[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Studio Monitors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: producer-setup-uncle-john.jpg (125 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
producer-setup-uncle-john.jpg
125 KB, 640x360
For when you don't want to wear headphones and want to blast music through something else than your crappy logitech Z313 or Harman Kardon Sounddicks.

Non-preteen looks are a +
RGB abilities are a -

>request
>recommend
>dissuade
>>
>>54567979
just get those 8" powered yamahas and you're good
>>
>>54567979
Why not use some Qudral Titans?
>>
>>54568079
They're $600 for a set. Looking for something around the $300 budget for myself. Currently got Mackie CR3 as a gift years ago, but they are fucking ugly and sound meh.

>>54568337
I actually have a pair of Quadral (Aurum 15? not sure). They're large bookshelf speakers bought for ~$400 each about 8 years ago. Unfortunately they do need a beefy amp, are too big for desk speakers and are pretty big for my desk too.
>>
>>54568544
The bookshelf ones are moderate on the amp if you ask me.
I got four Titans MkI, those things are a real burden on near every amp, hell they kill most amps.
If you look for something I think some used Rookit KRK are cheap to get and deliver a nice performance as PC speakers.
At least they will insanely outperform any and all logishit.
>>
>>54568652
Just checked the model of the ones I've got. They're the Quadral Aurum 10 Phase bought for $550 each.

The KRK Rookit is good, but looks disgusting.
The Yamaha's look beautiful, but they say only the 8" model is worth the money. There is only a single store that has them as a demo, but it's too far away.
>>
>>54568818
Yeah if you do not like the yellow they really are not good.
The yamaha ones are more classic, but I got a colleague who really is into making music and playing with his band who has the HMS80 or how they were called.
He swears on them.
>>
>>54569058
HS80M is the older model of the current HS8 type, which are $300/each. The HS80M did have a better design though with the rounded edges. :(
>>
>>54569156
Used ones are nothing for you?
>>
I use Yamaha HS8s for mixing. They sound harsh in the high-mid range so I dont listen to too much music through them but my Dynaudio bm6a's sound nice and rounded off for that purpose
>>
>>54569670
Unfortunately there aren't any used ones for sale here. I've bought used passive tower speakers in the past and fixed them when they got broke. Repairing active speakers is a whole other story. So even if they would be sold used, depending on the price, they won't last very long.
>>
>>54569869
Well okay, that cannot be helped.
>>
File: stereo.jpg (583 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
stereo.jpg
583 KB, 1280x960
my $5 garage sale minimus 8s have worked pretty good for the garbage music I listen to
>>
>>54567979

KRK's are meme tier. M-audio BX8's are dogshit. I've got a pair and regret them severely. Adam Audio's are fantastic. Mackie's are generally great as well.
>>
>>54567979
I've had the Adam A7 + Sub7 for 8 years now and it is by far the best I have owned or heard outside of a studio.

There is actually a pic of one top shelf in the middle. That is v2.0 of the A7 i have. Nice crisp sounds on all frequencies, at least the one's I work in.

I also have a cheap Berehnger pair that I seldom use. It's Mid and Lows are decent but High Frequencies sound tinny to me.

I have several mates that have bought KRKs over the years and they pretty much all end up hating them. They just sound a tad mushy on all frequencies. Terrible on mixdowns.
>>
>powered monitors
le why

>$20 speakers and $30 receiver off craigslist and you have a bangin setup

just got some Mission M70s for $20 today and they're probably the best speaker I've heard price:performance wise
>>
>>54567979
Borrowing some Adam A7X's for a few months. So far I find them to be a bit too colored/hype/flattering/bassheavy but the high end is very nice. Compared to my Focal CMS50s (and CMS sub) they are very good, but less neutral. I would be happy with either, but the Focals are better imo.
>>
>>54570078
Should add that they are the best for that size.

Larger tweeters and subs make a differece.

But buying bigger that the A7 and you are looking at paying at least $2000 for a pair
>>
>>54570078
KRKs are the equivalent of Latina women. Theyre cheap to pick up, look nice on the outside, and they're fun for a bit but once you really listen to them all you hear is incomprehensible garbled noise so eventually you end up leaving them on the side of the road for whatever poor sucker comes along.
>>
>>54569951
unlike you, I need bass
I crave it
>>
>>54570140
The Yamaha HSs also sound quite nice to me.

I have never owned a pair, used them several times and I really like their sound.
>>
>>54570123

>>54570078
here

Yeah, the highs are really where the A7 shine.
I have the low frequencies of the A7s cut and have the Sub7 handle them.
When you tune it right (depending on the room you are in. THey really are a great pair of monitors.

I do understand that getting the Sub7 is expensive an option though
>>
File: setup.jpg (108 KB, 1701x1080) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
108 KB, 1701x1080
>>54570201
I have a pair of HS5's. Great as desk speakers, the bass reflex doesn't need that much space behind the speakers and if you have a preamp with EQ, you. then you might not even need a Sub for the bass.

The picture is of my older *work in progress* setup. >>54570201
>>
>>54570147
yeah im the sick fuck that jacks the treble
>>
File: front_large.jpg (76 KB, 800x379) Image search: [Google]
front_large.jpg
76 KB, 800x379
Solution:
Get a TX-NR3030 11.2 ONKYO AVR that has a built in 32-bit/192 kHz capable DAC.
>>
>>54570104

There seems to be a big preference for powered speakers on this Bhutanese graphical joke forum.

It's literally retarded unless the user expects to move around a lot or has a lot of music gigs.

The amplifier is right next to the speaker driver and all sorts of noise and interference problems result if the shielding sucks (JBL LSR 305). Plus the heat generation inside the cabinet, and the problem of the amplifier or the driver failing, and having to throw the whole thing out because of the cost of replacement. Also, they look like ass.

It's like people who buy iMacs because they're too stupid to assemble some components.

Fucking plebes.
>>
>>54570376
>TX-NR3030

That thing costs $1500 new? It only has 2 main capacitors and it uses H-transformers. Why are you recommending overpriced BestBuy tier garbage?
>>
>>54570027
My M Audio powered BX5's and powered SBX10 subwoofer sound great in my studio setting.
>>
File: jbl northridge e80.jpg (8 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
jbl northridge e80.jpg
8 KB, 183x275
I have a 5.1 setup, JBL Northridge e80 (pic related) as my fronts, JBL loft 20 center, klipsch reference 4 as my surrounds, a pioneer sw-8mk2 subwoofer and a Denon AVR-S510BT receiver. I got the JBL e80 for free from my dad.
>>
File: 1429969014244.jpg (32 KB, 460x467) Image search: [Google]
1429969014244.jpg
32 KB, 460x467
Budget: $100-$200

Recommendations?
>>
>>54571271
m-audio av42
>>
>>54570685
Where do you get your replies?

5n4ke0i1-d07-c0m
>>
>>54567979
using m-audio bx5 d2s

I dig them. They're also my first monitors so I don't really have much of a scale for how good they are.
>>
>>54571349
they seem to have bad reviews(like one speaker plays lower than another)

any other recommendations?
>>
>>54571349
I have these they sound good for their price
>>
I have Mackie CR3s for basic audio work; the value of a great pair of monitors would probably be lost on me. I'd recommend them to anybody who's just starting to get in to audio engineering/mixing (make sure you acoustically treat your room, too, you faggot) or wants some nice speakers at a pretty good price.
>>
>>54570685
its actually 2300 new
the components are not the best at that price point
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.