[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 802503.jpg (180 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
802503.jpg
180 KB, 1440x900
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>54591403
>>
Thoughts on Fostex TH-X00's? I've heard a lot of good things about them.
>>
>>54612094
Seems to be gaining meme force/flavor of the week status. I haven't tried it myself but there seems to be at least one lurker who favors Fostex and suggests the TR50P at every opportunity.

I have not tried them myself but given the push in /hpg/ over the last few weeks it could be good but just not as good as pitched here. It could be as good. Or it could be a load of crap.
>>
File: ilabs_DSF7229.jpg (157 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
ilabs_DSF7229.jpg
157 KB, 1000x714
Pulled the trigger on the L2, really curious about it, hope it works with V-moda cables.
>>
What are the best headphones that isolates the sound around me?
>>
>>54612094
Got mine yesterday. If I say it like this, I wouldn't be disappointed even if I payed double the price. They're really comfy, sounds great and they're really easy to drive.
>>
>>54612174
Fill out the form or else start looking up cIEMs.
>>
File: 9.jpg (1005 KB, 2667x4000) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
1005 KB, 2667x4000
>Budget
$200 ~ $400 USD
>Location
Straya
>Source
Phone and laptop + FiiO E10K
>Preferred type of headphone
Canalphones (with mic and music controls). Metal construction and removable cables(?)
>Open or closed
Canalphones
>Comfort level
Maybe custom ear molds?
>Preferred music
No preference. From heavy EDM to light choir music, I listen to anything
>Past headphones
A-Jays One Plus (lost them), cheapo TDKs (last me for more than 4 years), stock Samsung canalphone (broke in two months)
>>
File: 81kSEwsjpML._SL1500_.jpg (412 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81kSEwsjpML._SL1500_.jpg
412 KB, 1500x1500
>>54612256
>mic and music controls
>Metal construction
>removable cables
>Maybe custom ear molds
Literally V-Moda M100, built like a tank (actual military grade durability), detachable cables that vary between audio-only, mic attached and boom pro options, XL pads for extra comfort.
It's bass heavy, but you didn't specified a preffered FR, so maybe that's not a problem for you, you can always EQ it anyway.
You might need to buy some of the cables separately.
You might like the custom shield feature, assuming you are into that kind of thing.
>>
>>54612417
I want a canal phone though.
>>
File: 4r.jpg (56 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
4r.jpg
56 KB, 900x900
>>54612461
I'm sorry, do you mean IEMs? I didn't fully undertood what you meant by canal phones, my mistake.
IEMs are not my thing so i can't help, but i'm sure someone will help out.
>>
File: price compare.png (120 KB, 831x911) Image search: [Google]
price compare.png
120 KB, 831x911
>>54612094
>>
>>54612155
been interested in them for a while but the X2 kind of eliminated the urge to buy them. they seem to lean heavily on the warm/bassy side where X2 is a bit more on the v-shaped side.
>>
i'm looking at the akg m220 as plebs first headphones. I like the size and looks and the reviews seem fine but I can't find it in europe, is it sold under a different name or some exclusivity deal with americas?
>>
>>54612174
shure IEMs, hd280 if you can stand the clamp.
>>
>>54612461
>>54612256
strayans fucking up terms even more than euros with their earphones shit. it's an IEM.
>>
>>54612566
I've never heard anyone call it canalphone.
But yeah, people call IEMs earphones and earbuds regardless of form.
>>
File: ilabs_DSF7228.jpg (149 KB, 930x664) Image search: [Google]
ilabs_DSF7228.jpg
149 KB, 930x664
>>54612540
Indeed, X2 is probably a much better option, the only reason i got the L2 is because the price is right in my country (which is very unusual) and it wasn't particularly expensive either, besides, i've being wanting to test something different for a while now and this is a good excuse to test a boompro and maybe ditch my zm mic1, maybe if i like it i'll aim for the X2 later.
>>
File: 8.jpg (67 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
67 KB, 680x1024
>Budget
$200 ~ $400 USD
>Location
Straya
>Source
Phone and laptop + FiiO E10K
IEM (with mic and music controls). Metal construction and removable cables(?)
>Open or closed
IEM
>Comfort level
Maybe custom ear molds?
>Preferred music
No preference. From heavy EDM to light choir music, I listen to anything
>Past headphones
Jabra ROX Wireless (shit battery life), A-Jays One Plus (lost them), cheapo TDKs (last me for more than 4 years), stock Samsung IEM (broke in two months)

Fixed for the autists.
>>
File: 1445433888269.jpg (145 KB, 1404x556) Image search: [Google]
1445433888269.jpg
145 KB, 1404x556
>>
>>54612497
Canal phone is sort of a deep instertion IEM by definition such as Etymotic models.
>>
>>54612256
>Metal construction and removable cables
Pick one. In your price range you're likely looking at plasticky Shures and Etys with detachable cables or the metal constructed RHA IEMS.
>>
>>54612593
>I've never heard anyone call it canalphone.
Canalphone might be linger from old school head-fi.
>>
File: Superior Amperior1.gif (178 KB, 784x860) Image search: [Google]
Superior Amperior1.gif
178 KB, 784x860
AMPERIOR SUPERIOR
>>
so I just got the audio technica ath-m50x everyone is loving

they sound fucking awful
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because the sound literally hurt my ears

my in ears that costs half the price sound one million times better

too bad, I really like how they look and feel
I will have to send them back I guess
>>
>>54612797
For fell for the fucking meme. What a cuck.
>>
>>54612797
What's the rest of your audio chain? Source? DAC? Amp? file format and age? I don't recall for certain but I don't think the m50x are very forgiving cans if the file is poorly done.
>>
>>54612797
Maybe a V shaped freq response isn't for you. Try some velour earpads for comfort- if you're cheap get em from aliexpress or gearbest
>>
File: hpg.png (1 MB, 1892x635) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
1 MB, 1892x635
>>54612797
M50x haven't been recommended here for a while, where are these buyers coming from and why are they posting about their regret as if it was a result of these threads? I'm confused.
>>
>>54612829
Likelly shitposting attempts, notice how these posts never includes pics.
>>
>>54612841
Shill detected.
>>
>>54612797
>I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because the sound literally hurt my ears
Are you merely baiting us with this or are you sincerely seeking help? If you are sincerely seeking help we need more information as to what might be causing the problem.
>>
File: 1463183661054.png (12 KB, 1400x400) Image search: [Google]
1463183661054.png
12 KB, 1400x400
>>54612829
>>54612679
Being some time now, let's make more of these,
>>
>>54612829
Whats the album with senjougahara?
>>
>>54612797
look at the post above you
That is the answer
>>
>>54612929
https://airospace.bandcamp.com/

Can't say it's quite up there with his older stuff though.
>>
File: IMG_20160518_134412.jpg (892 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_134412.jpg
892 KB, 2000x1500
Hi. From /csg/. If I was rich I would instantly own these. Sounds great. Jelly. Okay I'll go back now.
>>
>Etymotic cable costs about $50 to replace
>HD558s are on Amazon for $50 used
Well I guess that settles it then. Back to Sennheiser.
>>
>>54612887
>>54612819

LG G4
my PC
my laptop
LG G4 with fiio e11

mp3 and flac files

maybe my expectations were too high
I thought since my shure se 215 that cost 100€ sound so great
this "big" headphone that a lot of people say is really good will sound amazing and will make me orgasm

oh and I think the "S" and "F" sounds hurt my ears, thats what hurts

they are not bad, they sound good, but I thought they will at least sound as good as my in ears

I I think I would keep them, if the sound wouldn't literally hurt my ears
>>
File: 1463561661312.png (105 KB, 831x911) Image search: [Google]
1463561661312.png
105 KB, 831x911
>>54612517
>>
Everybody just buy HD600 you dumb niggers.
>>
Has anyone modded a Beyer DT250 with a detachable SLR ? Can't find anything from google.
>>
>>54613190
>nobass and veil
No thanks.
>>
>>54613190
I was going to but HD558 is appealing at only $50 ($80 new) because I have other stuff to worry about and no amp. The total setback would be like $400 for 600+amp yet it'd only sound slightly better.

I'm basing this off of only owning 555.

I'll get around to it eventually.
>>
>>54613190
No thanks, I love hearing instruments in my music tracks.
>>
>>54613155
Channel matching is the same and you can't tell fidelity from a FR graph (and the signature is so similar, you can't really say one has it better than the other).
>>
>>54613301
>Channel matching is the same
CAL has noticeable channel imbalance between 7 and 9 kHz. TH-X00 only has a small dip at 8 kHz.
>you can't tell fidelity from a FR graph
TH-X00 has less %THD+N too
>you can't really say one has it better than the other
i can without a doubt say that the TH-X00 measured at IF is more accurate than the CAL measured at IF
>>
File: Headphones.jpg (119 KB, 1000x1335) Image search: [Google]
Headphones.jpg
119 KB, 1000x1335
>Budget
$100USD MAX
>Location
Nunya Business
>Source
PC
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed, but would like full surround sound
>Comfort level
High
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or Warm
>Preferred music
Dad Rock, but these will be primarily used for watching movies
>Past headphones
$20 Philips

Is the hype of the Philips SHP9500 real?

I really like them, but worried about the sound leakage. Don't want to make the misses.
>>
File: KSE1500 raw.jpg (85 KB, 700x482) Image search: [Google]
KSE1500 raw.jpg
85 KB, 700x482
>>54613089
The measurement no one was waiting for. The FR isn't that big a problem.

>>54613136
-The file format doesn't particularly matter. That has its own class of issues, generally distinct from headphone problems.
-It is very easy to expect too much from audio.

Sounds like you have a frequency response problem, particularly with high frequencies. You'll have to fix that with a parametric EQ. Get some sine sweeps ready and make adjustments to the treble level. There are some guides to using EQ on the wiki. Feel free to ask questions about that.
>>
>>54613381
>TH-X00 only has a small dip at 8 kHz.
...and the ~7dB difference at 11kHz, about a 4dB overall mismatch from 3 to 8kHz and 5dB on the lower end.
>TH-X00 has less %THD+N too
>i can without a doubt say that the TH-X00 measured at IF is more accurate than the CAL measured at IF
I totally believe that, but it's not on that graph.
>>
>>54613403
Audio Technica M30X
>>
>>54613403
>Closed
>surround sound
>Neutral or Warm

>SHP9500
Just stop. NVX XPT100
>>
>>54613415
>...and the ~7dB difference at 11kHz
measurements are only guaranteed to be accurate up to 10 kHz. and that's not 11 kHz either, it's closer to 17 kHz.
>about a 4dB overall mismatch from 3 to 8kHz
if you wan to look at the overall channel imbalance, TH-X00 wins by a large margin
>and 5dB on the lower end.
that's below 20 Hz and not audible
>I totally believe that, but it's not on that graph.
never said it was

it doesn't sound like you have a clue what you are talking about
>>
>>54613437
Those things look massive are they comfortable to wear while in bead?

Also is this anon >>54613436 trying to meme me when this anon >>54612797 is ranting about how shit his headphones are?

Also are the Sennheiser headphones any good?
>>
>>54613469
>if you wan to look at the overall channel imbalance
I'm not saying that the CAL is better and I very much doubt the poster did either, I'm just saying it costs 1/10 and at least the FR is close enough that it's way past diminishing returns. Also claiming "balance mismatch" is ridiculous since they're both mismatched with a very small difference..
>never said it was
So you made a claim without providing any sort of proof, so it's worth absolutely nothing.
Also I very much doubt you ever touched a pair of CALs, if you're claiming it's uncomfortable.
>>
>>54613506
It's because they are massive that they are comfortable.
>in bead
Maybe not. Try getting some in ears for that.

Models from the same line can be completely different in terms of frequency response.
>>
>>54613506
Aidiotechnicas are good headphones, that anon is just trying to meme, plus he bought the M50X's, when the M40X's would have sufficed
>>
>>54613510
>I'm just saying it costs 1/10 and at least the FR is close enough that it's way past diminishing returns.
i don't disagree with that
>Also claiming "balance mismatch" is ridiculous since they're both mismatched with a very small difference..
i don't think there's anything left to be said about this
>So you made a claim without providing any sort of proof, so it's worth absolutely nothing.
the proof is in the same measurement pages as the FR graphs
>Also I very much doubt you ever touched a pair of CALs, if you're claiming it's uncomfortable.
lots of people think they're uncomfortable
>>
>>54613506
>Those things look massive are they comfortable to wear while in bead?
>Also is this anon >>54613436 trying to meme me when this anon >>54612797 is ranting about how shit his headphones are?
I agree with >>54613521 The pads are great on the XPT100 and the same line != same sound.

>Also are the Sennheiser headphones any good?
Brand does not matter, only the actual product.
There are "good" companies that make bad products and "bad" companies that make good products.
>>
>>54613554
>the proof is in the same measurement pages as the FR graphs
Ok and when you post it your claim will be worth anything.
>lots of people think they're uncomfortable
And lots of people believe in angels and flat Earth, your ad populum is worth exactly nothing. Strangely IF said they were very comfortable and most reviews from big reviewers all agree. I own a pair and they're the most comfortable leather pad headphones I've worn, only velvet pads are better. Maybe you should stop talking about headphones you never tried.
>>
In the previous thread I've been suggested to buy the DT-770: does anyone knows if they suffer from a bad seal caused by eyeglasses' temples? I experienced bad sound quality with closed headphones (Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-ear) because of my eyeglasses, and I wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger on a closed headphones again.
>>
>>54613583
>Ok and when you post it your claim will be worth anything.
not sure what you are getting at. are you saying you can't find it yourself?
>And lots of people believe in angels and flat Earth, your ad populum is worth exactly nothing.
the consensus is more important than my personal opinion. it's worth everything.
>Strangely IF said they were very comfortable and most reviews from big reviewers all agree.
you don't have to be a professional reviewer to have an opinion on the comfort of a pair of headphones.
>Maybe you should stop talking about headphones you never tried.
maybe you should stop making assumptions about what headphones i have or haven't tried
>>
>>54613521
>>54613532
>>54613555
Which out the following would you choose?

Sony MDR7506/MRV6

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

Sennheiser HD 449

AKG K 240

I really like the design and flatness of the Sony's though.
>>
>>54613652
>not sure what you are getting at. are you saying you can't find it yourself?
I'm saying it's not my job to find proof for your claims.
>you don't have to be a professional reviewer to have an opinion on the comfort of a pair of headphones.
No, but you have to be a professional reviewer for your opinion to be worth anything. I could have an opinion on quantum mechanics, doesn't mean absolutely anything regarding its validity. But of course that doesn't suit you, so suddenly having lots of opinions that agree with you is more convenient than having a few well-made reviews that don't.
>the consensus is more important than my personal opinion. it's worth everything.
They're both irrelevant since they're both subjective. So if I got 500 people to say the Earth is flat, would that be more important than 1 astronomer saying it isn't? I mean, it's a consensus.
And your personal opinion is also irrelevant because you never tried those headphones.
But go ahead and show me where there's a consensus that the CALs are uncomfortable, or is that another claim you'll be leaving behind?
>maybe you should stop making assumptions about what headphones i have or haven't tried
Oh so you have tried the CALs personally?
>>
>>54613733
>No, but you have to be a professional reviewer for your opinion to be worth anything. I could have an opinion on quantum mechanics, doesn't mean absolutely anything regarding its validity.
the shape of the earth and quantum mechanics have nothing to do with opinions. comfort does because it's subjective.
>They're both irrelevant since they're both subjective.
reviewer's opinions are not facts. their stance on comfort is just as subjective as an average consumer.
>And your personal opinion is also irrelevant because you never tried those headphones.
>Oh so you have tried the CALs personally?
what if i told you that i did try out the headphones and i did find them uncomfortable? would that change anything?
>But go ahead and show me where there's a consensus that the CALs are uncomfortable, or is that another claim you'll be leaving behind?
"consensus" was a bad word choice. most people find them comfortable, but a large amount of people also find them very uncomfortable due to the small size of the earpads and the lack of padding on the headband. with so many complaints about comfort, i don't think it's reasonable to say the headphones are comfortable although many people would feel that way.
>>
>>54613882
>"consensus" was a bad word choice
Here we go, damage control.
Consensus was a perfect word choice, it just didn't suit you because the consensus is that they're comfortable. I know this because I read a lot of reviews before buying them and never found a single one saying they were uncomfortable, the most I got were people with large ears saying they worn them on-ear instead of over-ear, and still saying they were comfortable as on-ears (which are usually not). So even if there are a lot of people saying they're uncomfortable, there are many many more saying the opposite. You just cherrypicked.
>their stance on comfort is just as subjective as an average consumer.
No it isn't. A reviewer will know what to expect from headphones as a whole. If someone wore vintage Sony's their whole life of course anything they try afterwards will be more comfortable, even if it's sub-par in terms of comfort. Their knowledge is limited, so their review would be as well. Tyll from IF, who again says the CAL are very comfortable, has tried hundreds of headphones, so when he puts out a subjective opinion I at least know it comes from several years of comparison, not "I tried A and then B, and I liked B more".

I'll wait for that "large amount of people" saying they're uncomfortable though.
>>
>>54613409
I'd say that scoop is fairly problematic and what is up with the extension?
>>
File: audiogear.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
audiogear.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
How does /hpg/ rate my budget gear?

The most expensive piece of equipment is the Jabra ROX Wireless which I paid $130 for.
>>
>>54613932
>Here we go, damage control.
it's damage control if you try to cover up a statement that's wrong. i retracted it.
>Consensus was a perfect word choice, it just didn't suit you because the consensus is that they're comfortable.
like i said, most people think they're comfortable, but i wouldn't call it a consensus when there have been numerous counts of people finding them uncomfortable.
>I know this because I read a lot of reviews before buying them and never found a single one saying they were uncomfortable
you should look harder next time
>So even if there are a lot of people saying they're uncomfortable, there are many many more saying the opposite. You just cherrypicked.
pretty much in line with everything i've said so far
>If someone wore vintage Sony's their whole life of course anything they try afterwards will be more comfortable, even if it's sub-par in terms of comfort.
saying that something is "more comfortable" is not the same as saying it's comfortable.
>Tyll from IF, who again says the CAL are very comfortable, has tried hundreds of headphones, so when he puts out a subjective opinion I at least know it comes from several years of comparison, not "I tried A and then B, and I liked B more".
even someone with a similar amount of experience as tyll could find the same pair of headphones uncomfortable due to the differences in head/ear size.
>I'll wait for that "large amount of people" saying they're uncomfortable though.
i'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something before you tell me what you accept as proof.
>>
>>54614140
>saying that something is "more comfortable" is not the same as saying it's comfortable.
My whole point is that someone in that situation would find them comfortable as a whole. Their knowledge is limited. They know 2 headphones, so you can't expect them to use proper terms. They know A is more comfortable than B, and since they only know A and B, A is comfortable.
>even someone with a similar amount of experience as tyll could find the same pair of headphones uncomfortable due to the differences in head/ear size.
And someone with a similar amount of experience as Tyll will make a note saying he has a big/small head and so comfort impressions will take this into account. Which you'd know Tyll does, if you read IF.
>i'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something before you tell me what you accept as proof.
So you made a claim and you don't even know how to prove it? I'm starting to notice a pattern here.
>>
>>54614196
>>54614140
It's you two faggots again.

Seriously, just stop fighting and just make out already.
>>
>>54614196
>They know 2 headphones, so you can't expect them to use proper terms. They know A is more comfortable than B, and since they only know A and B, A is comfortable.
so your argument is based on poor reasoning skills of hypothetical people with hypothetical headphones
>So you made a claim and you don't even know how to prove it?
i could easily prove it by comparing the amount of amazon reviews complaining about the comfort of CAL and some other headphones, which are considered comfortable, like SHP9500, but i don't really see the point if you're just going to dismiss it and point to professional reviewers as the only source of information on headphone comfort.
>>
Why quarreling over a totally subjective thing like the sound signature of headphones? You should know that spending more than 300€ for headphones basically means wasting money anyways.....
>>
that's a cute miko
>>
>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, dicam accusamus eos cu
An verterem consequuntur qui, cum nominati sapientem temporibus ei
>Pro ad deserunt laboramus, eu sea mollis laboramus. Sed ea recusabo percipitur, vis dicam convenire te, ei mei viris appellantur. An graeco posidonium mea, erant deseruisse vim et. Soleat dolorem te est, vel animal epicurei delicata cu.
Ex sit detraxit sensibus
>Nostrud sententiae te mel, ad latine evertitur vel
Quo et agam molestiae signiferumque, sit aperiam forensibus ei, vel ut nulla appetere. In sapientem percipitur nam, nibh dicta zril nec eu. Tollit splendide eos ea.
>>
>Budget
50-100 euros
>Location
Portugal
>Source
PC
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I normally wear them for 2-3 hours
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
Rock,Alternative
>Past headphones
Some Shitty Headphones from ozone
>>
>>54614363
>Hypothetical
Yes, that's how hypothesis work. If you disagree with this hypothesis, provide a counter-point. Ignorant people make ignorant reviews, I don't see how this is hard to understand. I'm not saying that I can judge comfort worse than Tyll, but I am saying his opinion is worth more because he has tried more headphones, thus his opinion has more comparison involved.

Do the following: show me that at least 2/3 of any large population of reviewers (let's say Amazon?) considered the CALs uncomfortable. It's still an ad populum, but it's better than complete conjecture, which is what you have so far.
>>
>>54614541
>If you disagree with this hypothesis, provide a counter-point.
my counter point would be that you haven't provided an example where this has ever happened, but i won't ask you to, because i'm not really interested.
>Do the following: show me that at least 2/3 of any large population of reviewers (let's say Amazon?) considered the CALs uncomfortable.
without counting, i can tell you that it's not the case that 2/3 of the people mentioning comfort in CAL reviews on amazon think it's bad. i don't think it would be the case for any other popular headphone either.
>>
>>54614670
Is my hypothesis wrong? If so, show me.
Ok, 2/3 of reviews that include comfort say it's uncomfortable?
>>
>>54614907
>Is my hypothesis wrong? If so, show me.
it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis
>Ok, 2/3 of reviews that include comfort say it's uncomfortable?
no. "it's not the case that 2/3 of the people mentioning comfort in CAL reviews on amazon think it's bad"
>>
>>54614962
You were wrong then. Good afternoon.
>>
>>54615123
i was wrong according to your arbitrary target of what it takes for a pair of headphones to be comfortable
>>
>>54615151
It's your fucking claim, prove it however you want. You asked what kind of proof I'd accept, I told you, you couldn't provide. If you want to hold on to your claim, you define the criteria then.
>Major reviewers all say it's comfortable
>Most reviews say it's comfortable
>Somehow they're still uncomfortable
>>
>>54615331
>It's your fucking claim, prove it however you want.
you also claimed the opposite. i don't have to prove anything anymore than you do.
we're trying to turn something nuanced and subjective into something black and white and objective. it's unscientific and simply not possible if we can't agree on what counts as proof.
>You asked what kind of proof I'd accept, I told you, you couldn't provide.
i could have gathered the information and provided it but chose not to because i already knew what the results would be.
>>
Is it worth spending > 60$ for IEMs if the source will always be my smartphone (256 kbps AAC)?
>>
I'll never understand how headphone amp/dacs are so expensive, the o2 here in canada would cost me 370$. And for that price the fucking power connector is in the front. And people who review this headphone amp dare call this thing "affordable, good price". Audio people are so delusional lol. It's overpriced as fuck
>>
I was having mad buyers remorse after buying my first pair of "high end" headphones, but yesterday night I was listening to some aphex twin and they sounded so good. Was listening to it for 2hrs straight while working late at night. Feelsgoodman
>>
>>54616079
What headphones? Could either be that you are getting used to them or that purchase ratiolazation started to kick in.
>>
>>54616238
I went from hd558 to hd600, and at first although I knew they sounded better I felt bad for spending so much on headphones. I really like them now, perhaps its purchase rationalization. I definately won't buy anything higher end than this though
>>
>>54613409
>The measurement no one was waiting for.
Nah, I'm always interested to see measurements.
>The FR isn't that big a problem.
Honestly that would be a reason for me to never consider these regardless of their price point. That gigantic notch in upper mids/treble and brickwalled extension is disappointing to say the least. Yet another crazy expensive IEM to the bin.

>>54612819
>forgiving
Never understood what this means.
>>
I have a fiio e10k and want to upgrade to a new amp but keep the e10k as a dac, how would I do this? Can I just connect the e10k to a o2 amp or a magni? how does that work and will it look retarded?
>>
>>54616529
>Never understood what this means.
rolled off treble
>>
>>54616689
"rolled off trebble" lmao what the fuck does that even mean moron? it's just audiocuck lingo that doesn't mean anything
>>
File: randomgraph.png (37 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
randomgraph.png
37 KB, 800x555
>>54615664
256 kbps AAC is transparent which means that upgrading your files to lossless ones won't make a difference regardless of your gear. Digital compression or the limitations of a format are in a domain of their own, fairly unrelated to the gear in the first place, just like >>54613409 said. Compression artifacts are always present in the signal and aren't really masked away by headphone/amplifier/DA-converter performance aside from extremely poorly performing gear.

Most modern smartphones have really high quality audio outputs and rarely end up having audible problems. The basic amplifier/DAC checklist applies:

-Is it too quiet?
-Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
-Is there noise/EMI or hiss to it?
-Does it sound distorted as you start to crank up the volume?
If the answer is no, don't get one(=your device isn't a problem)

Price is an indication of absolutely nothing, stop paying attention to it if you want to make a good purchase. There's good and bad gear to be had in almost all price points. I can't decide what is worth it for you but I'll say that for 60 bucks you can get some really good in-ears already.

>>54616659
>how does that work
You plug the new amplifier into E10K using line out from the back instead of the headphone amplified jack in front.
>will it look retarded?
You tell me.

It's unlikely that either will give you any benefits but at least they perform better on paper.

>>54616850
Quite literal description of the frequency response.
>>
>>54613207
>>54613250
>muh claridy
maybe you could hear things better if you took the dicks out of your ears
>>
>>54616921
Thanks for the clear-up.

>I can't decide what is worth it for you but I'll say that for 60 bucks you can get some really good in-ears already.

Okay, I'll just try filling out the default purchase advice template then:

>Budget
up to 100€ (~ $115)
>Location
Germany
>Source
Smartphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Don't really care since I use special memory foam tips anyway.
>Preferred tonal balance
Somewhere between bassy and neutral.
>Past headphones
SoundMAGIC E10, however their form (sharp edges in particular) pissed me off because you could always hear the wind howling e.g. while bicycling.
>>
>budget
120 usd
>location
United states
>source
Phone
>size
Full
>open or closed
Closed
>comfort
Able to work out with
>music
Rap and country

Wireless would be prefered.
>>
Does anyone here know about integrated amps with DACs? If so what are so brands to look at? I am looking for an integrated amp as desk space is limited that can put out 50-100 watts to power a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. Ideally the amp would also have some sort of connection for a powered sub as well.

Budget is 700 dollars USD that can go to at most 800 USD.
>>
File: 0dignity.png (238 KB, 217x448) Image search: [Google]
0dignity.png
238 KB, 217x448
>Budget
200€ max.
>Location
France
>Source
PC
Around ear
>Open or closed
Don't know
>Comfort level
high
>Preferred music
No really preference. I find happinesss in many kind.
>Past headphones
Shitty cheap stuffs.

Actually, I need a headphone for gaming (so with a mic) but also to listening musics or watching movies.
Previously I had a 5.1 speaker kit but now I have moved into a flat and I don't want troubles with my neighbors.
I have done some research and the Sennheiser GAME ONE or ZERO seem good. But I don't know a shit about headphones.
>>
>>54617726
Yamaha AS-301/501/701 all match what you need spec wise. They have digital inputs and subwoofer output. Marantz PM6005 is a competing integrated amplifier with digital inputs. It lacks a subwoofer output however but it's also considerably smaller than the Yamahas making it easier to locate. Don't pay attention to power figures. 50 watts per channel is already insane amount for the KEFs in a nearfield/small to average listening room.
>>
>>54618073
Would the Cambridge Audio CXA80 be overkill for it? There is one in my local area for sale for 600 dollars that I am thinking of getting as it seems fairly well received for this purpose.
>>
>>54617111
My ears are clean, thanks. Frankly I wouldn't spend as much money as a HD600 requires, when HD600 is literally good only for human voices. I'd rather take a headphone that's worth its money.
>>
uh guys. i was hearing weird, like, i dunno, clicking? through my left cup. its running through an element, and ive been through hell trying to figure out whats going on. changing everything and trying on different devices with extremely varying results. but now i figured out whats causing it: wifi transmission! im no hardware guy, but i guess something inside the element is picking up on wifi signals and it's getting to my headphones?? i cant believe this. should i just put the element in a faraday cage or something??
>>
>>54620556
>when HD600 is literally good only for human voices
What?
>>
>>54621421
"ferrite filter" attach it to left wire.
>>
>>54621508
interesting. do these work without actually affecting quality? cant see how that works.
>>
>>54621584
No idea. I bought some online but I dont have it yet. I got them because I think it stops that transmission noise when I get an SMS on my phone that's positioned close to my headphone wires.
>>
>>54616659
My brother has that exact combo with the e10k sitting on top in a pyramid form being held by black tape or bands, it actually looks quite sexy. Also the dac chip in the e10k is exactly the same as the one in the o2 dac. so it's essentially a slightly bigger but cheaper o2 amp+dac combo and it works great.
>>
>>54621669
well again i dont really know how all this works, but i know enough to say that it depends what component is picking it up. if it happens before the conversion to analog, it wont do anything. if after, it could help, depending exactly where
>>
>>54621739
E10K contains the same ES9023 chip?
>>
>>54621820
Yes, as does my HiFiDiYme sabre dac that cost £40, but if you already have the e10k like my brother did before his amp upgrade then you might as well just use that as the dac, as long as you look the look of the 'stack' at least . I actually just tried to take a pic of it to show you but the lighting and my phone are too shit.
>>
File: L2.png (83 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
L2.png
83 KB, 500x286
>>54612155
>L2
Now those are some warm cans.
>>
Are sure about that? Google searches everywhere says it contains a Texas Instruments chip not the same Sabre chip.
>>
>>54621946
Forgot to include reply >>54622031
>>
File: mobile_setup.png (196 KB, 1400x400) Image search: [Google]
mobile_setup.png
196 KB, 1400x400
>>54612894
Don't worry anon, I'll post for you.
>>
>>54622031
>>54622050

I don't know 100% but people in the know on other sites and on here all say the same thing. Also there are a few hifidiyme sabre dacs and I didn't mention which one mine was, I'm not sure if all the 'cheap' sabre dacs share the same chip but my dac apparently has the o2 dac chip.
>>
>>54622105
The PCM5102 chip? My Pifi DAC+ contains a PCM5122 which is the same.

Are you saying your Fiio E10K contains a Sabre ES9023 chip?
>>
>>54621739
it's actually retarded that I can buy the o2 amp for 170$ and the o2 amp+dac is 370$, 200$ more for a dac? (im in canada btw). I would rather have the clean look of a all in 1 unit instead, but whatever. Guess I'll buy the o2 amp and connect it with my fiio e10k
>>
I ordered my headphones from amazon instead of a proper audio equipment store, and I kind of regret it now. What are the chances of them being fake?
>>
>>54622277
If it's an Amazon authorized seller and they're fake, Amazon should replace your order.
>>
>>54622263
Yeah I kow, I would love to have both inside this sexy o2 box since I know it's going to be my amp for life pretty much, My setup looks quite good with my o2 amp sitting on top of my pc and the sabre dac plugged into a front usb not far below but hidden at the side. The e10k sitting on top of the o2 does look goo but I prefer my approach. Selling the e10k and buying a sabre dac could be an option, but more hassle I guess.
>>
>>54622333
It's not from a seller, but directly from Amazon, but who knows. I just started finding a lot of shit about fakes of my model on the internet and how to differenciate them. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with getting fake stuff.
>>
>>54622205
I can't remember the exact name/code right now and my brain is fried because i need to go to sleep but all I can say is that many many people say that the 10k and my sabre dac have the same dac chip as the o2 dac. my brother uses the e10k as his dac and I use the sabre as mine. both out setup's sound identical, and pretty great overall.We have found our endgame put it that way.
>>
>>54622460
Sauce on the many many people?
>>
Been using AD700xs for the past 2 years or so.
Bought some 558s to replace them since they broke, and holy shit the 700s or way more comfier. I don't know if it's because the 700s just have no bass, but 558s make the sound of everything feel slightly dirty for whatever reason too.
>>
>>54622539
>buy muddy headphones
>complain about mud
foam modding them can help. EQ will definitely help.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10248439
Keep in mind that I might upgrade to a better pair of headphones soon
>>
>>54622482
>Sauce on the many many people?

I'm only posting this stuff to be helpful, because me and my brother personally own these devices and we did so before I found out that they apparently have the same chip as the o2 dac chip. I can't trace the old threads from here in the past or from head-fi that I've lurked randomly at times but lots of people say it. it's just a dac, it doesn't exactly fucking do anything but make your system quiet by removing 'noise'.

Either use you e10k as a dac or mega over spend on the o2 combo, it's up to you. i'm telling you the combo is not worth the money at all, there are great alternatives and it just turns out that apparently they're essentially the exact same thing.

Good night.
>>
>>54622699
Admittedly it's my fault for not having known that. I thought it would just be like the sennheiser equivalent. I got them from amazon, so maybe I can just refund and buy the same shit I already had.
>>
>>54622699
>foam modding them can help
it won't.
>>
>>54622903
What solution is there then?
>>
>>54622963
EQ or buying different headphones. the 598 have a bigger dip in the upper midrange where the 558 do not.
>>
>>54613630
Anyone?
>>
>>54614462
Bumping
>>
Is there any apparent difference between the AD700 and AD700x? Comfort, quality, etc.
>>
Hello /g/, /c/ fag here! Looking to invest in some decent headphones and would greatly appreciate your assistance!

>Budget
I'm in the 150-200 USD range. I would prefer to stay below 180, but if there is a substantial upgrade or such at <200, I'd be willing to buy those.
>Location
USA
>Source
PC/Phone
Full Size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I listen to music all the time--almost literally. I'll be wearing them a ton, but I'd be willing to give up on some comfort-bells and whistles if it gives me better quality sound.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or if anything, a little bassier/"V"ed, but obviously not something obscene bassy; that's not my priority.
>Preferred music
I listen to a lot of modern up tempo jazz/bebop like Chic Corea etc., modal jazz like McCoy Tyner, but I also listen to classical things. The jazz I listen to usually isn't "old" sounding.
>Past headphones
Terrible headset-combos, and whatever was below 25$ in the ear-bud section of Target. This will be the first time I buy actually decent headphones.

Thank you very much!
>>
>>54623300
Any particular reason you prefer closed over open? It doesn't sound like you are looking for anything portable since you're asking for fullsized.
>>
>>54621957
Seems so, at least i'm counting on it, don't have any warm signature headphone yet.
>>
>>54623300
you cant be from a board that is that slow dude, doesnt work like that.
anyway, i know this is a bit over, but nothing in closed in that price range is really "very good" unless you want to move down a lot and get some sony 7506. the dt770 are probably too bassy for you. i would say get these if you can
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTAE2B0

>>54623158

>>54623045
not really sure
>>
>>54623461
>move down a lot and get some sony 7506

Are they not that great? I'm waiting for mine to arrive within 2 days and I'm very hyped. Upgrading from the shitty superlux 681. I wonder if I'll be able to notice a differece.
>>
>>54623432
For 1. I like the sound of the music more coming from within my head than the well, open, sound of open backs. 2. Even though specifically designated "isolation" or "noise canceling" headphones aren't a necessity for me, I really like to have a bubble where people aren't listening to what I'm listening to (regardless of whether or not they're trying), and where I don't have to listen to anything else.

I appreciate the response!
>>
>>54623461
Fair enough. I knew there was a "pricing wall" where there is a gap between goodness and excellence, but I'm not yet experienced with the headphone/sound market to really know where that is, so thank you.

Thank you for the quick response, also.
>>
>>54623757
>I like the sound of the music more coming from within my head than the well, open, sound of open backs.
You prefer a smaller congested sound stage over an open one? Sounds like you'd rather have IEMs than closed headphones if you want to restrict the sound to the "headstage."
>>
>>54623754
they are very good. i was meaning to imply that there just isnt much of a transition from 100-200 usd in the closed, neutral headphone market. there are some, like the dt770, but they are not neutral at all.

>>54623803
not a problem
>>
>>54623847
Do you know if they better than the xpt100? It was a tossup between those two for me.
>>
>>54623831
I've only listened through openback headphones a handful of times, and I don't believe the few I listen through were very good. They seemed faint, with no lower response--they were practically all mids, tried with several different EQs. Perhaps mid-higher open backs don't have the same responselessness?

If clarity and separation of sound is much more a given of openbacks than closed backs at this price, then I suppose I'd like to change to preference to "open", rather than closed.

Also given the other Anon's response regarding the stagnancy of the closed back market at this range, would you recommend going with open back?
>>
>>54623951
>>54623300
Try out fidelio x2's

Amazon warehouse deals has a few, and anything sold by them can easily be returned if you don't like it or if they have a problem

You'll only want closed if you're in a really loud location or if you have other people nearby and you don't want them hearing your music.
If that's the case you might want to try out the M100's, same thing with amazon warehouse deals
>>
What's the cheapest amp/dac combo I should buy? I found about the SMSL M2, but it has bad reviews on amazon, now I'm looking at a SMSL SD793.
>>
>>54623862
do you like bass?
yes = xpt100
no = 7506
>>
>>54624244
also sorry for late reply
>>
>>54624244
I don't like bass, but I like detachable cables. I wonder if I can mod them to have one without fucking them up.
>>
>>54624302
not a clue in that department
>>
>>54624244
liking bass would be something like the m50x. xpt100 have relatively neutral bass, i've heard a lot of people actually disappointed in the lack of bass because they were expecting a lot.
>>
>>54624415
i didnt mean to say their bass was strong to someone that wanted bass, im merely comparing the two, where the xpt100 -certainly- has more
>>
>>54624519
So uhh the 7506 has no bass at all?
>>
File: OPPO_PM-3_fejhallgato_big.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1661) Image search: [Google]
OPPO_PM-3_fejhallgato_big.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1661
Oppo pm-3s came in today. They sound fantastic out of the box and are surprisingly very comfortable
>>
File: 1460233101680.png (41 KB, 667x357) Image search: [Google]
1460233101680.png
41 KB, 667x357
>>54624583
its preeeeetty low man
>>
File: Test.png (1 MB, 1196x588) Image search: [Google]
Test.png
1 MB, 1196x588
Are the ATH-M40x's really this good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA

Can't decide between them and the Sony 7506. I like the smaller, cleaner design and look of the Sony's, but if the Audio-Techinca's sound this good I'll definitely be going for them.
>>
>>54624655
7506 are better. they just lack bass, so dont get them if you must have bass
>>
File: 1414872289331.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1414872289331.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>54624687
But how little bass do they have?

I want to listen to Classic Rock/Metal and enjoy surround sound of movies.
>>
>>54622776
g-guys? ;_;
>>
>>54624655
>>54624777
I had the same dillema as you yesterday, between those two, and the xpt100 as well. Realistically I wasn't gonna get the 7506 because the others seem to be a better bang for the buck, although I really wanted them because of weaboo reasons.

So I just did a coin flip and the sony's won. At least they have the best aesthetic out of the 3 models.
>>
>>54624860
the 7506 are better, dont worry. its just that they lack bass. youre pretty much not going to hear any. i mean you will, but, you are going to practically have to search for it. i dunno, it depends on a lot of things, including your hearing. the only way to be sure is to hear yourself.

but comparatively speaking, its very low. thats all i can say.
>>
>>54624919
Fuck it's impossible for it to be that low. Can't it be EQ'd a little bit or something?
>>
File: 1462683427444.jpg (56 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1462683427444.jpg
56 KB, 645x773
>>54624919
>the 7506 are better
>its just that they lack bass. youre pretty much not going to hear any

>>54624778
Voted
>>
>>54624860
I love the Aesthetics of the Sony 7506's and their clarity.
Please post pics when you get them and could you test them with some classic rock (like AC/DC) and tell me if they seem lacking in anyway?
>>
>budget
$60-80 USD
>location
United States
>source
Don't have a dac amp, going straight into laptop & ipad
>preferred type
Closed over ear
>comfort level
/comfy/ enough to wear for a while, will also probably wear them while laying on a bed
>tonal balance
Neutral, but still has bass
>music
Anything
>past headphones
My most recent pair were Beats Solo, but they broke
>>
File: 1461565847413.png (129 KB, 724x611) Image search: [Google]
1461565847413.png
129 KB, 724x611
>>54625082
ATH-M40x
>>
>>54625109
Those are 100 dollarydoos, anon, out of budget
Though I was considering the M30X
>>
>>54625069
I mean I could, but I don't know how worth my opinion will be, because I don't really listen to classic rock, and they'll also be my first decent headphones, also powered by my shitty phone. I'm also scared of getting sent fakes made in china.
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new pair of cans. Can I get some help? Thanks!

>Budget
$125 - $200 (hard limit, prefer closer to $150)

>Location
USA

>Source
General use, want to use them in my computer and phone on the go

Full-sized circumaural

>Open or closed
Not entirely sure

>Comfort level
Going to be wearing these most of the day, so something comfy would be great

>Preferred tonal balance
Not entirely sure honestly

>Preferred music
I listen to pretty much everything except country, but I'm biased towards future funk, metal, and electro-swing nowadays. Also really getting into classical

>Past headphones
Sony MDRXB700 - comfy as fuck
ATH M50
>>
>>54625210
I should also mention that I do a fair bit of gaming
>>
>>54622410
sabre dac + o2 amp looks like a good choice, I'll look into that. I think I'll keep my e10k for now and try to sell it eventually and upgrade to that setup
>>
>>54625142
>>54625166
M40's on Amazon for $84
The M30's are also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB-JC2b_pbU
>>
>>54625226
that's hardcore
>>
>Budget
$30 USD
>Location
NY, USA
>Source
Phone(MotoX 2ndGen)
Earbud
>Open or closed
Earbud :^)
>Comfort level
Comfy earbud
>Preferred tonal balance
Any
>Preferred music
Any
>Past headphones
Earbuds that came with an old LG L7 series which are quite comfortable.
>>
>>54625275
:^)
>>
>>54625300
;-D
>>
>>54625166
Doesn't matter, your opinion will be greatly appreciated anon. Also take note that the audio driver on your phone might not be powerful enough to fully drive your headphones.

I bought some great in-earphones a week ago and they sound terrible above 50% volume.
>>
>>54625296
MEElectronics AF18
>>
File: wojak16.png (13 KB, 640x712) Image search: [Google]
wojak16.png
13 KB, 640x712
>>54625296
Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbuds $7
>>
>>54625353
Fuck wait those are the wireless shit ones

Meant to say MEElectronics M6
>>
>>54625353
>>54625365
>>54625380
Not looking for in-ear. :')
>>
>>54625336
I don't know. my current ones are the HD-681 evo's which have half the impedance of the sony's. We'll see.
>>
>>54625401
>Earbud
>Not looking for in ear
>>
>>54625296
If open, Fidelio X2
If closed, Sony MDR7506, plus you'll save money
>>
Hey everyone! I already have a pair of headphones that I'm fairly satisfied with right now, but I want a decent pair of earphones since I've been spending a fair amount of time exercising.

>Budget
$100-$150. I'm looking to get something good for the price in terms of sound quality, but it doesn't need to be anything spectacular since I won't be using this in an idle and quiet environment.
>Location
Long Island, NY
>Source
Probably my phone for IEMs. I have a desktop setup but this is for running.
IEMs. I prefer full-size in normal conditions but headphones will probably be too bulky for running etc.
>Comfort level
As high as possible. Looks don't really matter but appreciated
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced. My understanding is that I can change the balance through software, so it's best to keep it neutral so I can change it whichever way I would like. This is how it works, right?
>Past headphones
In terms of headphones I had a pair of DT880s that broke on me. I liked them and they were comfy but I found it bright. I currently have HD650s, which are comfy and lightweight as well, with (afaik) a bit less treble and more mids. I prefer the HD650s, and my IEMs will ideally have similar characteristics, but the closer to neutral it is the better.
>>
>>54625437
>>54625210
Meant to reply to this anon
>>
>>54625438
Bose Soundsport In-ear
>>
File: 1421015132416.png (35 KB, 252x255) Image search: [Google]
1421015132416.png
35 KB, 252x255
>>54625411
>>54624687
>>54624919

WTF? This guy is saying that they have good bass at 4:00 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHbkCDgllU

I should just buy those Feelips SPH9500's instead.
>>
>>54625638
go for it. its your money
>>
>>54625438
MA750
>>
>>54625638
Aren't those open? Surely they can't have no bass at all, I'm just gonna assume people are used to way more until I get them.
>>
This thread is cancer. This is just a huge elitist jerkoff circle. People hardly even dispense purchase advice and, while having the monopoly on all headphone-related discussion, everyone is ready to jump at and maul whoever mentions wireless or headset. You're all a bunch of cunts. Please stop making this thread.
>>
>>54625746
you
>>
>>54625746
>This is just a huge elitist jerkoff circle.
i wish
>>
>>54625746
>defending wireless
Might as well get an adapter so you aren't stuck with shitty old tech when Bluetooth upgrades again. You will also have god cans for normal use
>>
>>54625745
No those are the Sony's. An Anon in this thread was saying that they were lacking in bass, and that seems to be consensus in reviews.

Which headphones do you have the Sony's or the Feelips?

>>54625693
Which one the Sony 7506 or the Feelips SPH9500's?

>>54625746
Welcome to /g/
>>
>>54625815
>An Anon in this thread was saying that they were lacking in bass, and that seems to be consensus in reviews.
it also happens to be what the measurements posted right here >>54624640 show
what a coincidence
>>
File: bawwwww.jpg (16 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
bawwwww.jpg
16 KB, 350x300
>>54625746
>>
>>54625858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A4VX9D0oec

This doesn't sound lacking in bass to me. And they weren't just saying that those phones are lacking in base but have no bass at all.
>>
>>54625890
>This doesn't sound lacking in bass to me.
no, it sounds more like violent farting. please stop linking zeos vids.
>>
>>54625815
I don't have either, but I have the sony's ordered. The sony's aren't open, I was talking about the philips ones.
>>
>>54625890
>video is not available in your country

Fucking Germany lmao, such fucking retards.

>>54625950
I thought that guy was pretty /hpg/, he's a weeb, and he has videos on almost everything that's being talked about in here.
>>
>>54625950
Then what headphones would you recommend?

>>54625966
oh ok. Plz post review when they arrive.
>>
>>54625987
>I thought that guy was pretty /hpg/
he's literally a redditor. people (probably just one guy) link his vids to be ebin trolles.

>>54625990
haven't really been following the discussion. did you ask for purchase advice? link me to it if you did
>>
>>54626043

>>54624655
>>54624777(Check these tripps)
>>54624999
>>54625638

Should I go for the ATH-M40x, Sony 7506 or Feelips 9500 Memephones.

I will be listening to Classic Rock and Metal and Movies.
>>
>>54626111
you can't compare closed and open headphones.
if you don't need the isolation, you should go with open. and that leaves you SHP9500.
>>
>>54625432
Only following what the wiki says, senpai~

>In-ears or IEMs (In ear monitor) are the type of earphones that is inserted into your ear canal. How far in an IEM goes varies, but they tend to provide decent isolation against outside noise. Examples include Etymotic ER4, Shure SE215.

>Earbuds are earphone that do not go inside your ears, like the junk you see included with older iPods. They are almost always terrible sounding and offer no isolation.
>>
File: 0dc7ca6d.jpg (596 KB, 869x868) Image search: [Google]
0dc7ca6d.jpg
596 KB, 869x868
>Budget
$50~$75
>Location
The United States of America
>Source
Smartphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Not uncomfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
Somewhere between bassy and neutral
>Preferred music
Mostly Baroque/Chamber Pop, and IDm. Stuff like Tori Amos, Cat Power, Björk, Kate Bush, Lisa Germano, and then stuff more like Autechre.
>Past headphones
SoundMAGIC E10 (lost them), KZ-ED5 (currently have them)
>>
>>54624640
Overall that's pretty damn flat though.
>>
>>54613728
None go with the NVX XPT100

Though if it does have to be one of those 4 then The Sony.
>>
>>54625082
NVX XPT100

M series audio technicas are a meme and not comfortable at all.
>>
>>54626566
>>54626590
Did I fuck up buying the 7506 over the xpt100?
>>
>>54626725
no.
>>
File: hpg_setup2.png (210 KB, 1400x400) Image search: [Google]
hpg_setup2.png
210 KB, 1400x400
>>54612894
>>54622098
Updated mine just 4 u.
>>
File: hp_setup.png (233 KB, 1191x383) Image search: [Google]
hp_setup.png
233 KB, 1191x383
>>
File: Catch the Sound Wave.png (566 KB, 455x601) Image search: [Google]
Catch the Sound Wave.png
566 KB, 455x601
>>54612894
Just waiting for the L2 to test it and update my template, both should happen tomorrow, picking a few favorite albums in the meanwhile
>>54622098
Cool, have tested those before, warm and comfy, do you like it?
>>54612829
>>54627413
Nice, maybe one day i'll have an HD800S, really want to know how that stage sounds like.
>>
>>54627980
Which one is your favorite?
>>
>>54627985
No stores around to demo it or at least the HD 800?
>>
>>54628112
Nope, i live in a small town, most of the testing i did was in college, don't know of any audiophile stores in the city either.
>>
I have a HD650 and an O2 amp. I feel like the O2 is not doing it justice.

Will a 'better' amp actually yield a better experience; or does my problem lie with the headphone itself?
>>
>>54628366
People telling you things isn't going to convince you so the best thing you can do is try it yourself.
>>
>>54628436
The last thing I want to do is make the expensive mistake of purchasing a $300-$400 amplifier and not hearing a single difference.

Nothing wrong with trying to do a little research first.
>>
>>54628457
Anecdotal evidence will get you nowhere and if you buy something popular it'll retain most of its resale value, if anything you can think of the loss as a payment for renting it for however long you have it before it is sold off.

Or on head-fi you could probably make a gain because they don't regulate flipping and people wildly overpricing shit.
>>
>>54628366
>I feel like the O2 is not doing it justice.
Why would you think that? The amplifierchecklist in >>54616921 is very broadly applicable.
>does my problem lie with the headphone itself?
The headphone generally. Play around with EQ as a option.

>>54628521
>if you buy something popular it'll retain most of its resale value, if anything you can think of the loss as a payment for renting it for however long you have it before it is sold off.
Problem is that popularity and FOTM tend to go together.
>>
>>54628576
Schiit stuff for example is still very popular and holds its value well.
>>
>>54628576
It sounds alright at best, I feel like I can tell the signature is nice and the potential is there, but the bass is a little bloomy and the midrange is grainy.

I'm going to get a Garage1217 Polaris amp and a standalone DAC and test the combination.

Thanks anyways.
>>
>>54628663
If you want a different sound why would you go solid-state?
>>
>>54628663
i know youre not going to listen, but you have no idea what youre talking about. your hearing is completely biased.
>>
>>54628692
I don't want a different sound, I feel the headphone is under powered. I feel this is the case with both the 600 and 650 which I have.

>>54628728
OK. Doesn't really help.
>>
>>54628752
It's not underpowered. The O2 runs the DT880-600 perfectly well, let alone the DT880-250. The HD600/650 are easier to drive than either of those.
>>
>>54628772
But have you heard better? What are you basing this off of other than "It's good enough for me"?
>>
>>54628752
>OK. Doesn't really help.
its because i dont think you want help. im going to tell you this only once, and i will not respond if you try to argue it: the O2 is doing none of those things to your audio
>>
File: IMG_1738.jpg (726 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1738.jpg
726 KB, 2000x1333
>>54628806
I've heard the Burson Soloist, Woo WA6 and WA22, HDVD800 and various cheaper amps.

You're either going to convince yourself there's a huge difference or realize that the difference is negligible, if even existent.

Hence why I suggested finding out for yourself because I'm not going to convince you by posting here at all, your curiously will just burn into you until you cave in and buy a different amp.
>>
My second hand Noble 4 came today

At first I thought they were too bright and sibilant, but the more I listened to better mastered tracks, I realized the issue isn't the in ears themselves but some of the music I listen to is just poorly recorded. For example, Random Access Memories sounded perfect in them, I couldn't find a single flaw in the sound except maybe too rolled off sub bass, but switching to Guns N Roses, every "ss" and cymbal crash fucked my ears.

Very impressed with their accuracy and clarity, and the dynamics are very good for a quad driver IEM.
>>
>>54629000
>I realized the issue isn't the in ears themselves but some of the music I listen to is just poorly recorded
Be glad you don't listen to anime music. Those fucking chinks still don't realize that they need appropriate mics for their singers because their crooked teeth create some fucking painful sibilance.
>>
File: 1408115166197.jpg (27 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1408115166197.jpg
27 KB, 640x360
>>54629000
Or they could actually be bright. That's a possibility. Measurement is raw from IEC 711 type coupler.
The N4 is out of production, so that dampens interest in it somewhat.
>>
>>54629137
I see. Thanks for this.

I never found measurements of the N4, but that 6-7k peak explains how sometimes theres some sibilance, but I know in some recordings that peak doesn't even show up, and if it does, it just comes across as detailed, but some tracks are barely tolerable.

I didn't pay a whole lot for it and the mids sound so great that I can't really be mad at a peak that's only occasionally sibilant.
>>
>Budget
$100-$120
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop/phone
Fullsized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Audio quality > comfort
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral. As flat of a response curve as possible.
>Preferred music
/mu/core + hip hop. I'm doing a bit of hip hop production as well and I don't have the budget for actual monitors. I've been mixing in a really ghetto fashion by listening to my tracks on every possible thing I'm familiar with.
>Past headphones
Some shitty $40 headphones I've had for 4 years.

I love all of you.
>>
>>54629316
K240 studio
>>
>>54629462
second this
>>
File: 20160519_134052 (1).jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160519_134052 (1).jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
I when shopping today and got to try out the ATH-M50X. They are a really good pair of headphones, they are bass heavy but this compliments a lot of songs.

>>54629316
ATH-M50x if you like that bass ;^)
>>
>>54629462
Is the m50x overhyped? K240s are half the price. The only issues I see with them is less of a response for really low bass which might be useful with hip hop. It is a flatter curve overall though.
>>
>>54629462
>>54629480
How does it compare to the SPH9500's?

>>54629646
Yes they are overhyped, but they are genuinely good, personally I don't like the amount of bass the m50x puts out.
>>
>>54629646
M50x are pretty garbage: both for studio work and pleasure listening. You said as flat of a response curve as possible; M50x is V-shaped with boosted bass, sucked out mid-range and shrill highs that are fatiguing as fuck.

Sure they have detail but they shove the detail in your face in the most unpleasant way possible.
>>
>>54629693
What would you recommend that has a flat output?
>>
>>54629733
I just told you. If you must go that route the M40x is noticeably flatter; still slightly V-shaped. I can actually tolerate listening to it at least.
>>
>>54629770

>>54629733
wasn't me, I think I'm going with the SPH9500s on this one. Thanks.
>>
>>54629801
Lol are we the same person?
>>
>>54629687
>SPH9500
they are a bit more consistent/neutral than the k240, but the k240 has a more fuller, natural sounding bass and that might be better for hip hop mixing since a big part of hip hop are the sub bass rhythms.

but if completely neutral/flat is your preference, SPH9500 is the better headphone
>>
>>54629316
Do you need isolation? Do you mean to use your headphone on mean of transports/public places?
1) yes - - > get a closed headphone, the best one is the Sony MDR 7506. Don't pay attention to people supporting Audio Technica, they're shitposters.
2) no - - > get an open headphone. For your budget you could get either a Sennheiser HD518, or a Philips SHP9500 or a AKG K240. All of them are fairly neutral, but: Sennheiser is warmer and veiled, Philips has really weak bass, AKG is similar to the Sony 7506 in terms of sound signature, then it's more detailed and more balanced than the other two. I'd personally go with the AKG.
>>
>>54629861
How would the SPH9500 compare to the HD518 and HD558 for Classic Rock and movie watching?
>>
>>54629878
Continuation:
Since you want a headphone for mixing, bear in mind that both Sony 7506 and AKG K240 were and still are used in most music studios around the world. They're the most accurate headphones you could get at your budget.
>>
>>54629969
>K240
>accurate
hah
>>
>>54629980
> hah
Nice quality shitposting.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.