[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John McAfee is back in the game. He's set to become CEO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: John-McAfee-with-Hoodie-BW.jpg (163 KB, 950x632) Image search: [Google]
John-McAfee-with-Hoodie-BW.jpg
163 KB, 950x632
John McAfee is back in the game. He's set to become CEO of MGT and will rebrand it as a cybersecurity company. He already claims to have hacked WhatsApp to show how much of a joke smartphone security currently is.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/15/john-mcafee-claims-to-crack-whatsapp-messages/
>>
Can someone copy text from the page? Doesn't work on mobile
>>
>>54598026

John McAfee is already many things -- entrepreneur, presidential hopeful, alleged criminal. However, you might have to add one more item to that list: the co-discoverer of a potentially major Android security flaw. He and a team in Colorado claim to have found a hole in Google's mobile platform that lets them read encrypted WhatsApp messages (and those from other services, for that matter), rendering its privacy safeguards pointless. McAfee is saying precious little about how the intrusion works, but he supposedly gave Cybersecurity Ventures enough details to suggest that the story might hold up.

LIFARS, which conducted forensics here, believes that the trick didn't involve getting root access to the phone, and that there were hints of both keyboard recording and spyware vulnerabilities. This would target an everyday Android phone, then, not just one that's already compromised.

McAfee says he's sharing the flaw after talking to Google. We've asked Google itself if it can shed more light on the claims and outline its plans for a fix (assuming one is needed). If his team really did find a way around encryption, though, this could represent a serious problem. Simply speaking, you couldn't guarantee that a chat was private unless you knew that everyone was running a safe operating system.

Update: You know what they say about stories sounding too good (or in this case, too interesting) to be true? Yeah, that may well be true. Gizmodo's own sources maintain that McAfee was trying to perpetrate a hoax. Reportedly, he wanted to send reporters phones "pre-cooked" with keylogger malware to convince them that he'd cracked WhatsApp. He supposedly changed his story to focus on an Android vulnerability when reporters weren't sure about their ability to verify the details.

McAfee isn't having Gizmodo's take on things (his response is colorful, to put it mildly) and swears that how the malware reached the phones "is the story."
>>
>>54596811
he's broke
>>
he looks like hes done a lot of coke
>>
File: char_59943.jpg (15 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_59943.jpg
15 KB, 210x240
>>54596811
>>
I can't stand /pol/ any more. There's too much shilling for Gary boring ass Johnson instead of John The™ Absolute© Madman® McAfee.
>>
>>54596811
>Gives reporters phones with preloaded malware
>"hurr durr Hey guys, I totally cracked What's app"
McAfee confirmed for skiddie
>>
>>54596811
>He found an hole in a Facebook product
>through a hole in the Google platform
>totally nothing to do with the fact that both companies are NSA ona holes.
Found your problem anon
>>
Fuck McAffee, I want Kim Dotcom back in the game.
>>
File: 283186-19.jpg (130 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
283186-19.jpg
130 KB, 600x600
>>54601373
>I want Kim Dotcom back in the game.
I wish my post came true.
>>
He's running for president
>>
>>54596811
McAffee is just like those skids in /b/ that hack peoples facebooks because they left it logged in at their school.
>>
>>54596811
but is he touched by the anime goddesses like norton?

I think not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Uv5ZNk0RE
>>
File: McAfee.png (378 KB, 835x540) Image search: [Google]
McAfee.png
378 KB, 835x540
>>54602603
He knows how to truly hack. He is elite.
>>
i met him at defcon last year. he is genuinely insane
>>
Why do people still listen to McAfee? He's clearly gone off the deep end
>>
>>54598070
You forgot to mention cybersecurity legend
>>
>>54596811
Stop snorting bath salts John, also you forgot your "Will hack for food " banner
>>
>>54596811
McAfee is a fucking idiot that tried to school everybody on hardware security despite utterly failing to understand the basic concepts behind asymmetric cryptography

He is a fucking meme and you should kill yourself
>>
>>54600971
this
>>
He's an unwanted remnant of a bygone age.
He is fully irrelevant and a crackpot
>>
>>54603964
what the fuck are bath salts?
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (208 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
208 KB, 1920x1080
>>54596811

Mcafee is a CIA operative who led the FBI-cant-crack-apple

Full fascism edition cult of personality for the Tobey Macguire spiderman neets

Stop posting his face on his board spin doctors
>>
McAfee is an insane drug addicted attention whore.
>>
documentary about the murder allegations and his life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vte2VIGH3Q
>>
His stock is literally 600% up over the past week. It's shooting to the roof due to speculation.
>>
>>54605996
pump and dump?
>>
>>54598205

homemade bath salts in belize which may have prompted him to kill someone
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.