[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super fast internet speeds are coming this year… through your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1440825298671.jpg (23 KB, 672x434) Image search: [Google]
1440825298671.jpg
23 KB, 672x434
>G.Fast is the technology in question, and it comesfrom Israeli chipmaker Sckipio. G.Fast can currently deliver download and upload speeds of 750Mbps, or 50 times faster than what your ISP likely offersyou right now. Next year, G.Fast speeds will double thanks to a new generation of chips,CNN Moneyreports. That means you could enjoy up to 1.5Gbps download and upload speeds, which is faster thanGoogle Fiber.

>The best part about this technology is that it works over regular phone lines, which means it can be deployed in most cities without having to throw huge amounts of cash at newinfrastructure. Rather than digging up roads and yards for fiber and rewiring buildings, internet companies would be able to take advantage of the technology that’s already available to them: Regular old phone lines and coaxial cables.

>G.Fast technology will be available in the US later this year via AT&T, which is looking to pair it up with the cable infrastructure it got when it boughtDirecTV. G.Fast won’t be available nationwide initially, but Sckipio says that a single phone company could roll it out to the entire country in just four years.

>Other advantages of G.Fast include its ability tosustain high speeds even in crowded areas like apartment buildings. DSL internet can lose up to 90% of its speed by the time it reaches modems in buildings, but G.Fast would only lose 5% to 10% onthe same trip.

>As for cost, bringing fiber from the street to homes can cost as much as $100,000, the Israeli company says. The boxes on the street that need to be installed for G.Fast cost $70,000 each, and it costs nothing to bring the signal to ahome.

http://bgr.com/2016/05/17/g-fast-google-fiber/

Thoughts? Retro revolution or snake oil that won't deliver?
>>
Britcuck here, this shit has supposedly been coming to the UK for 2+ Years. gl merica
>>
>>54609472
>The boxes on the street that need to be installed for G.Fast cost $70,000 each
DEAD
>>
snake oil that could have succeeded if people actually gave a shit
>>
Had this at my last place, was so slow it gave me cancer
>>
File: jewing_intensifies.jpg (29 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
jewing_intensifies.jpg
29 KB, 350x350
>>54609472
Yes, good goys. This will really speed up your internet for a low price of only 100,000 shekels.
>>
>>54609788
>snake oil that could have succeeded
hold on der buddy
>>
>>54609788
if by "gave a shit" you mean they fixed what are probably gigantic mass production problems, and/or went past large patents.
probably the former. definitely the former.
>>
Meanwhile I'm paying over $200 for a triple play plan from Comcast and only getting 20Mbps on a good day.
>>
>>54609472
>works over regular phone lines
>phone lines
>>
I don't see this working out well. They will not have the speeds they say they will have. They will be faster but they will up the price 1000%.
>>
File: 5333991608.png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5333991608.png
32 KB, 300x135
>>54609937
Apparently they upgraded my speed, who knew. It still sucks for what I'm paying though. Should really be getting at least 100Mbps.
>>
>>54609472
>The boxes on the street that need to be installed for G.Fast cost $70,000 each
Dead on arrival
>>
>G.fast is a digital subscriber line (DSL) standard for local loops shorter than 500 m, with performance targets between 150 Mbit/s and 1 Gbit/s, depending on loop length.[1] High speeds are only achieved over very short loops. Although G.fast was initially designed for loops shorter than 250 meters, Sckipio in early 2015 demonstrated G.fast delivering speeds over 100 megabits nearly 500 meters and the EU announced a research project.[2]
>shorter than 500m
well that doesn't help me
>>
"Gigabit" over Docsis 3.1 is something that will actually happen. We just need to stop wasting precious space on the coax lines on television shit. Right now Comcast wants to pass off 35 Mbps upload as competitive with Google's symmetric Gigabit service.
>>
>>54609472
>>The best part about this technology is that it works over regular phone lines,
Yea... I'm good. If you live in the Northeastern part of the country (Like myself) and you've had DSL you'll know that your connection gets fucked the second anything (read:wind, squirrel, rain) moves your phone line. your connection drops to a crawl over a phone line (I do not miss my DSL days). This is cool in theory but in reality the phone line infrastructure in a lot of places is old and really worn, meaning this will perform like absolute ass in real world situations.
>>
>>54610214
I live in Vermont. My old DSL line went from the main road a few miles away, up over a 4th class road, through some reasonable dense woods, down, around a small village, up over another hill where it branches in two, then into my house.

I'd walked over the 4th class road from time to time for years, and knew pretty well the stat of most of the lines. One was hanging low enough that you could go over and grab it... if inclined. Another segment had moss growing all over it, and a tree had fallen on another. It stayed resting on the lines for ~4 years.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.