[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your stuck on a deserted island, It has internet infrastructure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: windows_95_by_clutch.jpg (357 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
windows_95_by_clutch.jpg
357 KB, 1440x900
Your stuck on a deserted island, It has internet infrastructure but the only computer left on the island is an old emachine running windows 95, You will have to write your own drivers to use the network hardware, And if you don't have a compiler you will have to write your own compiler from scratch for windows 95.

this is your only way off the island, the only way to contact the outside world.

Will you survive?
>>
>>54624592
>Will you survive?
Yes
>old emachine
NEVER OBSOLETE !
>>
>>54624592
>you don't have a compiler
How will you compile your compiler then?

Anyway, I used to tinker with C++ in Visual Studio on Windows 95 in my youth, and since then I've gained a fair understanding of both kernel programming and networks, so I think I will survive. Don't need to implement a feature complete network stack, just need to hack something together that can (mis)use whatever network equipment there is on the island that is connected to somewhere I suppose?
>>
>>54624592
but.....I need man pages anon.

>>54624610
kek'd hard.
>>
I'll just live on the island, seems pretty comfy
>>
>>54624644
You can also just choose to stay on the island and play solitare offline on windows 95 or maybe use the text editor to write a novel or a suicide note.
>>
>>54624638
you will have to write your network program in C but you only have what comes availible with stock windows 95.

you also have a windows 95 restore disc and a copy of doom.
>>
>>54624747
Copy of DOOM?

I'm fine with that.
>>
>>54624747
>you will have to write your network program in C
No, you don't.

>copy of doom.
Well, Doom already had networked multiplayer over serial. I guess I don't have to write anything complex at all, I can just use the serial port.
>>
>>54624801
you'll have to make your own hardware to connect because their are no ethernet ports.
>>
>>54624801
how will you write your network program? in assembly?
>>
>>54624948
Visual Basic and some assembly

>>54624845
There is the serial port, which is by definition network hardware. That's how people used to connect to modems in the older days.
>>
>>54624638
>How will you compile your compiler then?
You write the compiler in bytecode
>>
>>54625145
Bytecode will only run on a virtual machine.
>>
>>54625205
You're running windows 95C which has java preinstalled.
>>
>>54624592
No :(
>>
File: kek.png (3 KB, 48x26) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
3 KB, 48x26
>>54624592
Just connect using the wireless networks manager, kek
>>
>And if you don't have a compiler you will have to write your own compiler from scratch for windows 95.

Well do we or don't we?

>Will you survive?

Unlikely. Writing drivers without documentation? Good chance of breaking something.
>>
>>54624592
emachines systems never shipped with win95 dipshit
>>
Erm. Gonna need specs on that network card and valid IP configuration information ...
>>
>>54624592
What network card is installed?
What kind of network infrastructure?
Is it documented?
What development tools are available on the system?
>>
break the computer apart, use wood and stones to forge the metal of the computer into a knife, use the knife to construct an outrigged kayak, then set out to sea
>>
>>54625313
Brilliant.
>>
File: 0.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
Well I'm still better off than if I had a computer booting to grub recovery mode.
>>
Unless you know the strict protocols, you're not contacting anybody. You'd have better chance of salvaging the machine for parts and making a ham radio.
>>
>>54624747
Doom? I'd just play that until I die. Life well lived.
>>
>>54624592
Sounds like Australia. So no different to my current predicament.
>>
>>54624592
>95
>2000/ME icons
>>
>>54625443
How about we say that the computer is a Toshiba Satellite 105cs, and for network cards you have a Conexant 56k modem card and a 3Com 10/100 Ethernet card model number 3CCFE575CT-D. Both PCMCIA cards. And of course the computer has a serial port as well.

(Arbitrary choice of computer and network cards because I happen to have one right here.)
>>
>>54624592
Do we have access to documentation for the appropriate Windows driver interfaces and network interface?
>>
>>54626243
uh.

uuuuh

jam a network cable into the modem card's phone port.

you can make it fit
>>
>>54627351
That would depend if such material was shipped with any copy of Windows 95.
>>
Salvage metal from computer to make a fork.
Jam fork in electrical outlet

Win95. Never again.
>>
>>54625524
winrar
>>
>>54625851
there's not enough copper in a computer to make an antenna worth any damn
>>
>>54624592
>Your stuck on a deserted island, It has internet infrastructure but the only computer left on the island is an old emachine running windows 95, You will have to write your own drivers to use the network hardware, And if you don't have a compiler you will have to write your own compiler from scratch for windows 95.
Oh, so you mean hell then.
>>
>>54625830
Sure, if you don't know how to use it.
>>
>>54624592
>Jasc Paint Shop

my god the nostalgia
>>
>>54624592
The only way a person could do this, assuming there is no documentation or compiler included in the operating system is to do it the hard way around my directly accessing and writing memory via a glitch.

Basically you're doing something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

I would be dead, as would 99.9999% of everyone else. Maybe like 3 people in the whole world could have done this once upon time, and I doubt they remember how to now.
>>
>>54627526
Well, was it or not? You're gay, OP.
>>
>>54627860
RIP me
>>
>>54624592
Windows 95 comes with basic network drivers installed for telnet use.

I'll connect to a BBS and leave a message asking for help. Now if I can only remember the address for one of them. Surely at least one will be buried somewhere in the help files for Win 95.
>>
Does doom come with the level editor? This is important.
>>
>>54627857
>years of a great, free image editor
>suddenly not free
It was an end of an era.
>>
>>54627860
You can write object code by hand in a hex edittor.
Dos came with a hex edittor. I'm betting windows 95 did too since it was made on top of dos.
Use the hex edittor to create a simple assembler IF you had intel 8086 documentation.. yeah fuck it. it's impossible
>>
>>54624592
>emachine running windows 95
emachine was founded in 1998
>>
why can't I just go on Facebook and keep saying Obama sux until the CIA comes and gets me
>>
I think its impossible to contact the outer world given the conditions. If it had linux it would be a completely different situation.
The problem is not having a compiler.
>>
File: 1370968033750.jpg (21 KB, 338x203) Image search: [Google]
1370968033750.jpg
21 KB, 338x203
>>54624592

> Your stuck

Use proper grammar you fucking retard.
>>
>>54627860
Pretty sure old versions of Windows came with DEBUG.COM, which included an assembler. I remember writing some small programs using it when I was younger.
>>
File: 2.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>54626243
That laptop has a microphone and a speaker. You have said I have a modem and an ethernet card, so that means there is some kind of wired connection.

First thing you do is record an emergency message requesting help.

Then you splice the network cable into the audio output of the laptop. Then you set the laptop to play back your message through the speaker over and over.

Then you hope someone out there on the other end will notice this pattern in the noise of the connection and try to figure out what it is.

That's the best I've got.
>>
>>54629628
Could this actually work??
>>
>>54624592
>And if you don't have a compiler you will have to write your own compiler from scratch
Or I can just make everything in pure assembly and save some time to find resources.
>>
>>54629839
It's a long shot but it isn't impossible.
>>
>>54626243
Without documentation or proper development tools there wouldn't be much that I could do as far as driver development goes.

But I have a really retarded idea; functional internet infrastructure implies there are other functional computers running the show to manage and facilitate access, if that infrastructure is ancient like the shitbox I'm stuck with, there's a chance the local internet/telecom provider is probably running a Unix box or two, more than likely made by Sun, and owing to their status as the backbone of the dotcom boom, Solaris has shipped internet-ready since at least 7, maybe even before.

Assuming they haven't cleaned up the default installation image, I can wire up the laptop to the serial port and fire up HyperTerminal and attempt to send for help using a mail client, or even fire up the shitty bundled Java browser if there's a working monitor/keyboard/mouse console setup in the datacenter.
>>
>>54625145
no you write it in another lang to initially bootstrap it.
>>
>you must upgrade to win98se before they come and save you
>>
Great, let's write in qbasic
>>
>writing a network driver with no hardware documentation

safe to say, everyone would be fucked.
>>
>>54624592
>>54630775
>>54630655

https://youtu.be/TsBMjwXoTd8
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.