[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
18 year old restores a surplus mainframe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: z890.jpg (364 KB, 1872x2496) Image search: [Google]
z890.jpg
364 KB, 1872x2496
Awesome video. As a tech guy I found it pretty inspiring.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11376711
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk
>>
>>54607971
fuck off back to hackernews faggot
>>
>as a tech guy
lmao
>>
>>54608038
it means "I'm a stupid faggot who reads TechCrunch and buys Apple products but can't write a single fucking line of code"
>>
So a dude restores a server from fucking 2005 is that right? Bunch of fucking morons.
>>
So he turned on something?
>>
>350,000 USD mainframe
>8gb of ram
>>
>>54608001
fuck off back to your
>hey /t/ what ipad should i get my mom
threads
>>
>>54607971
>>54608905
>>54608975
>falling for the 1970's mainframe meme

no one cares about mainframes anymore
>>
>>54608975
>inb4
>OLD
meh, your pc could do it better, might aswell just scrap it for metal
>>
>>54608905
>>54608975
>>54609021
>>54609026
>but it can't play games or consume shit quality YT media IT'S SHIT!
will /v/ ever leave?
>>
>>54609021
Better not tell IBM that. Their mainframe sales have been pretty good in recent years.
>>
>>54607971
Nobody cares about your gay-ass video.
>>
>mfw paid shills for x product are mad because they cant viral into this topic
>>
And? Is this supposed to be impressive?
>>
"I purchased this and placed them in the only spot they fit using guides and internet forums for all my answers."

The result of paint-by-color generation.
>>
hurr durr im 18 and i want to be a big boy engineer!!!

this kids a fag
>>
>>54610623
>exotic architecture/platform
>special power and infrastructural requirements
>sparse software availability unless you go with GNU/Linux
It's a little more involving than a highschool surplus C2D Optiplex/Nehalem PowerEdge running Arch hidden in the average /hsg/ blogger's closet.

>>54610683
How did you learn your apparently advanced skillset? By osmosis?

And where the fuck do you find wikis and spoonfeeding guides for Z series systems that don't focus on corporate environments? There's barely a hobbyist community for S/390s and S/370s.
>>
>>54607971
Nice, I wish he had found some practical use for it though. But learning for the sake of learning is always admirable.
>>
>tfw 0.24usd/kwh
my ibm server is just collecting dust ;_;
>>
>>>54610683 (You)
>How did you learn your apparently advanced skillset? By osmosis?

By trial and error and reading and genuine interest.
All he did was ask others to answer things for him.

>And where the fuck do you find wikis and spoonfeeding guides for Z series systems that don't focus on corporate environments? There's barely a hobbyist community for S/390s and S/370s.

Did you not watch the video?
>>
>>54610067
It's even irrelevant as a career learning experience, outside of the attention is garnered him.
>>
>>54610623
It's extremely impressive. There is little documentation for what he has done. The process of troubleshooting is the feat here, not what can actually be done with the machine.
>>
>>54610978
>all the banks, retail outlets and other businesses who are still buying and running mainframe hardware are irrelevant because it's not a trendy commodity shitbox running an OS I like
/v/ please go home again
>>
That's all my girlfriend's university.
>>
>>54610962
>By trial and error and reading
From what I'm looking at on the presentation, that's pretty much what he did, it's okay to ask for help with such an unfamiliar system, it's not a fucking Mac, you can't really flail about on a system like this and get usable results, nor expect some 18 year old shithead to be instantly familiar with hardware he's probably never even seen before, let alone used on more than a superficial level.

>and genuine interest.
Acquiring the infrastructure and software to run one of those boxes is far beyond an attention-seeking hipster, considering there's far more accessible and cheaper exotic hardware or emulation one could use to get the same affect.

Some people do shit for fun and want to share it with others who might be interested, there's no reason to be bitter about it.

>Did you not watch the video?
The workstation I'm currently using doesn't have audio, but I've looked at the presentation and most of the threads on here about it.
>>
>>54612730
The only time you would truly need audio was during the Q&A at the end.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.