it was really good but after a a few summers of constantly being on high it started to make real obnoxious noises randomly and no matter what I did I could not fix it, cleaning, oiling, different tightness on the frame, whatever. I could do odd rituals to make it silent for some amount of time but it would always return to loud noises eventually then stop on its own. My options were heat death or loud noises, one day this drove me to madness and I removed the frame, it was fine for a while but then the blade broke off the axle and pierced my window screen, I can't blame it since it was running constantly for weeks.

video related from 2012:
https://a.uguu.se/ai01Pw5k0Cy7_VID00135.halfsize.mp4

/blog
>>
>>54641058
Reminds me of an air conditioner at one of my old jobs. It had pens shoved into it all over the place to silence the vibrating areas.
>>
>>54640737
I don't know about these types of fans but IF it has ball bearing the bearing races might be fucked(pitted races,corrosion etc)
>>
>>54641486
Nah it's driven entirely by magnets

has zero moving parts other than the actual fan blades
>>
>>54641521
Er, you might want to read up on how motor bearings work. Most fans like that are sleeve bearing.
>>
>>54641521
These kinds of fans dont have permanent magnets. An electro-magnet induces currents on a metal rotor shaft. These induced currents oppose the original electromagnetic field causing the rotor to spin.
>>
>>54641521
FUCKING MAGNETS HOW DO THEY WORK
>>
>>54640737
Probably has a worn bearing or shim.
>>
>>54641781
The orbital motion of electrons (which have a fundamental property called charge) as well as their spin cause the various types of magnetism
>>
File: FUCKINGMAGNETS.jpg (41 KB, 663x428) Image search: [Google]
FUCKINGMAGNETS.jpg
41 KB, 663x428
>>54641847
AND I DONT WANNA TALK TO SOME SCIENTIST, Y'ALL MUTHAFUCKAS BE LYING AND GETTING ME PISSED
>>
>>54641757
>>54641606
Yeah I went full retard there for a second, I mean it's a sleeve bearing. Didn't remember how to say it.

But yeah, it's not the bearing. I know because the instant I cut power to it the noise stops even as the fan continues to spin. So it's not caused by bearing scraping.
>>
>>54640737
I've gone through two or three of that exact fan in the past. Not one of them lasted more than a year. Essentially, the bearings dry out over winter, so when you finally turn them on the bearings are fucked.
>>
>>54641847
>The orbital motion of electrons
lol what
>>
>>54642269
electrons move (orbit) around the nucleus
>>
>>54642269
>not understanding high-school level chemistry

Enjoy your ban underage b8.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.