[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's make this external HDD as secure as possible! Pic Related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 0516162116.jpg (865 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
0516162116.jpg
865 KB, 1840x3264
My dad gave me this old external hard drive. It's 2 TB & got that bretty sexy black colour.

Let's see what we can do to make it as secure as possible. I was just thinking it would be kind of a fun project we could all talk about tonight.

> What should we encrypt it with? LUKS, VeraCrypt, or TrueCrypt?

I was leaning towards LUKS because I'm running Linux on this box, but I'm not sure if it's actually more secure to use TrueCrypt. You also can do hidden drives with TrueCrypt, and I'm not sure if you can do that with LUKS (I wouldn't even know how).

> Any other weird security programs I could utilize to make this thing ultra secure?
>>
>>54589206
>Let's see what we can do to make it as secure as possible.
roll your own custom one-time pad, 2TB long
never share it.
>>
Gentoo will make it secure
>>
File: hax.jpg (32 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
hax.jpg
32 KB, 480x480
>>54589222

> roll your own custom one-time pad, 2TB long
never share it

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> Gentoo will make it secure

Elaborate? Right now there's one partition that has the NTFS file system on it. If I encrypt it in LUKS I obviously have to change the filesystem, but I was thinking about just keeping it NTFS and using TrueCrypt. I was just under the impression that LUKS is more secure.
>>
Can I mix encryption methods?

As in, use LUKS to encrypt the drive, but use VeraCrypt to encrypt a folder inside of it? Does that somehow make it less secure?

Also, I partitioned like 40G of Swap Space. Does that make the drive less secure?
>>
Encase it in concrete, never use it.
>>
>>54589206
Stick a piece of Semtex inside rigged to blow up if anyone enters the wrong password.
>>
>>54589206
Break it, it'll be pretty secure, itll be damn near impossible for anyone to get your data if you do it right
>>
Only way to really make it secure is to encrypt with Luks and only upload data to it from a USB that has a hardware write-protection switch enabled.
>>
http://pastebin.com/tUvq8Jzj

you're welcome senpai
>>
Don't plug it in
>>
>>54589206
if you don't know what a one time pad is, you have a lot to learn about encryption
>>
>>54589206
You can use an OTP like the other anon mentioned, but it's highly impractical.
It's absolutely secure in theory but impossible to perform correctly in practice.

>>54589643
>As in, use LUKS to encrypt the drive, but use VeraCrypt to encrypt a folder inside of it? Does that somehow make it less secure?
No, but pointless.
>Also, I partitioned like 40G of Swap Space. Does that make the drive less secure?
No.

Also consider physical security >>54590358
>Stick a piece of Semtex inside rigged to blow up if anyone enters the wrong password.

Learn to correctly use dmcrypt and LUKS, and you'll be able to secure it beyond all practical needs.
If you want to secure it as much as possible just for the sake of it then it'll be something else however.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.