[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a Linux Distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1460384620172.jpg (174 KB, 2400x1261) Image search: [Google]
1460384620172.jpg
174 KB, 2400x1261
Hello everyone, so here it goes.

So I want make a linux distro. I dont want to customize any existing distro, I want that distro to run a desktop environment and some couple of software. I dont need security updates from a 3rd party or an organized software repository. Can you guys please help me by giving me some resources ?

I am a CS student and I do ACM problem solving. So I know programming a little bit.

Thanks in advance.
>>
> LFS
>>
>54618103
Too much unorganized.
>>
>ACM

that's all about algorithms and has no bearing on system programming
>>
>>54618359
yep :'(
>>
>>54618075
Linux From Scratch. Since you had to ask though, you should probably install Gentoo (seriously), and learn it inside and out first. If you can't install Gentoo, you probably can't do Linux From Scratch either. Even if you can, you might still be unable to.
>>
Don't do this unless you want to spend the rest of your life subscribed to dozens or hundreds of third-party projects' mailing lists to receive update notifications for random-base-system-package-371957, crawling through all of them to find their dependencies, applying patches to get things to work nicely together and fix bugs that other people never bother to, etc. Don't duplicate work and use a distro as your base system and build on top of that. This is literally what they exist to do for you.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.