[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So a client of mine has me developing a lead generation app,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1444523532394.png (441 KB, 300x900) Image search: [Google]
1444523532394.png
441 KB, 300x900
So a client of mine has me developing a lead generation app, and I developed an API to allow a subsidiary to send us edit information for records we've given them. Now, it works fine in tests, however when we get 1-2~ edits a second, after about thirty successes the server starts dropping the requests and we receive no response at all. I just finished talking to the client's hosting service, and they told me the following:

>It is not their responsibility to ensure anything is being served
>It must be the file content causing the problem (but since the requests are just dropped and we get no response, I don't see how that can be the issue)
>I should upgrade the client's resource level or move him to a VPS (even though we're well within resource constraints, and that was verified in the same call)

What the fuck do I do, /g/? I've asked him to move hosting services before and he hated the idea, but he also wants this service running smoothly. Also how is it not the hosting services responsibility to ensure that the data we store with them is being served? Holy shit I'm mad.
>>
Sounds like a problem with your code if it can't handle 2 edits a second.
>>
File: 1413333325722.gif (2 MB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
1413333325722.gif
2 MB, 275x275
>>
>>54576708
Would it be? I figured I'd get some sort of response if it was a code related problem, but nothing, the server just stops responding.
>>
>>54576757
Stops responding in what way? In that the server program stops running, or the server itself drops requests? i.e if you ping the IP it doesnt pick it up
>>
>>54576858
Server drops the request entirely. The script itself is fine, I ran the same load test internally and got responses/successes every time.
>>
>>54576858
Here's a python script I used for one of the tests:
import urllib2
import json
from httplib import BadStatusLine

def dorequest(number):
fails = 0;
success = 0;
failcode = 0;
for i in range(number):
data = '{"fake_json_goes_here"}'

req = urllib2.Request('http://oursite.com.au/API/')
req.add_header('Content-Type', 'application/json')
try:
response = urllib2.urlopen(req)
#html = response.read()
#parsed = json.loads(html);
#print parsed['success'];
httpcode = response.getcode();
print httpcode
if(httpcode == 200):
success += 1;
else:
failcode += 1;
except BadStatusLine:
fails += 1;

print success
print fails
print failcode

dorequest(200);

The resulting output:

200 (etc etc etc)
>>
>>54576873

maybe somebody is doing load shaping in the internet between client and server?

intelligently drop a few packets here and there and everything goes to shit.

Are you opening and closing ports per request?

Are you sure the request is even making it to the server? Is a timeout cleaning everything up too soon?

can you log with time-stamps the received requests and responses to see if latency explodes for no reason.

I don't do web development; mostly super low level stuff and deep embedded.
>>
>>54576643
look at your webserver logs. see if the dropped requests reached the webserver
Are you behind cloudflare or some sort of cache?
>>
>>54576960
This. Could be a firewall setting to drop packets from an IP if it sends more packets per x time than y limit.
>>
>>54576945
We record all requests to the API, the request never reaches the server when I start getting the timeouts.

>>54576960

Nope, no cloudflare.

So is the host at fault, do you think? Like I said, I've checked our resource allocations and everything is within the supposed limits.
>>
>>54576982
Oh shiiiit, I will check that.
>>
>>54576991
>We record all requests to the API, the request never reaches the server when I start getting the timeouts.

but at what level are the requests disappearing? Can you stick wireshark on the client or server(preferred) and see the exact point that things stop working?
>>
>>54577035
The first thing the script does it grab the contents of the POST, check if it's valid JSON, check if the JSON contains all the keys we need, and stores it along with an IP and a timestamp. The requests just straight up stop being received at the entry point.
>>
>>54577077
Pls halp.
>>
>>54576991
How do you get it working again? Do you restart something your side or their side? That would be the biggest indicator of where the problem lies.
>>
>>54576925
rewrite it in C
>>
>>54577197

I'm just saying you need to look at this at the layers below your high level view.

Like for example (I don't do python) it looks like your code is opening and closing a tcp port per transaction. That is a perfect place for a man in the middle to rate-limit you by dropping TCP packets thinking your are doing a DOS attack.

But hell, I have no idea of how the python http library is implemented. How is each connection cleaned up on the client? (not that that really matters if you have tested the client and server on the same nw and it works fine).

That's what a tool like wireshark is going to tell you; at exactly what point in the protocol/handshaking are things going south.

to me though that loop containing urlopen looks suspicious; IF it is actually opening and closing a tcp port per call. But, I don't deal with web protocols, and I know they don't really care very much about overhead in that world.

If you want performance you want to open and close a tcp port once per big transaction and send as much data at a time in one direction as possible. Do as little handshaking as possible. in the 'c' you would want to use as large buffers as you can, and write as many bytes as you can per call.

But this web stuff is layers upon layers of 'stuff' hidden behind libraries - and then python on top of that.

Good luck good sir.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.