[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Living with just internet, not cable tv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6
File: Streaming-devices-2.png (190 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
Streaming-devices-2.png
190 KB, 590x350
Are there people out there living with just internet as a alternative to tv?

I was thinking about doing that in the future since there nothing to watch anymore and I looked it up and it doesn't seem like i'm the only one who would do it, but i want to hear from real people.
>>
>>54573415
Yup, I have an amazon fire stick. It's the only thing I use for TV. It's fine
>>
>>54573415

lol

dadcore
>>
>>54573415
Yes, I'm downloading every episode of every TV show I watch
>>
File: 1459452835484.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459452835484.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>54573415
Yes.
>>
File: 1453433212117.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1453433212117.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
Haven't had cable since 2005. Internet only since.
>>
>>54573415
i do. I'll never go back. In the internet i can watch everything i want, when i want.

I have my PC connected to my tv. Also my consoles.
>>
>>54574717
PS: to control the PC, i use GMOTE. it's a pretty fucking rad app that let you use your phone like a touchpad with scroll AND keyboard. Maximun comfy.

Gmote is avaible for windows and linux. In Linux you hace to compile it if your distro does not have it in their repos.
>>
what fucking rock have you been living under OP

that or grandad escaped the geriatric ward again

it's called "Cablecutting" and it's the reason why ISPs (AKA: Conflict-of-interest-riddled Cable Providers) are instituting data caps
>>
I'm actually pretty surprised any technologically literate people use cable at all nowadays. Seems like a total waste.
>>
>>54574764
>his country has data caps
>meanwhile a third world shithole like chile has unlimited access to internet with the best speed in all south america.
>>
File: 1463278852001.png (797 KB, 600x644) Image search: [Google]
1463278852001.png
797 KB, 600x644
>>54573415
>Are there people out there living with just internet as a alternative to tv?

Are there people out there living with TV still?
>>
>>54574831
more like a 3rd world country like Chile has less corruption in government than a "first" world country like the united states
>>
>>54573415
got hulu+, Netflix and HD antenna's.

haven't looked back since 3 years ago.

fk cable and the bullshit channels you pay for that you're never even going to watch.

also torrent movies and shows and steam to TV.
>>
>>54574894
god hear you, anon.
We are infected with corruption ;_;. This country is going to the shitter.
>>
>>54574954
do you DVR your OTA antennas?
>>
Yeah, I keep having to tell my ISP to fuck off and quit trying to push some new "special combined package". I did have a pretty funny conversation when I was getting everything set up because ht woman just assumed I'd be getting cable and when I told her no, she mentioned how I could still get some certain small number of channels, to which I informed her that I don't own a television. "But... but then how do you watch your shows??"

She just couldn't comprehend that I don't watch TV. I mean, fuck, I waste enough time on 4chan as it is, I don't need to COMPLETELY turn off my brain with television. If I did want to watch something there's youtube, streaming, or torrenting.
>>
>>54573415
you mean to say you've been paying to watch ads in low resolution?
>>
Anyone got info on those hacked fire sticks
>>
>>54573415
>real people
you're in teh wrong place faggot.
nothing but autismos defending shit companies to the death, and pajeets shilling for .1 shekels spamming "install wangblows10, nvidia>amd intel>amd" with no real facts to their claims
>>
>>54573415

I'm sure there are tons. Whatever you want to watch, you can just download off internet. Cable tv is for old foggys who don't know how to use internet.
>>
>>54574571
Please stop posting webums I cannot see them on my iPad. Thanks.
>>
>>54573415
I haven't owned a TV for 15 years or so
>>
>>54573415
Netflix is basically enough for anyone.

There's many other similar services, and it would still be way cheaper to subscribe to 2-3 of them than pay for cable, with the benefit of literally everything being on-demand and no commercials.
>>
>>54574983
>I don't need to COMPLETELY turn off my brain with television
This.

It always frustrated me back when I was growing up, my mother would get upset that I spent so much time playing video games, when the whole family was just watching TV anyway.

It was impossible to explain that I'm doing a similar activity that actually stimulates my creativity and problem-solving skills.

I had to mow many lawns in my shitty neighborhood to pay for my Gamecube.
>>
>>54577203
get something that works
>>
Yes. Almost anything considered worth watching is available on the internet.
>>
>>54573415
The only people who don't want to do this are people ages 40+
>>
>>54577263
No, stop posting things I can't watch.
>>
Are you joking? I haven't had cable in 11 years.
>>
I wanted to cut the cable. But then i realized the movie channel subscriptions that I want cost just as much as having cable.
>>
Wish my country had DVB-T2 for free OTA HD broadcasts like the UK.

Eh, I download mostly anything anyway, basically only watch live TV for World Cup and Eurovision.
>>
>>54578669
>like the UK
designated television licenses
>>
>>54578711
Only idiots pay that, you don't have to if you don't want to.

Don't get me wrong the UK is a complete shithole of a country but the TV license isn't really an issue.
>>
File: 1454652775760.webm (377 KB, 245x280) Image search: [Google]
1454652775760.webm
377 KB, 245x280
>>54577340
:^)
>>
>>54573415
Are there people out there living with tv? I haven't used a TV as anything other than a monitor for years and years.
>>
Dish I had in 2007 went out of alignment due to a massive ice storm, haven't given a shit about it since then. Cancelled the TV part of my service. Internet is run underground and always worked. There's maybe three shows on all of TV I give a flying fuck about.
>>
>>54573415
Doing this since 2007. Don't even miss tv.
>>
>>54578747
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54573415
yup, got an amazon fire stick which can serve me amazon prime, youtube, iplayer and i will put kodi on it too.

why would i pay £140 for a tv licence if i can watch it all for free at my leasure rather than being a tv schedule slave?
>>
>>54577203
>kek
spending that much money on something that can't even play webms
>>
Between streaming and torrents there's really no need for a cable subscription.
>>
>>54577203
Found the cuck
>>
>>54577203
You can open them with wechat
>>
It's call being a college student. Almost all of them uses netflix or just torrent shit. No one actually buys cable anymore unless you are over the age of 35 and have a house with a 40" TV
>>
/g/: couchpotato + kodi
normies: netflix, amazon prime, youtube, roku
>>
>>54581756
>It's call being a college student. Almost all of them uses netflix or just torrent shit. No one actually buys cable anymore unless you are over the age of 35 and have a house with a 40" TV
>implying college kids don't have cheap 40" TVs and torrent shit
>implying 40" isn't tiny
grandpa pls
>>
>>54573415
I only pay for internet but still get like 80+ channels straight from the wall.

I don't know if it is because I live in an apartment or what. I have time warner.
>>
>>54574831
http://www.adnradio.cl/noticias/economia/movistar-anuncia-limite-de-navegacion-en-internet-hogar-y-usuarios-reaccionan-indignados/20151103/nota/2988968.aspx

;^)
>>
>>54574571
Eurgh, that lazy stabilizing. Obviously done on auto so it uses the girls rather than the background as the tracking points.
>>
need for sports like ufc motogp f1 football, so I still need a cable.
>>
I mooch TV off of friends who pay for it in order to catch a few series that we call keep up with together. Otherwise the stuff I watch is available as streaming internet video. Plus I pick up a good number of over-the-air channels with a shitty dipole antenna I made from bent wires.
>>
>>54574957
atleast you have a coast unlike Bolivia.
>>
>>54573415

50% of good TV content is on Netflix, Hulu, and/or Amazon
100% is on torrents.

Even if you bought them all, plus a slick VPN for your kodi, you'd be out far less $/year than a cable subscription. And you don't have to worry about being "on time" to watch something, unable to pause, etc.
>>
I only have 3 bills.

$20 cellphone
$40 electricity
$35 internet

feels fucking good to not pay those cable jews. Exodus on Kodi is what you want, buy a $50-70 android TV box and stream everything for fucking free no commercials.
>>
>>54573415
Yes, I'm french and "Internet" includes TV and phone.
>>
>>54583818
No home or car?
>>
>>54583876
or water or heat or garbage collection
>>
>>54583876
Rent is $675. I was referring more to utility bills and services, not monthly living costs.

I have a car but I don't consider it a bill because I don't pay anything monthly for it.
>>
>>54583894
water is "free" with rent

heat is electric

garbage collection is "free" with rent
>>
>>54574975

I'm not him, but I do using a combination of media center/ nextpvr / kodi>>54575491
>>
>>54573415
I watch live TV probably less than once a month.

Like you said, there is nothing on.
I even stream the news rather than wait around for it to broadcast.
>>
>>54583911
It's uninsured? You don't compute that alongside regular maintenance and registration/fees/etc. into an effective monthly cost?
>>
>>54583959
It's insured, but I pay the insurance outright yearly. It's $1440/yr.

Maintenance isn't computed as a monthly cost but taken out of a reserve. If I'm hard on the car it'll wear more and if I'm light on the car it'll wear less, it just depends on what I want to do.
>>
>>54583997
It's (perhaps unintentionally) dishonest to ignore bills which simply come at irregular or quarterly/yearly intervals.

You're paying lots of Jews that you aren't acknowledging, Himmler.
>>
Anyone have anything negative to say about Plex? Runs on my PS4 in the living room just fine and there's even an app for my housemate's dumb 'smart' Samshit tv that sits in the kitchen.
>>
>>54584024
oy vey
>>
>>54573415
Cable is for old people and idiots.
>>
>>54583678
Sports for tards who enjoy social life. GTFO senpai
>>
>>54583618
ok
>>
I haven't had cable for six years. I pirate everything and watch it through a media player connected to my TV. When I build a new PC I'll probably take the old one and use it as a HTPC, but regardless I'll never go back to cable because it's worthless. I've never been more glad to be a stereotypical nerd who hates watching sports because that's the only reason I could see having to spend money to watch shit.
>>
>>54579132
>not using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
I live in the UK so we get a reasonable amount of channels for free OTA.

For everything else, I have Netflix and usenet for TV shows and movies

Netflix for everything else
>>
>>54584480
Is school out already? Enjoy your summer vacation
>>
>>54573415
>needing normie forms of entertainment
>not gaining enjoyment from coding your own operating system
>not gaining enjoyment from coding in assembly
>>>/v/
Enjoy your botnet M$ cuck
>>
>>54573415
Don't even bother with TV anymore. Just play vidya and watch the occasional youtube or anime.
>>
>>54584878
>I live in the UK so we get a reasonable amount of channels for free OTA.

Don't you have to pay for a TV license?
>>
>>54573415
yes
there's a fuckton of people like this
people also have OTA tv antenna and a digital to analog converter (really just a set top box) to record shows without having to pay a fee
>>
>>54574831
what is chile like?
>>
>>54585141
>HE HAS TO GET A LICENSE TO WATCH TV
I KNOW THE USA IS FUCKED, BUT NOT THIS FUCKED HAHA
>>
Chromecast + Netflix + HBO NOW

best combination unless you are a poor fag and need shitty free alternative
>>
I'm an oldfag and cut the cord years ago. Triple play was a good deal - arguably - in 2006, compared to twisted pair phone.

I have a roku, netflix and hulu. I've tried Amazon's TV stick also. Nice, particularly if you have a multi-lingual household.

Probably could live without hulu, but the cost is so trivial, who cares.

Phone has evolved several times, from magic jack to Asterisk, SIP and Google Voice. My job also provides a SIP/SCCP account, so I have all the telephony I need at my home office.
>>
>>54585452
I switched to Google Fi and pay $20 a month
>>
>>54573415
I don't need TV or phone. Just an internet connection.
>>
>>54581756
M8 i'm a college student with a 40'' TV. They're not expensive, I got mine for $150.
>>
>>54585588
>>54581756
Yeah I got my 42" TV for $150 2 and a half years ago brand new at target
>>
I'm mooching off of a friend's HBO GO, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. I want for little, and I just torrent it if I do.
>>
>>54573415
I did until very recently. The only reason I got satellite was to watch a few things when they first air.
>>
>>54577203
>Please stop posting webms because I use an inferior piece of technology. Thanks.
Kek
>>
>>54579132
>>
>>54581756
>a 40" TV
I have one for my bedroom. The one in my living room is 55" and I have a projector that supports up to 100". Under 35 btw.
>>
Yeah but I got slapped with a copyright cease and desist for seeding game of thrones this morning. So I might get cable just for HBO.

Or, how do I vpn and torrent?
>>
Yes, I haven't had cable since 2012.
just use netflix, hulu, hbonow, amazon prime, and Project free tv for obscure shit you can't find on the previously listed streaming services.

here is an alright website about it, That is if this post is actually serious.
http://www.cutcabletoday.com/
>>
>>54573415
I have a Roku 3 that I use to watch Netflix and Youtube. Between that, torrenting specific TV shows, and nreboot.com I'll never need TV in the near future.

I have an antenna too for basic cable, but it's awful and I never use it.
>>
>>54585945
get HBO now you dummy. not cable.
>>
TV cable will be assimilated into the internet, actually, it IS already on the internet

Netflix, Hulu, that Sony service no one remembers

you can know watch what you want whenever you want
>>
>>54585945
>Or, how do I vpn and torrent?
airvpn.org
>>
I wasn't aware anyone under 25 paid for cable anymore
>>
Best Android Streaming box? I'm cutting cable next month and I would like to know what's the best.
>>
>>54573415
Do it, it's easy as fuck. You can stream most things, and if you can't, piracy is easy
>>
I like Sky TV, just clicking 'record series' on everything a little interesting. Netflix has a pretty shit library after you watch a few good series. BBC is the same but free. 4oD has adverts. You can always torrent more than enough.

If I watched TV I'd just use it all. Apart from Netflix, just use that until the good stuff is gone.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.