[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10 bash cannot even run MySQL server? What a POS? This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot (8).png (176 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (8).png
176 KB, 1366x768
Windows 10 bash cannot even run MySQL server? What a POS? This is supposed to replace Linux on the desktop.
>>
File: how about no.png (909 KB, 820x793) Image search: [Google]
how about no.png
909 KB, 820x793
>>54626292
>This is supposed to replace Linux on the desktop.
>>
File: Screenshot (9).png (69 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (9).png
69 KB, 1366x768
Fucking POS.
>>
>>54626292
>This is supposed to replace Linux on the desktop.
It's supposed to replace something that doesn't exist?
>>
>>54626292
What did you expect from Microsoft?
>>
>>54626292
Why would a MicroTard be using the command line?. Doesn't M$ discourage it because it's like "scary" and "technical" and and and... click this button.
>>
>>54626292
Run it natively then dumb fuck.
>>
I just wanted to open the nulled database dump in MySQL. I will wait until I get home and use native Linux. But I thought that this would even be able to run a simple server utility. But no. M$ cannot even do that. They should stick with improving Windows 10 and adding more telemetry shit.
>>
>>54626292
Windows doesn't have UNIX sockets. I think.

It should probably work if you use a regular TCP port.

That said, Bash on Windows is really just a way to transition all Windows machines to Linux.
>>
>>54626292
Its not meant to replace Linux in any way.

Its Microsofts pathetic and desperate attempt to trick Linux users into thinking that Win 10 is worth half a damn.
>>
"Preview Build" means not everything is implemented yet, dumbass. They actually talked about problems with MySQL in particular and said they're working on it.
>>
Bash has always run on linux. There's no reason to endure shitdows to have you're bash.
>>
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
>>
Use the proper solution, not the cheap knockoff made to lure low tier sys-admins into Windows.
>>
Yeah, fuck that. I hate Micro$hit.
>>
>>54626292
It's to bring the retards back to windows and keep them away from linux

You know github using, HN browsing, nu-male vim faggots that say "UNIX is my IDE". and then procede to write nothing of value
>>
>>54626292
>Windows 10 bash cannot even run MySQL server? What a POS? This is supposed to replace Linux on the desktop.

>MySQL Server
>Desktop

seems like you're a bit confused there, bud
what you've got there is a HOME SERVER
or at least, you want it to be one.
you should use a HOME SERVER OS, like Linux, for your HOME SERVER
>>
>>54630714
>Bash
>good for anything but automating shit away on your server

oh my god lol let me guess you seriously use bash as a file manager
>>
>>54626292

Personally, I couldn't get it to work. Every time I try to install the preview build, or any update for that matter, I have to restart my computer to install the updates, then it updates for five minutes, finally resulting in "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes..." for another five minutes. Then it restarts. Does that again. Restarts again. Finally I can log in, but I can't update at all.

This is why I hardly touch my Windows partition. Why is it such a hassle to install updates? Even if I didn't have this problem, why does Windows have to restart every time you do fucking anything? And why can't it just display a proper error message so I can troubleshoot the damn thing, rather than, "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes..." or my personal favorite, "Something happened".
>>
>>54626292
>I'm too retarded to get MySQL to work on Windows 10
>"MySQL doesn't work on Windows 10
>>
Use powershell you idiot. CMD is there solely for people who think they are 1337 h4ck0rz but are too stupid to go through the OS, such as yourself. They've had full SSH integration since 2015.

Oh and this: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2016/04/01/bash-for-windows-why-its-awesome-and-what-it-means-for-powershell/
>>
>>54626355
>>54626508
>>54626544
>>54626949
>>54628574
>>54630139
>>54630662
>>54630218
Thanks for this, keep posting. We will deposit the money into your account later today.
>>
>firefox dev
>>
File: rekt.jpg (21 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
21 KB, 400x225
>>54626292
>using UNIX sockets on a windows machine
>>
>>54630741

whoops looks like the SSH pluging works, but full integration into the vanilla version still has some work to do:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2015/10/19/openssh-for-windows-update/
>>
>>54630748
what account is that, my "they do it for FREE" as in FREEDOM linux account?
>>
File: nsa.jpg (55 KB, 724x688) Image search: [Google]
nsa.jpg
55 KB, 724x688
bash shell is not very good to begin with, they have all the directory slashes pointing the wrong way, and they even broke the pinball.exe

seems like very amateur programmings
>>
>>54630783
kek
>>
Use cygwin then wincucks
>>
>>54630802

This
>>
>>54626364
what part of "unstable testing environment" don't you understand?
>>
1- It's in beta and unreleased.
2- MySQL runs on Windows without needing Linux compatibility.
3- Seems like you're too retarded to use Google (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11990708/error-cant-connect-to-local-mysql-server-through-socket-var-run-mysqld-mysq). Although if you had any UNIX knowledge you'd be able to fix it without external help.
>>
31 replies and no one could point out that OP is getting pissed and throwing a tantrum over the mysql CLIENT being unable to connect to a local server that he hasn't started? You're all retarded
>>
I don't even use bash on Linux.

zsh ftw.
>>
>>54633563
Same fucking shit, underage cunt

You're likely still using bash for shell scripts anyway
>>
and you can't even install gentoo on it
>>
Use a real operating system and you won't have a problem, Pajeet.
>>
>>54633563
zsh works on win 10
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.