[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chromebook Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: cb550.jpg (2 MB, 1800x1104) Image search: [Google]
cb550.jpg
2 MB, 1800x1104
Chromebooks get a bad wrap because they don't come preinstalled with windows and ignorant people start rambling on about how bad of an idea chromeOS is. Many understand that with coreboot, seaBIOS can be built from source to install any OS you want (doesn't have to be). There's even a linux distro specifically for chromebooks, although mine runs fine on hydrogen/debian. I'm sure the windows guys out there are thinking "why bother?" but really theyre the some of the most cost effective laptops out there.

I picked up a Samsung Series 5 550 chromebook for $80, maxed out the RAM to 8GB (low latency), and installed a 128GB mSATA SSD for about $100 more. Its no macbook air, but it costs 80% less and does everything a developer could ask of a linux laptop for under $200. I manhandle the shit out of it and its held up - but even if it didn't I wouldn't have shit to worry about. The biggest repair would be under $80.

Why no love for chromebooks and freedom /g/?
>>
>>54592812
the one sole reason why I hate chromebooks
>>
>>54592823
valid argument, when I made a windows server vm I had to press ctrl-alt-delete and was stumped for a second cause no delete key.

thankfully virtualbox anticipated that and I just had to click the option in the menu.
>>
File: X62.jpg (1 MB, 1839x1143) Image search: [Google]
X62.jpg
1 MB, 1839x1143
>>54592812
>Chromebooks get a bad wrap
Not everyone can have that matte black, soft-touch rubberized coating. Ahem, I mean wrapping.
>>
>>54592823
But I should also mention the directional keys are much better on the samsung chromebooks. The function keys work too.
>>
File: 1462132813484.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1462132813484.jpg
177 KB, 1280x720
>>54592812
>chromebooks
>freedom
>>
>>54592859
nice scope.
>>
>>54592859
>chinkpad garbage
Enjoy your superfish and chinese botnet.
>>
>>54592934
look closer. That has a hobbyist-made mobo in it with a custom bios.
>>
>>54592892
thanks! Turns out the cheap confocal ones work better than a bunch of more expensive models, even if the camera port is fucking useless.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.