[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For people that have learned to use it, do you think it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: emacs.png (474 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
474 KB, 2000x2000
For people that have learned to use it, do you think it's worth it?
>>
No, and vim isn't worth it either.

Just use a regular IDE for programming.

t. emacs + evil
>>
>>54637888
You shouldn't ask it, because there is a good chance people who have learned stuff tend to supress or "rationalize" the shit parts.

Unlike >>54637916 but there is a chance he might know the ins and outs of other tools.
>>
Mostly used by pedophiles, war criminals, devil worshipers, chronic masturbators, bronies etc. Just use Vi.
>>
It's amazing. I've uninstalled all other text editors and IDE and use only emacs now.

Fuck bloatware.
>>
>>54637888
Yeah. It's pretty good for usage in a terminal.
>>
>>54638032
>>
>>54638032
but Emacs is bloated
>>
>>54637888
Yes, you too will learn to love the keyboard.
>>
>>54637888
It is, but be prepared to spend some time writing elisp to make emacs behave the right way for you. Or switch to a lightweight modal text editor, vim
>>
It is totally worth it. Emacs is my replacement for many programs, not just my IDE.
>>
>>54637888
No.
I prefer Atom. Is a little slower, but looks and works better.
>>
>>54637888
>For people that have learned to use it, do you think it's worth it?
Use spacemacs, it saved time
>>
this is my impression of OP trying to buy into a meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H42jVUavXiA
>>
>>54637888
Yes, totally.
>>
File: 1457553125903.png (166 KB, 633x355) Image search: [Google]
1457553125903.png
166 KB, 633x355
>>54637987
>>
>>54637888
V I M
I E
MEME
E

I still love it
>>
File: spacemacs.png (97 KB, 551x601) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.png
97 KB, 551x601
>>54637888
use pic related
thank me later
>>
>>54637888
I used to use emacs all the time... back in the 1980s.
>>
Yeah, it's great I use it every day.
Just remember, that there's a kind of litmus test in how you adapt either the editor to yourself or you're equipment to it before you start to get RSI.
>>
I like how much you can customize emacs. I've been rewriting my emacs config to better understand all the parts. I use evil with custom keybinding for things.
>>
It's literally slower than Eclipse. Emacs is a kind of trap because there's so much stuff included that you keep thinking "just a little more effort and then it will be good". But the design is fundamentally stuck in the 70s and there's no way to make it as enjoyable to use as a modern IDE.
>>
Org mode alone makes Emacs worth using.
>>
Yes, definitely worth it
>>
I used to heavily rely on org mode.

I switched to microsoft onenote

dont judge me
>>
>>54637888
Theres not much you need to learn to become proficient. You can learn about 50%-75% of all the stuff you'll ever use in emacs in a week or two. Its just like learning a programming language.
>>
>>54639137
this or notepad++
>>
>>54637888
I don't think anyone can truly learn to use it. Have you seen how long the official documentation for emacs and elisp is?
>>
>>54637888
Considering no other good editor gets Common Lisp indentation correct, yes. I think it's very worth it. Not to mention SLIME.

Even when I do Java or C I use it unless I absolutely need an IDE (ie: android apps)
>>
>>54638092
Any text editor that provides a whole damn scripting language of its own is bloated
>>
>>54637888
It's alright. The defaults suck. Configuring them sucks if you just want to get to work and not fiddle with elisp. Outdated terminology makes it a pain to read manuals. Bizarrely bad font rendering. "Everything is a text buffer, even buttons, pictures, and file-selection" was the wrong philosophy (thanks for letting my memory with a dozen empty buffers when I just wanted to open one file). That said, it's your only option for lisp really, and it's worth using for the great packages available. Emacs is just an interpreter for elisp, and you get the benefits of the same key bindings in nearly every elisp program and a consistent environment.
>>
File: Selection_008.png (13 KB, 121x80) Image search: [Google]
Selection_008.png
13 KB, 121x80
>>54637888
Yes.
It makes writing so much more fluid. It's like you're an artisan creating fine cuisine, but in Javascript.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.