[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy a chromebook? Are good laptops? What think /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: chromebookhero.jpg (27 KB, 620x485) Image search: [Google]
chromebookhero.jpg
27 KB, 620x485
Should I buy a chromebook? Are good laptops?

What think /g/ of chromebook
>>
Wait till Google I/O. For a secondary computer the Chromebook is good since quick to boot and very little downtime. So surfing the net and shit. I say way till I/O since they may announce this year of android apps running on Chrome so.....
>>
>>54605328
the /g/ chromebook is the Acer C7 series since they get the most support on running actual linux distributions
>>
Nope, none of them come with Windows, just a butchered version of android. Also space is extremely limited, like 16GB I think.
>>
>>54605328
Cuckbooks may seem cheap, but that's because they are complete and utter shit. They're thin clients sold at laptop prices. Even the pixel is shitty compared to a real laptop, but it costs as much as a macbook.
>>
>>54605504
It's 3 years old the pixel.
>>
>>54605328
C720 i3 with crouton = god tier netbook. This thing gets me through a whole day of school no problem.

>That said, it's a horrible screen. Get something else if you can afford spending far more than 300 dollary doos.
>>
File: Chrome-OS-hell-week-header.jpg (71 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Chrome-OS-hell-week-header.jpg
71 KB, 1500x1000
Absolute crap, don't even bother.
>>
>>54605328
They're great for remoting into your desktop
>>
>>54605779
What? It got a refresh last year.
>>
Are they good for light programming? Is there even any good IDE/text editor that runs on ChromeOS?
>>
Fuck off google shill.

PAJEET! poooooo in loo.
>>
>>54608658
>>>/b/
>>
>>54608620
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/caret/fljalecfjciodhpcledpamjachpmelml?hl=en
Does this fit your bill?
>>
>>54608710
>>>india
>>
>>54605328
FUCK YOUR LITTLE KEKBOOKS!
>>
File: 1463449057792.jpg (60 KB, 614x642) Image search: [Google]
1463449057792.jpg
60 KB, 614x642
>>54607532
That model in particular is absolute shit.

Dell and Acer models are okay.
>>
>>54605328
HOLY SHIT! THE MARKETING!!!
>>
File: 1460425669406.jpg (45 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
1460425669406.jpg
45 KB, 500x406
>>54608999
Dem trips
>>
>>54605328
OP most anons commenting have never owned a chromebook.
I currently have a Asus C300 as a portable laptop, mainly because I have my own Desktop at home to use for more personal things
I bought it mainly because I wanted something I could use to write programs anywhere I wanted.
Originally I was going to get a surface pro, because of lightweight and portability, but I decided not to drop 500-1000 fucking dollars because im not made of money.
So i got this instead off of ebay for 120$. (if you plan to get a chromebook look for one with an intel processor not an ARM chip, and one with 4gb of ram)

After a couple months with it, its definitely worth the money, but Chrome OS is utter garbage if you want to do things other than surf the web & watch videos.
What I did to counter it was install a dual-boot of ubuntu using crouton, which allowed me to install minGW and actually compile programs using the command line
(rather than having to use some shitty online one)
>>
File: anotherpic.jpg (117 KB, 1500x1335) Image search: [Google]
anotherpic.jpg
117 KB, 1500x1335
>>54609508
>>54605328
>TL;DR: worth the money, install a lightweight linux distro, get one without a TN panel if you can, and shoot for an intel chip w/ 4gb memory

PROS:
>fantastic battery life (around 13 hours)
>very easy to use
>lightweight as shit, my spiral notebooks weigh more than it
>thin and portable as well
>100gb of cloud space (theres a reason for that..)
>UNIX based OS for easy Linux dual boot or complete repartition
>CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE, and does the same shit as an average laptop

CONS:
>TN panel is the worst thing about it, very shitty, dont plan on watching HD movies
>slightly flimsy because of how thin it is
>LOW STORAGE but theres cloud space and USB sticks for that theres also a m.2 256gb you can install very easily

>not very powerful or fast, although decent nonetheless
>trackpad is OK at best
>depending on model keys can be "mushy" not a problem with the C300 tho

Hope this helps OP!!
>>
>>54609508
>>54609542
Holy fuck pajeet, Do you get paid by the character or by the post?
>>
>>54605328
Get a refurbished laptop on ebay. Cheap and it works better then chromebooks.
>>
>>54609555
Trips revealing the truth yet again
>>
>>54609555
nigger quit bitching about my post length, it was meant for OP not your whiny tits
>>
Have a Dell chromebook 11. Do everything. Find me something I can't do.
>>
>>54605328
get a used thinkpad, way more bang for your buck, i've owned both and my x220 is a million times better than my old thinkpad
>>
Acer C710 owner here. Didn't really like the thing when I first got it. ChrUbuntu was still in its infancy, as were the rest of the DIY configurations. The battery life was better with ChromeOS, so I stuck with that for a while.

When Google starting adding offline support for their apps/extensions is when ChromeOS finally started to make more sense. The version of 710 I got, new for $200, had a 320GB HDD, so local storage was never an issue. My uni account gave me unlimited Google Drive as well.

Hard drive was noisy, so I tossed in a spare SSD, and the boot time is unreal. It's still got an empty RAM slot, but it's not really that necessary to fill. Yes, the screen is crap, and the battery is nowhere near what C720 users report, but I like how quick and easy it is to use.

tl;dr if you're low on cash, need to browse the web, and want to be able to use the Office suite (MS Office Online extensions), get a Chromebook. If you want to gayme, fuck you.
>>
>>54605328
Bricked my Toshiba Chromebook 2 today trying to revert from Arch to Chrome OS, upon researching the issue there is literally nothing that can be done.
Prior to that I would have recommended them, but not anymore.
>>
>>54610944
Weird. Everytime I revert its just a matter of plugging in a recovery USB and hitting Ctrl+D on boot...
>>
>>54611221
Do you boot straight to SeaBIOS? I don't get the Chrome OS boot screen that you can hit Ctrl+D at.
>>
>>54605328
For web browsing Chromebooks are great. Since I used chrome most of the time on my windows laptop, I decided to buy a cheap $150 chromebook so I could have a lightweight laptop with amazing battery life.

>>54605504
Actually the $999 pixel 2015 was a pretty good deal for a high end laptop. It has a 3:2 2560 x 1700 IPS touchscreen display, metal casing, glass trackpad, 11hr battery life, and USB-C. A lot of laptops with these same specs like the macbook pro and dell xps 13 are around the same price. Its just the 32gb ssd was the downside. 128gb SD cards are cheap though.

The just releases $599 HP chromebook 13 with a 3200x1800 IPS display seems like a good deal too.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.