[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Help OP not get fired from his helpdesk job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 245x205) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 245x205
7 months ago I got a job as a level 1 helpdesk agent.
I've learned heaps, it's been great. I'm a hard worker and I honestly really enjoy it.
The thing is, this is my first ever IT related job. I am not particularly talented with IT related things, but I'm a pretty hard worker.

Recently, a bunch of guys who are level 2 handed in their notice to go work for a company that pays more. These guys managed a huuuge amount of work - as well as dealing with level 2 escalations from us guys, they manage the dispatch of technicians / order parts / are the main point of contact for on-site. They know about 5 times more than anyone on level 1.

Now, my bosses have noticed my work ethic and have put me in line for the level 2 position.

I leave on holiday tomorrow and come back on the 1st, when I'm starting as a level 2. There are literally level 1 agents who have been with the company for three years, who know more than me.

What the fuck can I do to manage and ultimately succeed in this new role? Do you guys have any tips? I'm going to study for my compTIA and then eye off whatever other related certificates I can study, but I can't start until I get back from holidays. I literally have tomorrow to prepare.

I asked one of the level 2 agents who is staying with us to give me a rundown on Friday. I'm considering asking my boss to let me sit down and spend a week just watching how they work.

What are your guys advice? I really appreciate it. I love my job but I don't wanna get fucked.
>>
Cognrats, you have managed to write wall of text without providing any info to give advice on
>>
>>54637460
He has management written all over him

OP you're gonna do great.
>>
>>54637427
You can't learn a job in just one week, ask your boss to put a lvl 2 wizard to work with you and for a month, ask him for a tutorial and you'll be fine
>tfw you realize this kind of jobs are nothing more than an offline version of an MMORPG
>>
>>54637460
What info do you want?
Are you not familiar with the difference of technical knowledge between an L1 and an L2 helpdesk agent?

My main question is whether or not anyone with similar experience can give advice on how to make the transition.

Good subjects to study, websites and sources of information I can look at, ways to deal with the more advanced technical knowledge required.
>>
>>54637523
>Are you not familiar with the difference of technical knowledge between an L1 and an L2 helpdesk agent?

Oh, i'm sure everyone here knows the difference between L1 and L2 knowledge in some random unnamed company....
>>
>>54637592
Good because I was worried they wouldn't.
>>
>>54637512
Technically, it is done over the phone line, so still online.
>>
>>54637523

DL Comptia A+ books, Net+ books, CCNA books and start reading

Also, ProfMesser site, look it up
>>
>>54637427
Install acrobat reader
>>
>>54637624
Jesus man, he was sarcastic
>>
>>54637708
Thanks for being the only person here who actually gave me advice! I'll look into the Net+ ASAP.
>>54637757
(I know)
>>
>>54637787
So you browse /g/ usually?
What type of company do you work for?
From what you said we can only guess, which leaves only broad and vague answers. Apart from what anons besides me have said, my 2 cents, is look into certiport, find certifications for tests related to what you do, study for them. This will hook you with the knowledge you *might* need.

It would really help us if we knew what company you worked for. Otherwise get >>>/out/ because we can't help you beyond what's been said
>>
DESU OP

I work for a service desk (help desk I guess you guys call it) and I am level 1 for about a year.

But everyone who joins says our level 1 is more like level 2.

We remote onto servers. We configure servers, applications, networking equipment. We troubleshoot and remotely install printers. We administer Citrix environments. We configure backups and deal with them when they fail. We can administer storage solutions as well. We can basically do what we're comfortable with. Yes we log tickets and speak to customers too.

The downside is the pay is crap for the work we do. But my point is.

If me and all of my peers can do it, you can do it. We're all between 19-26. When a ticket comes in just take it on. That's how you learn. That's why our level 1 team is so strong.

When we have issues we're not sure about we be resourceful with documentation, we phone suppliers or third party support teams. And most importantly, each other, including our level 2, 3 and installation teams.

Searching the internet for information and being able to analyse it within moments as to if it is 1. relevant and 2. going to help is a crucial skill.

tl'dr; learn how to ask the right questions to the right people. Keep your customer service skills on point. Don't pretend to know what you don't know but do make insightful suggestions based on what you do know and what you expect to be the case.

If you need some kind of template to get the jist of what I am saying you could try referring all faults to the OSI model and determining which layer the fault is in, as to rule out things that need checking.

As for qualifications, MCSA, Cisco CCNA, and then the rest is dependant on what technology your company supports.
>>
Learn to google
>>
>>54637839
It's support for an airline. At level 1 we deal mostly with program installs via ccmcache or ftp servers, basic printer troubleshooting, Lotus Notes (Fuck Lotus Notes), password resets, general low level IT stuff.

For more complicated stuff, level 2 deals with it.

We don't operate on-site, so the most we do is take control of a PC or connect to servers and troubleshoot from there. We don't touch networks, anything affecting multiple users usually gets sent to a resolver group (Or to L2 to analyze, and then from there usually a resolver group).
>>
>>54637854
Awesome, thanks dude. Makes me feel a lot better about saying yes to the role.

I've been eyeing the CCNA for a while. The MSCA looks pretty good, too.

We don't really touch networking but it's a field of interest for me. I'm hoping to move into something network-related later in my career.
>>
>>54637957

Cool glad it helps

CCNA is good but would take you around a year to be honest, its a big qualification. MCSA you can do quicker - i've done 1 of 3 so far.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.