[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've decided to finally learn Linux and give it a shot.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1403027433741.jpg (320 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1403027433741.jpg
320 KB, 1280x1024
I've decided to finally learn Linux and give it a shot. I plan on duel booting it on my spare HDD. I'm starting to use cryptocurrency again and prefer something more secure than windows. As new user, where would be a good OS to start?
>>
>>54581939
Fedora or ubuntu because justwerks

/thread
>>
>>54582068
This, but get the XFCE spin of Fedora.
>>
Depends on what your intentions are. If you want to learn you want a distro that is not based on anything (debian, gentoo/funtoo, slackware, arch, fedora,...) because the documentation is usually better. If you want it to just werk and be secure ootb I think fedora is the one for you but it doesn't have the amount of packages debian for example offers.
>>
>>54581939
Xubuntu is what I use and I can definitely recommend it, but I guess Ubuntu proper would be the best choice for an absolute beginner (haven't used any of the Unity versions myself though) just because it's supposed to be the most noob-friendly. If you don't like the interface - I encourage you to change shit around, and possibly delve into terminal along the way. Good luck, man
>>
Which is the most """user friendly""". I don't mind and will learn it, I just don't want to be lost in an abyss from the start.
>>
>>54582586
Well yeah, trying any distro for the first time people eventually tend to go through a phase of installing the many desktops/WMs
>>
>>54582681
Ubuntu and Fedora hold your hand pretty tight. They're designed to work as desktop operating systems that can work completely straight after the installation.

Sometimes they can require a little configuration or have annoyances (the latest ubuntu with AMD GPUs for example) but they generally tend to be pretty easy to set up.

Also if you're new: don't get hung up on what desktop is installed by default. You can install, remove and reinstall desktops as needed. People love their flamewars about the flaws in gnome/KDE/xfce/unity/lxde/i3/whatever, but they are all functional and usable. In the end it's just a matter of opinion and personal preference.
>>
>>54582972
Thanks, you've all been a ton of help. Will 10gb be enough to play around dual booting?
>>
>>54582992
>>54582992
you need 6.1 gb to install ubuntu 15.xx
so i think you should be fine
>>
>>54582992
It will be enough if you don't install all desktop environments at once but for really testing I think 20gb would be better.
>>
>>54581939
Most people will say fedora and Ubuntu, those are good. But if you want something a little more fully featured and similar to Windows, give openSUSE a try
>>
>>54583292
can you explain what you mean by "fully featured"?
>>
>>54583348
When you go to upload an image in 4chan do you want to thumbnails of your images so that you can see what you're doing? That's a feature. OpenSUSE uses KDE Plasma 5, which has more features
>>
>>54583393
>>54583393
I suppose I do but I'd be using windows for daily stuff. I don't see why I'd use linux for casual 4chan browsing. It would be nice to have but I don't know if that makes it preferable to the others.

Do yo have another example?
>>
>>54583393
Not him but I was gonna agree until you posted this bullshit. The reason why you could call opensuse full featured is YAST.
>>
>>54583467
GNU/Linux is far superior for 4chan browsing because open with mpv+always on top and bash aliasrs for wget scripts to download threads and stuff.
>>
Can someone give me a rundown between Fedora and ubuntu?
>>
File: 1461353599185.jpg (519 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461353599185.jpg
519 KB, 1920x1080
>>54583579
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.