[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Performance of muh freedoms ATI drivers vs Nouveau
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: logo.png (8 KB, 418x69) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
8 KB, 418x69
I've been using NVidia cards (GeForce GT 630M / Intel i7-3610QM integrated on laptop and GeForce GTX 560 on desktop) with nouveau drivers, and I am finally feeling the bad performance of nouveau, on top of sort-of old graphics cards. I noticed that the freedomware drivers for ATI cards have more features than nouveau and are considered very stable, but are they also significantly more performant than Nouveau with NVidia cards?

Also, yes, this is vidya gaymes related. I am trying to run Rabi-Ribi in WINE, which lags in any of the graphics providers I listed. Ironically, it runs a little faster on the integrated card, but crashes due to lack of video memory. Running the game does not max out CPU usage, and changing the card used changes the performance, so I am assuming it's a graphics bottleneck. Can I expect significantly more performance by just getting an "recent" (1~2 years old) ATI card, and using the Free drivers? The only other reason I have for an ATI card is support for video acceleration on my chinese cartoons.

I know that proprietary drivers exist, but I would prefer to avoid them if possible. I'm aware of the irony of trying to use nonproprietary drivers to run a proprietary game, but a game just feels less invasive than drivers or an operating system.
>>
ATi free drivers are about 80% of the speed of the proprietary ones.
Nvidia free drivers are about 20% of the speed of the Nvidia proprietary ones.

Ergo: Nouveau is fucking shit because Nvidia doesn't help the project at all, unlike AMD
>>
>>54631705
Just pick up a used hd 7790 or 6870, it'll run great on Linux.

AMD actually helps develop the open source drivers iirc, and intel drivers are completely open source.

Fuck nvidia.
>>
>>54633358
Both Nvidia, AMD AND Intel now need proprietary firmware to initiate the GPU, 2 years ago none of them needed it, now all of them do.
>>
>>54633412
Y
>>
>>54633781
Do you talk to your mother with that mouth?
>>
280x which is pretty much a 7970 runs terribly on linux I can confirm. I'd rather use fucking integrated graphics and I'm not joking about this.

If I were you I'd stick with nvidia, I know that's my next choice.
>>
>>54633821
Yes
>>
>>54633337
Don't forget that AMDs proprietary drivers are about 50% the speed of NVIDIAs.
>>
File: rms-sign.jpg (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rms-sign.jpg
117 KB, 640x480
>>54633412
AMD (ATI) needed firmware since a very long time going back to Rage 128 (1998), it was extreme pain in the ass and caused famed rms protest that he nearly got arrested https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/rms-ati-protest.html . Nvidia started requiring since Maxwell 2.0, and Intel rather recently since Skylake.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.