[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have to be really good at math to be a software dev/eng,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1461864541598.jpg (56 KB, 569x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461864541598.jpg
56 KB, 569x960
Do you have to be really good at math to be a software dev/eng, or study CS. Im okay at math but not amazing or anything, do i have a chance?
>>
yes it is possible. I started being mediocre at math and im faring well. You just gotta put effort into it.

Your math intuition and skill will only get better over time as long as you put the hours in. Just like an instrument. Don't expect o be Euler, but a CS undergrad degree isn't super math intensive imo.

>Do you have to be really good at math

really good? No
Decent to good? Yes.

>Im okay at math but not amazing or anything, do i have a chance

If you're okay at math, it should be good enough i think.
>>
>>54636540
If you have to ask, no, you don't have a chance.
>>
>>54636639
Are you taking CS currently?
>>
>>54636684
yes
>>
>>54636699
Can you name me the kind of math you need to take
>>
I had solid 70s in high school math.

I graduated CS with a math minor at around 3.2gpa. This equates somewhere between 70-75.

I've been a solid 70 student my entire life. So it's definitely possible.
>>
>>54636733
Logic for datastructures/algo's and reasoning
set theory (part of logic) about databases
Number Theory for logic and more
Linear Algebra for gwaphix
things like logarithms, bigO notation, induction proofs, etc. for Datastructures/algorithms
You NEED to master basic high school math like trigo/geo/algebra,etc
That;s all i can think of right now.

Discrete math is optional afaik in general.

Things like college level Calc or analysis are not that needed.

The degree is definitely not as math heavy as math or physics, but still you gotta know it.
>>
The minute I encountered algebra in high school was the minute I realized I would never do anything involving computers other than building and using them. Felt bad for a few years.
>>
>>54637180
I failed his algebra twice..

Yet here i am with a degree in cs, programming for a living
>>
>>54636540
cs isnt about math its about your brain and genetics. some people are just cut out for it. I tried a couple of times to get good at it but i just cant. might be the same for you
>>
>>54636540
CS engineer and msc here. I have a good logical brain but math was never my favourite subject.
When they tell you at start to pay attention on easy matrices because algebra is used all the time - listen to them.
I solved 5 integrals in my life. All on fibal calculus exam. Cheated 4 of them, and never needed calculus since. Succesfully working in the industry.

Dont get me wrong, math can be usefull, it's good to understand all the eulers, transpositions and fourier transforms. But you wont fail in life if u dont understand it at first, second or even third glance
>>
>>54637237
How much math is involved in CS im thinking about going for a SE major instead
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.