[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We often talk about amd vs nvidia, mac vs pc, but how about we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (395 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
395 KB, 750x1334
We often talk about amd vs nvidia, mac vs pc, but how about we talk about routers?
Whats your go to router brand and which is the one you're currently using?

Mines pic related.
>>
Some $15 Walmart Belkin. My connection is just as fast as plugging directly into the router so I call it good.
>>
>>54610356

I use an aironet 1602e for wireless bridging, and a Shuttle Celeron running CentOS 6.x for routing/firewall/etc.

OpenWrt/DD-WRT/etc., are neat, but they always have weird bugs and limitations, and the QC is never as good, because the universe of consumer router equipment is enormous.
>>
>buy generic dlink router
>fall for the freetard meme
>install wrt
>goes smoothly
>it eventually dies
>buy second identical router
>install wrt
>it freaks the fuck out if you change any setting at all
>revert back to OEM
>works perfectly

Fuck everything.
>>
>>54610356
BUFFALO
U
F
F
A
L
O
>>
File: IMG_20160518_121825.jpg (890 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_121825.jpg
890 KB, 1920x2560
>>54610356
I'm using a Huawei HG655b with a TL-WN7200ND wifi adapter, connected to him by USB. All done with the help of OpenWrt.

Is a great router
>>
WRT... only good embedded OS. but i am going to move to pfsense soon
>>
Production environment, usually Cisco for me, dependent upon client requirement.. SonicWall are also pretty nice to work with.

For me it doesn't even matter at home, but I have a DrayTek 2925 if anyone actually cares.
>>
>>54610356
>he fell for the netgear meme
>>
Linksys, because they support the use of OpenWRT and have some routers with open chipsets that allow the user to fuck with the software defined radios.
>>
>routers
I use iptables, dnsmasq, dhcpd and Linux with a D-link PCI-E wireless adapter. 802.11n reaches my subscription speed and the signal is at max behind two concrete walls and an active microwave oven. Never buying a router again unless it's built into a modem that I need, they're all designed like lightbulbs.
>inb4 electricity costs
My electricity bill was higher by average before I plugged this machine in and left it on 24/7.
>>
>>54613308
Though I did advice my parents on which router to buy and ended up choosing some model of Linksys for them which lasted ridiculously long. I don't remember why they switched, but the same model wasn't available in local stores anymore, and the newer "equivalent" overheated daily or more like every other router does.
>>
Bought the Archer C7 a while back. It's pretty good, especially with openWRT and wrtbwmon installed. Only issue is that AC speeds slow down a bit with openWRT.

Coverage is great though.
>>
I have the modem that comes with the Xfinity service.
>>
>>54610356
Normal people don't talk like this./g/ can you not tell see the shills anymore?
>>
>>54612533
>Huawei
enjoy the chingchong botnet
>>
Linksys wrt54g, the greatest router of all time. Running Tomato firmware.
>>
I'm using an Asus rt-n16 with Merlin firmware. It's pretty solid, but I also have a 1u micro server with pfsense, but it's loud and I need to redo some cabling in my a garage so I can put it out there.
>>
It's really something that's supposed to be judged by model. TP-LINK seems to be the most generally well regarded consumer models from what little I've read a few months ago.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.