[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux vs GNU/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11
File: L_G.jpg (23 KB, 400x255) Image search: [Google]
L_G.jpg
23 KB, 400x255
Which term do you prefer to use?
Why?
>>
File: 1462769677686.jpg (276 KB, 608x590) Image search: [Google]
1462769677686.jpg
276 KB, 608x590
>>54570850
Linux

Cause im not an autist
>>
>>54570850
Since I am running a Linux version of GNU I call it GNU/Linux
>>
>>54570850
gnu/linux because i respect what stallman has done for users freedom
>>
GNU/Linux because Linus has to be an annoying, trashy mouther and wants it named in his favor rather than compromising like Richard has by calling it GNU+Linux.
>>
File: 1223634.jpg (54 KB, 512x419) Image search: [Google]
1223634.jpg
54 KB, 512x419
>>54572792
>>
>>54570850
GNU/Linux is the correct way but it's super clunky which is why nobody (including me) is using it. But I honestly don't understand how things turned out this way. GNU/Linux has always been the GNU operating system with the Linux kernel. Linux is just one small part of the whole OS, there's more GNU stuff in GNU/Linux distros than Linux. Yet people still decided to call it Linux and leave out the bigger part (GNU) from the name and not the other way around. Why?
>>
>>54572082
>knows what Linux is
>not an autist

pick one
>>
>>54572872
They only call it Linux because Linus is a tacky loudmouth without the multifaceted intellect of Richard. The sub-intelligent are easily suckered into following those they perceive as confident because they seem to think that person is in the know.
>>
the latter for online or when talking with free software minded folks.

the former when putting up a facade for normies.
>>
File: 1462989660870.png (184 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
1462989660870.png
184 KB, 650x700
>>54570850
GNU/Linux
>>
>>54572082
No, but you are a true nincompoop. The majority have now taken to calling it GNU/Linux, as it should be. Do you want to live?
>>
>>54570850
Linux, because I'm discussing operating systems that use the Linux kernel, not just operating systems based on the Linux kernel that come prebundled with shitware
>>
>>54573368
What you're referring to as Chair, is in fact, Legs/Chair, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Legs plus Chair. Chair is not a furniture unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Legs system made useful by the Legs corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full furniture as defined by IKEA.
>>
>Stallfags shitting up the thread
Fuck off autists, isn't it your scheduled gentoo fap session?
>>
Pinguins are cuter than gnus.

Tovald: 1
Athiests: 0
>>
Linux with GNU, X Window System, etc.

Because the kernel is by far the most difficult part. That's why FSF could never make Hurd any good. User-land is babby stuff in comparison to what St. Linus did.
>>
I use Linux in a professional context. I'm afraid that if I start calling it GNU/Linux, they're gonna relay me to simple tasks for being autistic until they find a legally safe way to fire me.
>>
>>54573826
Other way around, retard
>>
>>54573986
>implying the Linux kernel is the legs
If GNU is so great, why don't they use their own kernel? :^)
>>
>>54574021
I'm using Debian with HURD. It's even an install option.
>>
File: 1403812507428.jpg (278 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1403812507428.jpg
278 KB, 900x1200
>>54574048
>HURD
>>
>>54574080
It's come a long way. I even switched to BSD to rid myself of Sinus the Penguin.
>>
>>54574103
I switched to BSD to rid myself of GNU the shitware
>>
GNU/Linux since linus is a sellout. He should be more like his dad.
>>
>>54574048
HURD isnt that project abandoned now? Itd be a buggy unsuported nightmare if its still active.

Its like reactos. Lost in time.
>>
>>54574111
No, you see I have no objections to the kernel (and those greatly contributing to it), but of his constant whining. On the other hand, you have a problem with the coreutils, et cetera---for what, pray tell? (I admit my switch was more interest than anything else, but I also derived great satisfaction in knowing I had removed the Linux kernel.)
>>
>>54574169
>No, you see I have no objections to the kernel (and those greatly contributing to it), but of his constant whining
That's one of the most retarded things I've ever read.
>what's your problem with GNU coreutils
They're inferior.
>>
>>54574166
No (yet anyway), they have gone into different directions according to the published study papers. The current was released six months ago.
>>
>>54574205
I disagree. And I never said I was rational, cocksucker.
>>
>>54574228
>I disagree
Good for you
>I never said I was rational
Retards normally aren't.
>>
GNU/Linux online, when I want to humour the tradition of free software.

Linux in public, when I want to be accurate and not sound autismal.
>>
>>54573941
>kernel
>difficult
bwahahahahahaha, what do you use to compile it, faggot?
>>
>>54574436
>Linux in public
>not sound autismal
pick one
>>
>>54574645
>Stupid doesn't know its stupid.
>>
>>54574249
>Retards normally aren't.
I think you have some problem with yourself. I'm sorry life isn't working out for you. Please, leave me alone now. You're not pleasant or amusing.
>>
>>54574704
>using HURD
>thinking you can look down on anybody
Even Windows users are above you.
>>
>>54574249
You like to throw around the word "retard" often. It's annoying.
>>
Linux/GNU/X
or LInux + gNU + X > LINUX for short
>>
>>54574727
I wasn't looking down or up, fucking weirdo. Also, It's not like a game. Use any OS. I wouldn't claim superiority with any of them.
>>
>>54574436
this to not scare normies
>>
>>54574743
How would you know? You've only seen me use it twice, retard.
>>
>>54574766
Cute.
>>
>>54574698
>told
>animooooooooooo
>>
>>54573434
I work in a data center that only uses Linux, not one fuck in that building ever says GNU/Linux lol
>>
>>54574783
Thanks bby
>>
>>54574785
That's okay. I was only posting in typical 4chan fashion.
>>
>>54572942
>multifaceted intellect
>eats toe jam in public

Pick one
>>
>>54574785
>only uses Linux
doubt they use the kernel only; sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about; let me guess, you're the janitor there?
>>
>>54574807
multifaceted intellect/eater of callouses
>>
>>54574785
Linux is only a kernel.
>>
>>54574785
Linux is a kernel. Must be hard for you to come to terms with this.
>>
>>54574810
The funny thing is, you know that's not what I meant. Only pedantic autists call it GNU/Linux
>>
I`m on Kali right now. Anyone else?
>>
>Linux is only a kernel
Exactly. Linux will always be a kernel. Too bad Linus must spend his time devising analogues to explain his selfish reason for nixing the GNU bit in the title, whereas Richard has allowed for Linux in the title. Richard also explains the reason why Linux does not deserve sole recognition in a way that a true genius does, without constant fall back onto petty examples. RIchard Stallman deserves better than Sinus' jabbing. What an imbecile. I-I know t-the majority agrees with me here.
>>
>>54574948
>>54574960
Linux is only a kernel. Many people have contributed with complex projects, yet Linus will not accept a dual title. This strikes me as some sort of personal complex. It's really disgusting. The supporters will disregard this and chalk it up to, "Oh, he is a really funny and outspoken man. Says it like it is"!

That's ridiculous.
>>
>>54575036
All I asked was anyone else using Kali... But i just call it Linux because its easier and causes less confusion in conversations.
>>
>>54575081
>But i just call it Linux because its easier and causes less confusion in conversations.
I agree with you. I was just kidding.
>>
>>54575036
Linus said himself "i like to pretend im humble"
>>
>>54575150
I was kidding, friend!
>>
>>54574249
Wow. Even by 4chan standards I think you're a dick. You're in an argument. You can't just cross you arms and go "Well you disagree with me so you're dumb."
>>
>>54575189
So he can call me a cocksucker and I should just sit there and take it like the littel bitch you are?
>>
>>54574785
At the data centers I've worked at, everyone just used the distro name
>>
>>54575200
Yes. You were being a cocksucker.
>>
>>54570850
GNU/Linux because freedom is more important than convenience
>>
>>54575220
Nah
>>
>>54573986
>how does the GPL work
>>
>>54575223
If GNU cared that much about freedom they wouldn't have taken 30 years to program an incomplete Kernel.
>>
>>54573941
kernels are only the most difficult part if they are not monolithic.
>>54574147
His dad is indeed pretty awesome for a politician.
>>
>>54575247
Hurd has only been in development for 5 years
>>
>>54575200
You took me serious? I was semi and somewhat. but never your ass. See, where it is it isn't, but where that was, I say you were in the naysayers position if any sort of vote could be polled. See, where it stands now, there are such insinuations coupled at both ends of my statement and yours. First, the side I mean to refrain from penetration is the one that obviously supersedes precedent when one uses Linux. What I mean by that, per say, is that even if one shall so therefore you have the ends for when you look like the antagonist, and I, the one shouting none too often, the inflammatory rhetoric used to incite reaction should one not agree in the slightest. Therefore, I have demonstrated my commitment here and at best, I wasn't even committed. Without aim I was. It's all enjoyable for me regardless of outcome.
>>
>>54575200
I demonstrated you where the cock. It's only a suckers game and you demonstrated perfectly! Dah!
>>
>>54575341
Sure thing bud
>>
>>54570850
Linux, because it's easier to say and write.

But I do recognise and acknowledge that the official name is GNU/Linux, I'm not some fucking autist that is sperging out over GNU.
>>
>>54575272
[interjecting internally]
>>
I mostly try to say "free operating system" or "open operation system", because that is why I use them.
I don't really care about the linux kernel or the GNU stuff in it.
>>
>>54575780
*"open operating system"
>>
When I'm talking about the actual Kernel, Linux.
When I'm talking about the OS, specifically without paying attention to the Kernel, GNU.
When I'm talking about GNU operating systems running on top of the Linux Kernel, GNU/Linux (same with HURD and other Kernels to not cause confusion).

Calling the OS Linux is retarded, there is no operating system called Linux. Linus and his fanbase can complain all they wants, should have written more than just a kernel.
>>
So Stallman says that certain historic events lead to the state that the name of the OS was confused with the kernel. But did he ever specified those events?
>>
>>54576014
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#howerror
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>>
GNU is a terrible name for an OS
>>
>>54576060
so is Linux
i call my OS Debian but if someone asks what it is, i tell them it's an Operating system made from free (as in freedom) software.
only when talking about the combination of GNU and Linux in general it makes sense to call it GNU/Linux, otherwise the Distro name makes more sense.
>>
>>54570850
Linux, because just having GNU oackages running above Linux doesn't automagically name it GNU/Linux.

Imaginge i'm a butthurt <insert package>-dev and want to have the Linux name prefixed with my hit too. We end up calling it GNU/X11/wayland/SystemD/Opebox/dbus/[...]/Linux.
Let's be honest it looks SHIT.

Linux.
>>
>>54576124
What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
>>
Just Linux because I wouldn't want to use anything associated with an anti capitalist madman.
>>
>>54576178
>he doesn't know that Linus father was part of the communist party
>>
>>54576151
a Linux Distribution is a Linux Distribution.
That in itself is an umbrella term that describes a system BASED and INCLUDING Linux AND other software.

That naming schneme worked for i don't fucking now how long, so why do i have to give credit to a dev going full retard?
>>
>>54576191
We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth.
>>
>>54576217
so HURD making GNU a fully fledged OS is a lie, because it still does not work
>>
>>54576231
We would like credit for the GNU operating system no matter which kernel is used with it.

Making the GNU Hurd work well enough to compete with Linux would be a big job, and it's not clearly necessary. The only thing ethically wrong with Linux as a kernel is its inclusion of firmware “blobs”; the best fix for that problem is developing free replacement for the blobs.
>>
>>54576235
that's why GNU forked Linux in the first place, right?
i used to call it linux-libre/GNU now.

Get my drift?
>>
>>54576231
>HURD still doesn't work
Explain Debian GNU/Hurd then.
>>
>>54576249
check the supported hardware and how well it runs.
then let's continue talking.
>>
>>54576256
It runs fine on my Lenovo, even WiFi works.

And by your own logic, Mac OS wouldn't be a proper OS because it only works on a specific subset of hardware.
>>
Linux, because saying GNU/Linux makes you sound like a virgin.
>>
>>54576278
now you're going into blasphemy, comparing a proprietary OS - locked down by design, to a supposedly free as in freedom OS.
>>
>>
>>54576469
>fake RMS account
>fake Terry Davis account
why
>>
>>54576313
>proprietary
>locked down
XNU and Darwin core is free as in freedom
>>
>>54576469
It's actually the real Terry Davis account
>>
>>54570850
Linux because GNU/Linux is only a complete system as defined by POSIX and POSIX is fucking irrelevant

Pick a commercial UNIX, any UNIX, and you will find that the complete OS is much more than the bare set of tools and functions defined in POSIX. GNU/Linux = a skeleton of an OS.

If just GNU makes linux a complete OS, then how about systemd/gnu/linux? You only need the kernel and the init, and the init needs glibc. It's actually one third of each name-part. The rest of the software is just a mess of interdependent options, right?
>>
>>54570850
just linux
also I pronounce gnu as new, because fuck richard
>>
i just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
>>
>>54576512
GNU/Linux isn't even POSIX you dumb shit, it's only partially POSIX.

Also, where is the logic in saying that GNU/Linux doesn't constitute the entire system, so I'll call it just the name of the kernel.
>>
It can be said that any OS you are running is irrelevant as long as it can run a modern web browser.
>>
File: rms-disgust.jpg (59 KB, 585x600) Image search: [Google]
rms-disgust.jpg
59 KB, 585x600
hat the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at C hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>54570850
Does it run on your computers? It's "windows" to your parents and grandparents and siblings.
>>
I know what Linux is, but what the fuck is GNU?
>>
>>54576957
>growing up in a hillbilly incest family with retards as parents
sucks to be you
>>
>>54570850
I prefer GNU/Linux because you can't use your computer with just the colonel, stupid.
>>
>>54576469
""""""" temple os """""""
>>
>>54573853
Why would Stallman fanboys even use Gentoo? Were you born like this? Gentoo isn't free as in freedom.
>>
>>54570850
X11/Linux when referring to desktop distributions.

Or do you guys enjoy sitting in front of a black screen?
>>
GNU
>>
>>54570850
I prefer Ubuntu. Or Gentoo, or Arch or whatever, which are Linux based operating systems. RMS can go fuck off on this one, I'm not calling it xfce/chromium/mozilla/gnu/linux.
>>
>>54578596
so you want to be put into one basket with the android faggots?
>>
GNU/Linux should refer to GNU/Linux distributions.
>>
>>54578623
I don't see any danger of anyone confusing Android and Ubuntu only because I'm not constantly saying GNU/Linux when referring to desktop x86/x64 linux distros. I also don't want to be put into one basket with pacman faggots or rpm faggots, yet I don't drag along dpkg when I refer to things. I think it is fine to be specific when and where it matters and sloppy when it doesn't. Pandering to Stallman's GNU/Ego doesn't matter for me and is also uncalled for because we can hardly start enumerating all contributors whenever talking about some software ecosystem.
>>
>>54578870
so you rather pander to Linus/x ego?
>>
>>54578890
As much as I'm pandering to Shuttleworth when I'm talking about Ubuntu or sucking Nadella's dick when talking about Windows.
It is a linguistic necessity to pick one common element to talk about a family of things and it makes sense to pick the base of the operating system, the kernel, for that. Pandering starts when you include more stuff that makes naming things more awkward without any benefit in clearness, just because some guy whines about his contributions. What about the Xorg guys, shouldn't we include them, too? Where do we stop? I say we stop as early as possible, not where people stop whining.
>>
>>54570850
when was the last time when something non gnu was replaced by gnu in top 3 distro?
the reverse thing happening is not that rare...
given enough time if this trend holds...
>>
>>54579200
Xorg is less important because Xorg forms a miniscule part of the system compared to the fundamental part played by GNU. Linux is also deeply fundamental by its nature as the OS kernel program. Systemd is a fundamental part of the system but its size and function compared to Linux or GNU is completely dwarfed by them. Remember, Stallman is not asking for recognition for Stallmanix, he's asking for recognition for GNU. Stallman wishes that people focus on the GNU part of GNU rather than the Stallman part of GNU.
>>
I respect RMS gor his ideals and creations, especially the gpl, but if you use the term "linux" in coversation, people know what you mean.
Usually.
>>
>>54579200
Linux is literally named after one person, GNU is a project by a lot of people.
>>
>>54579272
Maybe he is even right to be asking for more recognition, I don't want to deny that. But language is the wrong place for that. In trying to lecture me about what language I use he is as wrong as the SJWs are. I will not start using "xhe" or decorate all of my texts with some gender constructs because some people choose to feel disrespected otherwise. Equally, I will not start saying "GNU/Linux" to linux distros because RMS (or GNU, not about the person, I get it) chooses to feel disrespected otherwise.
>>
>>54579243
give examples, the number of actively maintained gnu packages is still growing.
>>
File: linus license.png (973 KB, 1192x670) Image search: [Google]
linus license.png
973 KB, 1192x670
>>54570850
Linux

'cause Stallman is crazy
>>
Linux. RMS is a commie lunatic
>>
>>54570850

I don't use GNU shit. Only linux on my router and smartphone.

GNU is for fags.
>>
File: 469.jpg (10 KB, 507x252) Image search: [Google]
469.jpg
10 KB, 507x252
>>54570850
Just Linux because I am not that autistic and also fuck stallman
>>
>>54570850
Just GNU for the same reason we say OSX and windows, not Darwin and NT, nor OSX/Darwin or Windows/NT.
>>
>>54570850
when talking to normie-ass people, I just say Linux, when talking to people who actually know it I just say GNU.
GNU/Linux is, as said by our fellow >>54572872,
too clunky
>>
>>54570850

Linux.

Stallman needs to become more productive to get my respect.
>>
I call it GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux because that's what it is. It would be rude to not give mr stallman and the other contributors credit for there hard work.

Let's hope hurd gets finished so we just call it GNU
>>
>>54580296
>linus has virtually never done anything to life
>stallman wrote whole operating systems from scratch in record time and copied significant amount of software to release it in the free domain
>had to stop due to wrist injuries
>meanwhile linus is perfectly fine but still does nothing at all except being wrong about everything on the internet
>it's stallman who has to be more productive
OK kid
>>
>>54580345
Do you also call Ubuntu "Debian+Ubuntu" or RHEL "Fedora+RHEL"?

What about static linked Ring0 microservices?
>>
>>54574960
Lol. Enjoy getting your shit immediately fucked up the moment any malware gets a hold of your system since you're root
>>
Linux.
>>
>>54570850
>Which term do you prefer to use?
xfce4-terminal
>Why?
No particular reason, it's bundled with xfce
>>
>>54580423
what point are you even trying to make?
>>
>>54580568
That calling it "GNU/Linux" is not consistent.
>>
>>54580617
why?
you should improve your reasoning skills.
>>
>>54570850
tmux
>>
>>54580642
Eh, I am not the one that said "It would be rude to not give mr stallman and the other contributors credit for there hard work."

Just like not calling Ubuntu+Debian is not giving credit to the devs of Debian for all of their hard work.
>>
>>54580657
me neither but that doesn't make your reasoning any better. the umbrella term GNU/Linux for Debian stays the same.
>>
File: image000000_2.jpg (40 KB, 500x556) Image search: [Google]
image000000_2.jpg
40 KB, 500x556
>>54580423

No because those are independent spinoffs of a single project.

GNU was written by stallman and freinds
Linux was written by Linus and friends.

Ubuntu is a single project which combines debian, gnu, and Linux.
>>
>>54580682
By that logic,

Ubuntu combines Debian + custom software

Debian combines GNU, Linux, and other FOSS.
>>
I genuinely doubt any of the people ITT who claim to say GNU/Linux do so in real life. Maybe on the Internet and in their head to their imaginary friends.

Unless you work at the FSF that would be social suicide even in the most autistic of environments.
>>
>>54580871
>thinking that choosing a term over another is social suicide
you don't get out much do you?
and yes, i say GNU mit (with) Linux offline as well.
>>
File: 1443131171696.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1422) Image search: [Google]
1443131171696.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1422
>>54575223
While EFF is working their asses off for everyones freedom, FSF is shitposting everywhere they can muster, complaining about devs not including their autistic fantasy names in anything they make.

FSF is a joke and I hope nobody wastes their money donating to them and rather spends it somewhere it gets put to good use
>>
>>54581025
The FSF is protecting copyleft licenses and they work closely with the EFF. stop pretending that they are rivals.
>>
>>54580911
>a German lecturing others on what's socially acceptable and what isn't

hah
>>
>>54581062
They are clearly spending a disproportionate amount of effort on autism
>>
>>54581077
prove it.
>>
GNI Lunix
>>
I call it Linux, because I don't like Stallman or his philosophy.
>>
>>54581090
Just read anything produced by them and see how they word and phrase stuff just to shove in their GNU propaganda

it is not hard to notice
>>
>>54581073
wow, nice argument
>>
>>54580871
I say GNU Slash Linux irl
I have a friend who calls GNU/Linux Linux but she ignores me and calls it Linux anyway.
>>
>>54581147
Because you have literal autism.
>>
>>54581137
>they use words
>i'm so offended
>>>/tumblr/
>>
LiGNUx
>>
Linux because it's more common and I don't give a shit
>>
>>54581162
How do i have autism exactly?
I call an operating system by it's Proper name and correct those who do not.
>>
>>54581191
>correct name advocated by only a group of individuals
>>
GNU/Linux online, Linux irl
>>
GNU

Linux is the kernel.
You don't call Windows "Windows/NT"
and you don't call OS X "OSX/Darwin" or just "Darwin".
People who call it GNU/Linux or especially just Linux are admitting they're a retard.

It's not autism, it's just not retarded.
Calling it Linux is as stupid as calling a car "dashboard" or "car/dashboard".
>>
>>54581358
GNU is the Dashboard you absolute sperg
>>
>>54581358
You literally call it "Windows NT"
>>
>>54581385
Linux is the dashboard, GNU is the rest of the car, you absolute sperg.
Prove me wrong.
protip: you can't, you can just show me how butthurt you can get.

>>54581397
Not once have I heard anyone ever call it that.
>>
>>54581417
That's because you grew up with Windows 7.
>>
>>54581417
The kernel is the OS it drives the entire OS above the cpu
above that and you have dozens of fragmented programs all over the place. No one thing in particular.

The car is like the kernel and GNU is like a tiny part of the dashboard
>>
>>54581397
underrated post

GNUfags BTFO
>>
>>54581513
except linux is smaller than GNU. and linux is mostly made up from drivers.
>>
>>54581743
Even granting the smaller argument, smaller does not mean simpler.

the gnu coreutils is mainly menial tiny applications
>>
>>54581783
>implying writing a c compiler is easier than writing a monolithic kernel
>>
>>54581358
>and you don't call OS X "OSX/Darwin" or just "Darwin".
Darwin's not a kernel, it's the operating system OS X is based on.
>>
>>54582190
Retards belong on >>>/b/
>>
>>54582212
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
>Darwin is an open-source Unix operating system released by Apple Inc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU
>XNU is the computer operating system kernel developed at Apple Inc. since December 1996 for use in the OS X operating system and released as free and open source software as part of the Darwin operating system.

>>>/b/
>>
>>54582281
>>>/b/
>>
>>54582310
I guess you're just illiterate.
>>
I use Fedora, so I call it Fedora. GNU and Linux pacakges combined only make up around 20% of most distros. GNU plus Linux doesn't credit the authors of everything else.
>>
>>54582484
It does when talking about the OS, autist.
>>
>>54570850
Linux.
>>
>>54570850
If I'm talking to someone that doesn't know what the fuck GNU even means then I say Linux.
If I'm talking to someone more knowledgeable then I use the name of the distro.
>>
>>54572131
/thread
>>
>>54574744
/thread #gg #rekt #2016 #mlg debater

Is this thread even active still? I'm taking at work. #lurking
>>
I use Unix like so I wont get into a flame war about brand names.
>>
GNUnix
>>
Linux/GNU
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.