[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, I'm a long time Mint XFCE user looking to distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: manjaro.png (91 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
91 KB, 460x460
Alright /g/, I'm a long time Mint XFCE user looking to distro hop, redpill me on Manjaro.
>>
>>54584784
Its quite a good distro for beginners. I wouldnt bother jumping ship from mint though unless you want to dabble in rolling release models or fuck around with aur
>>
>>54584784
It's shit, just like mint. You will love it
>>
>>54584784
It's just arch with a built in installer and bloat that you don't really need but w/e go ahead and use it.
>>
>>54584784
Been using manjaro for months now, just werks
>>
File: 1421654135993.jpg (10 KB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
1421654135993.jpg
10 KB, 200x267
>>54584784
Christ, I can understand choosing a piece of shit distro on your first go, but twice in a row? Seriously?
>>
>>54585162
What would you recommend? Ubuntu? Fedora?
>>
>>54585162
You smell odd. Is that arch i smell?
>>
>>54585106
You forgot the security delays
>>
>>54585495
Use the unstable repo, autist
>>
why are you spergs so eager to shit on a distro?
let the boy use it if he wants to
>>
>>54585313
It doesn't matter what you name, someone is going to tell you it's the worst ever. Just try them, and make up your own mind. If you want advice, find a better community than this one to ask.
>>
>>54584784
I distro jumped for years before settling on manjaro, which I have been using for about 3 years now on my primary.

Its a nice distro. I love arch a lot, but the maintenance was too time consuming. Manjaro has proved very stable. It does recessive important security updates at an accelerated rate compared to other packages, people do not know what they are talking about.
>>
>>54584784
If you're interested in learning an Arch-based distro, go for manjaro. They have a semi-decent community and the distro doesn't break down due to "muh bleeding-edge" bullshit. I will warn you ahead of time though, that if you look for help with anything manjaro based, don't google "(x) manjaro". Instead, google "(x) arch".

The transition from a Debian-based system will be a little rocky, but if you have any common sense and can use simple logic, you'll be OK.
>>
>>54586252
It doesn't really teach you about Arch, or encourage you to dig beneath the surface. It's pretty much a typical, beginner/hand-holding distro. I'm not bashing it here either. I started using it thinking along those same lines. The thing is, for what it is, I like Manjaro. When I eventually did move on to Arch, and used it for a while, I really hated it.
>>
>>54584784
Don't use Manjaro, unless you want to set back your system clock from time to time. Better use Antergos.
>>
>>54586487

I see no difference using Antergos, other than the multiple choices of pre-configured DE's at installation.
>>
>>54586469
>It doesn't really teach you about Arch, or encourage you to dig beneath the surface.

You are correct there. However if your deciding to switch to a distro like Arch, you should be able to have basic linux knowledge (i.e. nano, .conf files, etc.)
>>
>Red pill me on

Back to /pol/ you go
>>
>>54587073
Are there seriously people who use linux without this knowledge?
>>
Give Antergos a shot bro
>>
>>54588414
Yes. This board is absolutely riddled with them.
>>
>>54588414
Yes, and there's nothing wrong with it
>>
>>54584784
>based on Arch
It's shit.
>>
>>54589399
Jesus fucking christ /g/

>>54590297
How is not knowing how to use the basic functionality of your OS fine?

>>54590416
Care to give some reasons?
>>
>>54586487
antergos with gnome all ze way
>>
Dont ever use a product that stays in infinite Beta
>>
File: 1437715162400s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1437715162400s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>people who use mozilla firefox
>people who don't use chrome in linux

why ignore the best software for the entire platform?
>>
>>54591476
what
>>
>>54584784
>Redpill

Back to where you came from you casual cunt.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.