[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting tomorrow new job as PLC programmer. The company where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: simatic-plc-siemens.jpg (22 KB, 495x333) Image search: [Google]
simatic-plc-siemens.jpg
22 KB, 495x333
Starting tomorrow new job as PLC programmer.
The company where i will work want to train me, as i have 0 experience with PLC, and owner is a nice friend. (they use mainly siemens products)
I have a solid background of experience in php, c# and python , how hard will be to learn this language? As i have understand is similar to assemby?
>>
>>54624030
it'll take more time to get to learn the ecosystem than the language
the syntax were pretty simple on some entry lever siemens plcs I've played with years ago
>>
>>54624030
I had a brief experience with Siemens PLC programming and as far as I remember it can be done in various languages. However, nothing is similar to a normal programming language like C or Python, it's all logic based.
I remember that what I used to do was building constructs with logical ports and choosing which signals were taken as input and where to send the various outputs. This triggers various actions on the components connected to the PLC, e.g. robots
>>
>>54624030
Ladder logic is easy to read and understand, but most of the time the programs are total clusterfucks. If you need to use STL, it's pretty much like assembly and every program that uses it is a clusterfuck. Ladder logic isn't like assembly at all, it's mostly just AND and OR gates strung together. More complicated programs use other function blocks, and if you're working on an assembly line sometimes they'll have arrays of bits that get shifted through or some shit like that.
>>
>>54624030
>>54624444
You know what, I take that back. Imagine C. Only instead of C, you have a shitty, limited language where the vast majority of variables as booleans, and every line of code is an assignment of the form
variable1 = variable2 AND (variable3 OR variable4)...

That's what PLC programming is like, and it fucking sucks if you're working on a program that was written by 20 different people because there are basically going to be global variables all the fuck over the place and you don't know if toggling one is going to make that 40 thousand dollar robot try to kill someone. Couple that with the fact that NO FACTORY on the planet makes use of control statements (what the fuck is a loop?) and you have an extremely limited, tightly coupled (unless the program was written by a STRICT team of programmers) clusterfuck of a "language" that you have to try to work with. God forbid you're actually adding functionality, everything will be your fault forever, because it's not like maintenance could have fucked up those sensors or anything.
>>
>>54624182
This
>>
ITT: Stuxnet 2 the stuxening
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.