[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watching Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Ubuntu GNOME/Lubuntu 16.04 LTS r
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: ubuntu-logo.png (219 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo.png
219 KB, 1600x1600
>watching Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Ubuntu GNOME/Lubuntu 16.04 LTS reviews
>constantly something crashing
>small crashes here and there
>report this report this too pls
>LTS
>supposedly stable
>people supposedly should use it for 5 years

Why don't people just use Fedora for fucks sake, what the hell, how can they tolerate that kind of shit? 6 minute review videos and constant crash and error messages. Why the fuck are people using Ubuntu for anything? It looks physically painful. I'd rather install Gentoo in my anus than deal with any of those pieces of shit every day. How can the quality be so incredibly poor? Sad!

example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXfAvX0I7n0
>>
>>54577486
This usually happens in any ganoo linus fresh install. It usually fixes with reinstalling software.
>>
>>54577507
What the fuck do you even mean?
>>
>>54577576
Do a minimal install and install what you need yourself
>>
>>54577486
That's how it usually is with first release of *buntu LTS. You are supposed to wait for 16.04.1 or just deal with it
>Thinking Fedora is any different
Cute. Don't get me wrong, Fedora is ok, but it's literally the same shit and suffers from the same faults as every distro with forced release schedule. Use Arch or any rolling release distro if you don't like it.
>>
Canonical really messed this up in order to get it out in time.

Keeping my main server at 14.04 for a bit, secondary server and laptop moved up onto 16.04 though, fine with a little breakage on those two machines.
>>
Is 16.04 still bloated? I believe a windows install is less bloated than an ubuntu install.
>>
>>54578941
well yeah it comes with libreoffice and scanning/printing software, a photo manager and a usable browser by default so its bloated compared to stock windows.
>>
>>54579376
But that's what I expect from a freshly installed system. I expect nothing I didn't want there. I want a fresh install to be clean, fast, and fully working. I'll install my own bloat later, thank you very much.

That's what I hate about W10. There's a bunch of useless programs (I refuse to call them apps on a desktop) out of the box like Skype and weather and social bullshit.
>>
>>54579956
Install arch then it was literally made for you
>>
>>54577486
>Why don't people just use Fedora for fucks sake
Because it's 3 orders of magnitude buggier, on top of having fuckall packages available and no utility like jockey.

>I'd rather install Gentoo
Gentoo is actually the most stable distro out there by far. Fucking nothing ever crashes, it's simply magical.
>>
I installed 16.04 on my desktop and it worked fine, just had quite a few errors. The last straw for me was when Second Life crashed every time I tried to steam stream a game.

Might give it another go when 16.04.1 drops
>>
>>54580445
Is gentoo any more complicated than arch
>>
>>54580569
>Second Life
Do people still play this?
>>
>>54580636
Simpler to perform updates since it preserves your config and tells you to go update them (it describes the change and lets you select which version you want, or manually edit before the merge). It also keeps oldstable, stable, unstable and bleeding-edge versions of packages in the repos so you don't have to backup literally everything in case a new version that breaks everything reaches your distro's repos. A world update never breaks the system, either.

Initial installation is more manual, but since you have the manual and perform the install from any livecd you want (I use ubuntu's so I can use the driver-jockey to ensure internet access on virtually any device), it's easier to work with in my opinion.

Additionally, you have to install the kernel and update grub configs manually when updating kernel versions (usually run genkernel and grub2-mkconfig, but I prefer to manually configure a new kernel so I wrote my own script).
>>
>>54580693
How hard is the kernal/grub configuration you described? Is there really no way to do that automatically?
>>
Every new OS is like this at launch, be OSX or Windows 10.
Deal with it, no OS is rock solid at launch.
>>
>>54580569
>second life
why.exe

>>54579956
libreoffice and scanning and printing software isn't that bad for typical OS crapware, but fair enough.

why not just do a net install though?
>>
Just werked for me desu senpai
>>
>>54577486
Fedrora for desktop is bad.
Gnome3 is designed for idiots.
>>
even arch does bleeding edge better than memebuntu
>>
>>54580799
There is a way to do it automatically. Just do "genkernel all" and grub2-mkconfig
>>
Installed Xubuntu 16.04 on my laptop, only problem so far is the cursor disappearing after unlocking the screen.
>>
>>54581686
>even
Arch's whole shtick is bleeding edge, retard.
>>
>>54577486
>Using software when it first comes out
>Not using earlier versions of it
But seriously, that's what you should do. Any OS I have used was buggy on it's initial release.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.