[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is switching to Linux a good idea? I have a laptop that came
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 800x1000
Is switching to Linux a good idea?
I have a laptop that came preinstalled win win10, the main reason I kept it was because of the games I pla, plus I'm used to windows, but I really want to use Linux, the main issue is the games. How many games is Linux missing when compared to windows? Is there some kind of statistic or something? If it wasn't too big, I might just switch, if I did, should I get Mint or Ubuntu?
>>
>How many games is Linux missing when compared to windows?
Like 98% of them. Compare the Linux catalog on Steam to the Windows catalog.

>I want to use Linux
Then dual boot.
>>
>>54640591
Get a PS4.
>Or become a man and put away childish things.
>>
>>54640591
a few questions for you:

what games are you wanting to play?

do you have any experience with Linux?

how big is the laptop drive?

do you have experience with drive partitioning?
>>
>>54640591
>mint or ubuntu.
get the fuck out now and kill yourself
>>
>>54640591
Linux might be stressful and considered pointless by some, but install it either on dual boot or on a VM and give it a try, I'd suggest the Debian stable or stretch distro, the "beginner" ones are too windows-like and boring.
>>
>>54640591
What are you, some kind of pussy?
Format your entire hard drive to install gentoo right now and if you look anything up you're a pussy bro
>>
For me: on Linux I play use 23 games out of 64 total.
But some of them are just a "beta", so your game version is outdated and I can't to shit in multi-player.
I would say about 16 are playable without problems.
I can't tell you anything about wine, because I stopped playing video games.
>>
>>54640785
>I'd suggest the Debian stable or stretch distro
Don't do this OP
>>
>>54640818
*Can play
>>
>>54640591
For me, 24 out of the 27 games I own on steam are playable on Linux.

Try dual-booting first. Then whatever you can't play on Linux you can just play on Windows. The games might be even playable in wine.

Debian stretch is the way to go, btw.
>>
>>54640710
This is the fucking reason why windowsfags hate linux users. OP just wants to taste more freedom by choosing a good starter os, sure ubuntu and mint may not be the best, but it's a great start. Instead of telling people what's a good linux os for newbies and what are the cons and pros of ubuntu/mint, you act like fucking autistic fuck who thinks his distro is much superior because you have to use the terminal all the time and do overly complicated task. Just fucking kill yourself you fucking neckbeard, I'm disgusted that linux has such users.
>>
>>54640955
Not him but
>being this butthurt
>>
OP here, if I dualboot will all my files still be on the Linux boot? I have some spicy memes on my laptop that I don't want to lose
>>
>>54641441
Nice argument you got there, buddy.
>>
>>54641445
If windows is pre-installed, then do the partitioning in Windows because windows won't let you fuck up all your files ;D
If you do the partitioning correctly, every file will be there where you left them
(I don't use win10, I don't remember this sentence correctly ;D)
>>
>>54641445
Make a fucking backup, how hard is it?
>>
>>54641445
It won't. But Do you really need to switch to Linux? It's not best solution for games. If you wanna learn it, you can use Virtual Machines or you can install some lightweight distr on USB flash.
>>
>>54641445
Just don't accidentally format the 100mb system partition, yeah i did that on my first time and still regret it
>>
>>54640694
Any games really, mostly CSGO and some newer games

Barely, but I'm no tech-illiterate either

331gb free of 446gb

No
>>
File: Screenshot (25).png (116 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (25).png
116 KB, 1366x768
>>54641550
Way ahead of you :^)
>>
>>54640591
Don't use *nix on a laptop. I can't stress this enough. There's just not enough support yet. It's a crapshoot unless you buy an older laptop you've researched and made sure it has all the right drivers and support. Otherwise prepare for mountains of potential problems.
>No waking up from hibernation or closing lid
>bad audio drivers
>no support for whatever laptop gpu cards you have
>touchpad problems
>terrible battery life (happens on pretty much all laptops running Linux regardless of support)
>secureboot/uefi troubles
etc. Do it on your desktop.
>>
>>54640591
For two reasons you can say Linux has 100% of the software windows has.

1. Wine
2. QEMU

I take you don't know how to use a virtual machine, so use WINE. Look at the software/gaymes you use here https://appdb.winehq.org/
>>
>>54641732
You are so wrong.

My laptop had Lubuntu and Xubuntu and worked excellent.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.