[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mediatek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: _20160519_215606.jpg (174 KB, 1080x960) Image search: [Google]
_20160519_215606.jpg
174 KB, 1080x960
Why don't midrange and budget phones use mediatek processors outside of China? They really seem to be getting their shit together lately and offering incredible performance for the price.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/MediaTeks-MT6735-SoC-beats-the-Snapdragon-410-chipset-in-benchmark-tests_id68455

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/02/09/mediatek-mt6752-vs-snapdragon-615/

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/02/09/mediatek-mt6752-vs-snapdragon-615/
>>
OP here.
Not a shill, Just curious since I recently decided to buy a chinkphone instead of local and ended up going through a bunch of mediatek and qualcomm benchmarks.

From what I can tell, mediatek has stronger cpu, qualcomm has stronger gpu usually?
>>
File: organism.jpg (578 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
organism.jpg
578 KB, 2560x1600
Bump
>>
File: 1459023789048.jpg (102 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1459023789048.jpg
102 KB, 960x720
http://wccftech.com/helio-x20-geekbench-scores/
>>
>>54633214
Is the mtk6735p with 2gb ram enough for light use?

Web browsing, clover, and facebook?
>>
ITT: Shillfags
>>
>>54633523
Op here.

I'm just curious. I never said its better, mediatek seems to lose against flagship qualcomm, but at every other price point it does look pretty sweet.
>>
>>54633214
Mostly because MediaTek often just flat-out won't return your calls or emails if you're not Chinese.

They're gongkai in the extreme, you have no idea. Copying and pasting netlists and shit. I'm amazed they even paid for an ARM licence: ARM Holdings must have... negotiated with them.

It's actually easier to get an answer out of Rockchip or Broadcom. Even Allwinner are a tiny bit better at that.

As for the hardware, it usually works, if you don't mind the errata. Good luck getting blobs, documentation or information on the errata.
>>
Snapdragon 810 master race here.

Your phone CPU isn't up to spec unless it has 8 cores throttled to 2% all day.

Who needs performance when you have specs on paper!?
>>
>>54633695
What about the other brands you've mentioned?

I've never even heard of rockchip before, I've seen allwinner used in orange pi and cheap tablets, and broadcom is in rpi, isn't it?
>>
>>54633710
Is the heat issue really that bad?
>>
>>54633905
>>>54633710 (You)
>Is the heat issue really that bad?

My optimus g from 2011 is just as fast as my current one m9.

It is that bad.
>>
>>54634059
Ouch.

Try undervolting it?

Iirc it won't throttle if you set it to 1.8ghz?
>>
>>54634136
>>>54634059 (You)
>Ouch.
>Try undervolting it?
>Iirc it won't throttle if you set it to 1.8ghz?

I don't have it rooted. I ran into issues doing it.

Heavily considering getting an M8.
>>
>>54634165
If you're not in the US, Just pick up a chinkphone like a xiaomi or oukitel. Cheap, solid battery life, decent performance.
>>
>>54633764
RK are pretty shitty, they do a lot of low end stuff and media player chipsets; ARM SoCs are a more recent thing for them.

Allwinner paid lots of money to join the Linux Foundation and their hardware is full of errata but not that bad overall. But they don't run properly on upstream kernels and their old 3.10 piece of shit has an actual honest-to-god local root backdoor in it (look it up, sunxi-debug!). They're Chinese. But they're good-ish Chinese.

Broadcom aren't chinkshit - actually their chipsets are generally great and like ASMedia, they're not Chinese at all - but they're one of the most secretive when it comes to specs, NDAs and drivers and all that garbage. The Raspberry Pi is actually becoming a breakthrough in openness for them, but it's not something they're accustomed to and they have some way to go.

The Pi has the best ecosystem outside the vendor, followed by Allwinner (but AW don't really "get"the GPL). The RK and MT things tend to run on old kernel forks which you might not even get the source for (again, GPL violations abound) with binary blob drivers roughly linked in, and when you get source, well, they tend to be register dumps ahoy rather than anything maintainable.

Ugly truth: ARM is kind of a shitfit for hardware support, honestly.
>>
>>54633670
>They really seem to be getting their shit together lately and offering incredible performance for the price.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.