[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey guys its nvidia sales rep again, and i've got GREAT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_0292.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0292.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
hey guys its nvidia sales rep again, and i've got GREAT news for you! but before i say anything - RAMLETS GET OUT REEEEEE WHEN WILL YOU LEARAN.

you can boot windows 7 straight from ram! wow its fast as shit! hot dog!

here's a guide, but i'll summarize.

http://tech.outcult.com/tutorials/winram/01/

so wipe everything clean, install windows 7. i suggest windows 7 Embedded. it can be pretty small, like half a gig. and then what you do, is create a VHD (virtual hard drive). then you edit up your BOOT_BCD files to allow you to use grub4dos. it runs before windows does and let you select which OS. you install windows 7 to the VHD.then, with FIRAdisk drivers, you load that VHD as a ramdrive. pretty simple actually, you can do it quickly! and when you start up your computer, you have the choice to boot the VHD from disk, or from ram. if you boot from ram, you can't make changes. boot from VHD to install software etcetera. direct your programs to save files, put temp files, that kind of thing, on another drive or partition besides the VHD.

its really, really, really, really fast, guys.

reduces audio latency for recording too.

i did it yesterday, but, with only 64 gigabytes of ram and only 2 processors, my computer is too weak to make full use of it. perhaps someday when i have a quad processor 1024gb ram system i can use it effectivly, and a 20 disk raid 10 SAS array.

i'll be standing by to offer assistance and answer questions.
>>
File: someday.jpg (74 KB, 637x627) Image search: [Google]
someday.jpg
74 KB, 637x627
>>54579546
What you are doing is not tripfagging, you stupid noob.

This is tripfagging.
>>
>>54579582
Tripfag thread?
Tripfag thread.
>>
>>54579582
I'm also a newfag, so I don't actually know how to use a tripcode.
>>
File: IMG_0293.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0293.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>54579582

btw, the part that i got confused on was editing the menu.lst file. don't hesitate to askf for helt.

>>54579623

lets get back on topic. booting windows 7 from RAM.
>>
>>54579546
Broccolli!!! Yum!
>>
>>54579723

not as yummy as ROM tier operating system operation!
>>
>>54579754
Nah man. Brocolli + chicken breast + brown rice and chilli sauce. Win!!

Or just eat the brocolli raw. Thats nice to. Great stuff. Its like a super food.
>>
>>54579546
Does this work with versions of Windows > NT6.x?
>>
this seems retarded

what if you lose power or it crashes
>>
>>54579805

super food to eat while enjoying your super computer speeds!
>>
>>54579835
If you eat enough brocolli you wont need a computer! You'll become a machine!
>>
>>54579828

one of the advantages here is stability. because the image is booted from RAM, no changes can be made while using it. you boot from disk to install a program or alter settings. you save files and place temp files elsewhere. even if you got a virus or something, you'd just turn off the computer and it'd be gone. and with ECC ram, you have much higher reliability than any disk drive.

other then that it's the same, just faster. this is actually how most industrial computers work.

>>54579825

yes. yes it does my friend. also windows server 2008. the proof of concept implies its possible with any windows, technically. i know one guy who did it with windows 10 enterprise. (only pro, ultimate, and enterprise allow VHDs).
>>
>>54579872

:3
>>
>>54579901
Won't 3D Xpoint make this somewhat obsolete? There are models that will be available as a DIMM.
>>
>>54579951

you'll have to elaborate there. i'm curious.
>>
>>54579967
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_XPoint
>>
>>54579546
why would i want to boot my OS off ram

you're still going to store personal files on a HDD
>>
File: No-buenos-ramlet.png (27 KB, 727x532) Image search: [Google]
No-buenos-ramlet.png
27 KB, 727x532
>>54579546
Nuke this thread, kill all tripfags.
>>
>>54580001

its faster, and more stable/resilient

when i say fast, i mean, no less then 6-12 times faster than SSD.
>>
Does this work with AMD?
>>
>>54580030
Also, how do I change PC name?
>>
>>54580054

no difference. it works with windows 2008 server, windows 7 enterprise/ultimate/pro, and windows nt 6.x
>>
test
>>
Brocolli!
>>
>>54579546
Your computer still sucks. Get your shit together, it looks like you live in a flophouse.
>>
File: IMG_0290.jpg (3 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0290.jpg
3 MB, 3000x4000
>>54580240

shut up and get on topic faggot

we're here to install windows 7 to ram.
>>
>>54580051
>its faster, and more stable/resilient

there was an article on how much faster a ssd was on paper compared to user perceived speed

the tldr of it was something along the times of even if SSDs get faster with each revision, the perceived benefit to the end user is just 2ms shaved off at a large cost

besides, for it to be truly stable you'd need to pair it with a UPS

it's fun and i've actually tried this before but practical usage wise its pointless (at least for my needs)
>>
>>54580432

yyyyes, i mean, it's not going to change your life. but, i did notice it was considerably faster. i could tell. if i had 512/1024gb ram i'd definitely use 256/512gb of it as the basic system disk, if i also had quad processors or an sas array that could load it fast enough.

it halved my audio latency, i'll say that was my biggest benefit.
>>
>>54579582
guys pls
>>
>>54579668
Where did you get the keycaps from?
>>
>>54580608

its a das keyboard ultimate S. they just come blank.
>>
NVidia sales rep, cant afford an actual computer case, so he build inside shit. Get it together buddy.
>>
>>54581768

the mahogany there cost more than your case.

have fun with your shitty generic 'build' that has no relevance to your life and will wind up in a garbage dump. i bet it has about as much character as you, you mass produced chinkshit consumer nigger idiot.
>>
>>54581822

>memehogany

look if you can waste that much time "building" a case instead of buying a cheap one your time must be worthless. You use speakers as a monitor stand and your place looks like a drug den. Maybe you should clean up your place instead of tripfagging on 4chan.
>>
>>54581877
>>he spends his leisure time playing video games rather than woodworking

beta-tier.

maybe you should get on my level before you think you can talk up to it kek
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.