[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are they really worth it /g/? I was thinking about buying one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: ssd.jpg (23 KB, 380x500) Image search: [Google]
ssd.jpg
23 KB, 380x500
Are they really worth it /g/?
I was thinking about buying one for my g[spoiler]nu/linux[/spoiler]

Do they have any other downside besides the lower size compared to my old trusty HDDs?
>>
>>54601790
Nigger you can buy a 240gb SSD for $60 now.
>>
>>54601790
>downsides
People spout the fact that they die much faster than a conventional HDD. This was true a few years ago, but with the advancements in flash storage technology, it wont die before you choose to upgrade it.

Otherwise,I'd highly recommend it. I slapped in a SSD in my old C2D laptop and it felt faster than my current i5 laptop with a HDD.
>>
>>54601790

Data retention when powered off.

Normally not a problem with a desktop or laptop. Just don't use it for cold storage.
>>
Go buy the 240. It's around $60 and it will give you an idea of what to expect. It's a good investment regardless. Don't touch generic shit whatever you do. If you don't like it, erase that shit and sell it to someone else.
>>
No, not yet. Wait until black friday, you'll get a much better deal. Don't be that person that buys a 240GB SSD for $60 now and become butthurt when 480GB SSDs go for around $60 on black friday.
>>
>>54601790
If you buy it for gaymes ,its not worth.
Otherwise its really handy.
>>
>>54602731
What the fuck? Black Friday is over 6 months away. Why should OP wait that long to save MAYBE $20-$25 on something he can enjoy during the summer?
>>
>>54601790
You should have bought one years ago.
It makes the single biggest performance impact you can have (unless you are compiling or rendering videos etc)
>>
I actually have the 256gb Sandisk x400. I've had my new computer for less than a week so I can't say anything about reliability, but it's certainly snappy. I got the 256gb because I plan to get a larger m.2 SSD once they are more affordable (like ~$200 US for at least a 500gb PCIe one that is faster than the SATA bottleneck).

>>54602737
Don't you mean the opposite? SSDs are great for games. If he's getting an SSD for some thinkpad running Linux that he uses just to shitpost on /g/ with, the biggest benefit would be faster boot times and slightly faster load times when starting the web browser to come to /g/.
>>
>>54602887
Correct. CS:GO maps load in a snap for me.
>>
>>54601790
it's perfect for OS
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.