[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch Linux vs Debian Unstable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: arch_linux-lts_screenshot.jpg (207 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
arch_linux-lts_screenshot.jpg
207 KB, 1600x900
Arch Linux vs Debian Unstable
>>
>>54628501
Manjaro.
>>
It's kind of funny, or sad depending on the way you see it. Today I installed Debian stable and decided to upgrade to testing (because the Alpha 5 installer absolutely refuses to install and always fails). So I add the testing repo to the sources.list, and run the dist-upgrade command to upgrade the outdated packages. About an hour later I decide to reboot and low and behold nothing works. The screen get shutting on and off, on and off. It did this about 5 times before completely failing to boot.

This has NEVER happened to me whenever running the update command in Arch.
>>
>>54628501
Arch for the AUR
>>
>>54628555
Protip: The stable branch is called stable for a reason.
>>54628501
Gentoo stable.
>>
>>54628501
There is literally no reason to use Arch.

>>54628555
>implying Arch doesn't require infinitely more effort to maintain
>>
>>54628587
Not him but debian stable KDE is broken ootb
>>
>>54628587
I understand that. My point is this: debian install completely, and I mean completely fucked my install.

>>54628611
Depends on the user I suppose? Personally I install all the software I need and I'm done, I run
sudo pacman -Syu
twice a week and I'm good to go.

I use Xubuntu now though because everything just werks (for the most part).
>>
>>54628555
>low and behold
It probably didn't work for you because you're stupid enough to think that "lo" == "low"
>>
>>54628611
And there's literally NO reason to use debian when superior ubuntu exists
>>
>>54628646
That's neither here nor there. I've had a few drinks tonight so I'm a little tippsy :D
>>
>>54628635
>I run sudo pacman -Syu twice a week and I'm good to go.
Just get pamac. Hate on Manjaro all you want, pamac is still great.
>>
Also I'd like to add (I'm this guy >>54628555 >>54628635 >>54628662 )

Debian should really be used as a server OS. I happen to use it on my home server and everything works great, nothing has crashed, and I haven't had to restart anything as of yet.

Arch is better suited as a desktop/laptop OS because of the superb wiki and documentation in general. The whole "xorg crashed, better spend a whole day fixing it" is really a myth perpetuated by who knows.
>>
>>54628501
>there are relevant differences between Linux distros

see you later when you grow up OP
>>
>>54630315
Do you think that package managers don't exist or something?
>>
no auto completion in pacman, they think pacman -Ss is enough.
What a bunch of retarded faggot.
I use devuan ascii, it's debian testing without systemd, best OS ever
>>
>>54630400
>there are relevant differences between package managers

see you later when you grow up anon
>>
>>54630451
Are you really such a lazy fat neck beard that you cannot type the entire command into terminal
>>
>>54630540
auto competion IS an improvement ALL the time, I don't see why they don't want it, I might be not autistic enough
>>
>>54630574
Work your fingers a little more, you might lose some calories :xD
>>
>>54630451
>it's debian testing without systemd
so Debian with systemd apt pinned to -1?
>>
>>54628555
>mfw i successfully installed debian stretch from the alpha 5 installer literally hours ago
>mfw it works fine
>mfw they still haven't found someone to maintain that prereq for calligra
>>
>>54628555
why would you ever use anything but debian stable if you're not an active debian developer/tester?
>>
>>54630678
>if

else

Install something else xD

>>54630633
Good for you. For me? Imma big guy
>>
can i get the same result of pacman -Ss * with the apt?
>>
>>54628555
Install testing from one of the snapshots.
>>
>>54631378
It doesnt matter. I faileda class in college so im fucked help
>>
>>54628555
I did the same two weeks ago and everything works for me.

>what is pinning?

You're either lying or incompetent. I even have some unstable packages installed because Debian is great and apt-get is great and the -t unstable switch works great.
>>
>>54628555
>>54631378
>>54630678
I wanted some simple media PCs around the house with a browser, Kodi and SMPlayer. I thought Debian stable would be perfect for the job. Kodi is in backports, so no biggie. And it had to be SMPlayer because my parents need that subtitle fetching.

First the /var partition swamped itself because the kernel was shitting logs about the non-free WiFi driver not being there (yet). Stable only has mplayer2 (and mpv, but SMPlayer is so old it doesn't support that yet), so it didn't have H265 support. PulseAudio kept shitting itself. Kodi was v15.1 which is not that old, yet it still kept crashing, without any add-ons.

I now installed testing and things are actually working.
>>
>>54628710
Yeah I don't see a reason to use Debian over a Ubuntu minimal installation for desktop use. Debian's software repository sucks compared the Arch's repos/AUR and Ubuntu's launchpad.
>>
ITT: people who need hand-holding and copy-pasting from the arch wiki. But
>muh manual distro
>>
>>54631487
I might add that I use Arch on my PC, but I didn't want to maintain 5 Arch installs, which is why I chose Debian (and because it has all the packages I need in the repos OOTB once I enable non-free)

>>54630451
no auto completion? what are you talking about?
while I like the idea of Devuan, the devs seem genuinely retarded. the users too, apparently
>>
>>54631500
>Debian's software repository sucks compared the Arch's repos/AUR and Ubuntu's launchpad.

Debian has the largest package repository of all the distributions. AUR is unsafe and full of garbage.
>>
>>54630678
Not him, but I did (without too much problems) to have an updated version of mvp to stream playlists from youtube, that wasn't possible with the old mpv bundled with debian stable
>>
>>54630678

>dat outdated kernel

>dat old ass software

>dem bugs still all over the fucking place

Pain in the ass aside, I DO use Deb Stable
>>
>>54628587
Stable Debian, however, is deprecated and incredibly out of date.
>>
Installed debian testing few months ago from the testing snapshot and it's working perfect.
>>
>>54628501
It's taken me ~2 days to get Fedora KDE under control as my first real Linux distro for everyday use.
Should I consider switching over to Arch? It seems like there's a lot more documentation and support for desktop use, but is it really that difficult to get working?
>>
>>54631586
I just compile mpv using mpv-build to get a statically linked mpv binary for exactly that purpose. All the packages needed for building are either provided by mpv-build or through backports if not in the official repo.

>>54631598
I use backports to get the latest-ish kernel. So I guess I'm not running *pure* stable either.
>>
>>54631662
>I just compile mpv using mpv-build to get a statically linked mpv binary

Tried that first.
It gave me countless dependency errors, till I gave up.
>>
>>54631527
When I tried Debian testing in a VM I couldn't find as many applications I wanted to install available in Debian's software repository compared to Arch's community official repo.

And the software that was available was old and moldy. I think GNOME 3.14 was still only avaliable for Debian testing. I though Debian testing was more like a "rolling release"?
>>
>>54631699
Unstable is the rolling release.
>>
>>54631674
did you use 'apt-cache search X' (where X is a dependency) to see if the packages are available in the repo?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-19-05-01-56.png (405 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-19-05-01-56.png
405 KB, 1080x1920
>>54631727
It still looks like unstable only has Gnome 3.14. What's going on???
>>
>>54628710
CentOS>Debian for servers
Or OpenSuse if you are into that.
Ubuntu for noob desktop use, Arch for power user.
>>
>>54631753
I don't remember.
Maybe not.
>>
>>54628555
funny thing, i did the same thing about 10 hours earlier and everything worked just well, it sounds to me like you fucked something up that goes against the recommended process of installing stretch.
>>
>>54631767
>It still looks like unstable only has Gnome 3.14. What's going on???
It's 3.14+4, so it's 3.18 :^)
>>
>>54631767
bullshit
>>
>>54631880
Package 'gnome' in testing and sid is on 3.14+4.

If newer versions of gnome are available in the repos, then they're using a different name, or were only available for a limited time, or you installed the packages from an unofficial source... or compiled gnome from source yourself.
>>
>>54631978
that's a metapackage.
>>
>>54631767
https://packages.debian.org/pl/stretch/gnome-shell
https://packages.debian.org/pl/sid/gnome-shell
how does it feel to be retarded?
also gnome is 3.14 because its a metapackage that installs other packages and doesnt have to be updated if the dependencies are not messed up (so its updated for stable)
>>
>>54632019
Guess that answers that then.
>>
Does Debian have a krunner type application launcher without all the deps of KDE?
>>
>>54632109
i don't know about krunner but in gnome you can open an application launcher with alt+f2 or use drop down terminal.
and it has one built in that works quite well.
>>
>>54632109
gmrun or just use dmenu
>>
>>54631586
even the one in deb-multimedia?
>>
>>54632343
That one isn't much newer, like 0.8 instead of 0.6.

You want the latest, you have to either run stretch or sid, or build mpv from source.
>>
>>54632708
you could use only mpv/ffmpeg/youtube-dl from the unstable repo and keep the rest of the system the way it is. or like you said, just compile it.
>>
File: debian.png (81 KB, 1028x1270) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81 KB, 1028x1270
Debian for Synaptic.
>>
>>54634341
aptitude is nicer imo.
>>
>>54628646
wow I bet you'd be a hit at parties if anyone ever invited you to one
>>
>>54628536
>memejaro
spotted the retard
>>
Honestly the amount of effort it takes to get newer packages on debian is stupid, just use arch at that point.
Debian is pretty great for servers though, better than centOS because it's so quick to deploy
>>
>>54634782
>the amount of effort it takes to get newer packages on debian is stupid
>sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
>change stable to testing and remove unnecessary stuff
>sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
wow, that was a lot of effort
>>
>>54634830
Testing and Sid are not the same as using fedora or arch
A lot of the time you'll still have a very old package even in sid. Not to mention that the way they bundle and name alot of packages is just inane
Why are debcucks so delusional about their server OS?
>>
>>54634870
>old packages even on sid
maybe if the maintainer died or something.
you sound like you want to start a shitty flamewar.
>>
>>54634889
I used debian as my main os for about 5 years, then switched to a mix of arch and fedora
Debian is still on my server though
>>
>>54634944
that's nice for you.
>>
>>54628536
Manjaro has the most beautiful implementation of every DE especially Xfeces and KDE. I was impressed by the quality, even better than Elementary(You are a thief if you don't pay)OS.
>>
>>54635023
>beautiful implementation
you don't even know what the word means, do you?
>>
>>54635023
>Green on black
>beautiful
Are you blind?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.