[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it when using a VPN to bittorrent, even with a torrent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 2834480.attach.jpg (21 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
2834480.attach.jpg
21 KB, 370x370
Why is it when using a VPN to bittorrent, even with a torrent I know SHOULD have at least dozens of peers to connect to, there are always either 1 or 0 peers all day long or maybe 2-3 if it's doing really well, when normally there would be like 35 and the torrent would be done in minutes?
>>
>>54579467
did you open your ports?
>>
>>54580716
Honestly I'm a bit tech-illiterate and not sure about the ports thing. I wondered if that had something to do with it, but everything I've read has so much jargon it seems they expect you to already know everything about them while they're trying to tell you how to do anything with them.
>>
>>54580952
im not very tecchy either, but its very possible to google that knowledge if youre patient. basically you need your VPN service to have the option to open a port for you, it's a 4 digit number that you then input in your torrenting software. it helps people connecting with you and may or may not be the solution to all your problems. you might have to open that port on your router too. give it a try, it might solve your shit
>>
>>54580991
Welp, finally found the answer:

https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/562/166/my-torrents-wont-work

https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/342/166/your-p2p-download-rates-are-slow

Cyberghost is just a shitty VPN for torrenting.
>>
>>54581236
oh, your vpn is free, then no wonder. I recently got sued for piracy and am now preparing for a VPN, im thinking of going for PIA after some research
>>
>>54580952
>login to your router, find the ip and stuff usually on your ISP's
>go to ports section
>make a custom rule with your VPN and torrent clients' port ranges
>enable them
>>
>>54581278
You got actually sued?? Not warned, but sued? What the fuck would be the point? The cost of whatever you downloaded, even if piracy were theft (it's not - it's not even piracy) the value of the goods would amount to what, maybe scores of dollars?? Greedy fucking corporations. This is exactly why they need razed to the ground.
>>
>>54581279
am i right in assuming that to do port forwarding its absolutely necessary to open the ports on my router too? what port range would be best to open?
>>
>>54581278
Yeah I'm not paying money for a VPN. What the hell's the point?

>>54581279
>>54581319
I actually just read why it's not a good idea to open ports with a VPN so nope. Just need to find a better VPN.
>>
>>54581315
im german. i got a mail from a lawyer firm that has been contracted by a movie studio. they tracked my IP to my address and ISP, and got a court order to have me pay for copyright infringement. they wanted 790€ or something for the hateful eight. i paid another lawyer 500€ to defend me, the plan is to reduce the cost to 0 in a span of three years. im getting the mail traffic via mail by the lawyer i contracted. so thats why im going VPN

>>54581341
5€ for safe torrenting is well worth the cost. also, geolocation swapping
>>
>>54581378
Holy shit, why didn't you just find the best pro-bono lawyer you could and drag their balls through legal hell and make a public spectacle? That's what I would have done. I'd have people egging the office of that piece of shit company day and night until they imploded. In what fucking universe is ANY movie worth fucking 790 fucking Euros? What'd you do, steal the original print? This is blatant fucking extortion and should be illegal.

>Hurr u da bad guy cuz you stole sumfin when u dint actually steal it
>Now gibs me 1,000 fucking dollars
These people should be fucking shot. I thought America was a shithole. God damn, Germany. What the fuck is wrong with your country?

>5€ for safe torrenting is well worth the cost. also, geolocation swapping
Well sure, if you're getting sued to hell for breathing. Still, why the hell didn't you fight like hell?
>>
>>54581461
the lawyer firm i contracted has about 50.000 similar cases they're defending. welcome to germany
>>
>>54581485
Yes, and why hasn't a movement started with literal fucking riots to get this shit put to a stop. There's no way you'd get fined that much if you just went to fucking WalMart and stole the goddamned DVD. What the fuck.
>>
>>54581507
because piracy bad. we even had fun commercials
https://wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=GurmoG_518k
the ending says
>hard but fair
>pirates will get punished with up to 5 years of imprisonment

the boy asks "mom when will dad come back",
she says "4 more songs"
>>
>>54581555
Fucking disgusting. The rich are literally subhuman.

>But we have to be tough or they won't do what we want
I guess that's why we need to bring back the guillotine for the rich. They're getting far too uppity again.
>>
>>54581740
Soap Box
Ballot Box
Jury Box
Bullet Box

Make sure you've tried the earlier options before you step to the next one!
>>
>>54581979
Welp, we're already past the ballot box because the rich already control all top politicians in every country and they've basically made themselves immune to prosecution so the jury box is quickly exhausting itself. I see the guillotine making a comeback in the near future.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.