[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
code monkeys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: frog2.jpg (15 KB, 250x243) Image search: [Google]
frog2.jpg
15 KB, 250x243
I'm not a programmer myself and only know the basics but why do people use the insult "code monkey"

their job still requires more mental effort than the vast majority of other jobs.
>>
>>54564978
Because their code doesn't do anything interesting or innovative and literally any other semi competent programmer could do what they're doing.
>>
>>54565012
>Try to come up with my own method to solve a problem.
>Anon, there's already an algorithm for this. Are you trying stroke your own ego?

>Use existing algorithms to solve a problem.
>Lel, code monkey!
>>
>>54564978
i never insulted any codemonkey and always value their work
>>
>>54564978
isn't code monkey used when someone wrote fizzbuzz out rather than use loops etc.
it works it's just not ideal
>>
>>54566100
Buttmad webdeveloper detected.

What's it like knowing that a 13 year old can do your job after the Codecademy PHP course and Javascript course?
>>
>>54564978
It's called "projection".
>>
If there's a person that directly interacts with the requirements analysts and knows how to code. Whom also audits and selects frameworks.etc etc.

If you're not one of those people and you expect to be fed functional requirements with no thought or knowledge of the larger problem you're solving.. Then you're a code monkey.
>>
>>54567683
Not OP but you are kidding yourself fampai
>>
>>54567817
That's just a rank thing. Most entry-level jobs won't let you anywhere near those responsibilities no matter your ability level
>>
>>54567479
What's wrong with this? Sure, the compiler optimizer might unroll the loop for you anyway. But you can be sure if you do it by hand.
>>
If you stick an infinite number of monkeys in a room with typewriters for an infinite period of time, eventually you would have the entire works of shakespear.

The same is true of software. And the room is called "India."
>>
>>54568110
If you did that with infinite it's monkeys you would have it instantly
>>
>>54567683
>Non sequitur

You sound like a NEET.
>>
stackoverflow.com/questions/434414/
>>
>>54568609
>>>Non sequitur

quit using big words you don't know the meaning of, boy
>>
>>54568773
Holy shit
>>
>>54568548
Not really anon. You would have it after AVG_T_KEY_PRESS * MAX(LIST(SHAKESPEAR_BOOKS).CHARS.LENGTH)
>>
I prefer being refered as a code monkey than a snobby title like "software architect"
>>
>>54564978
>their job still requires more mental effort than the vast majority of other jobs.
no it doesn't
programming is to the cs world what a bricklaying is to the architecture world
>>
>>54568110
try reading up on the infinite monkey theorem again
it's one monkey with infinite time _or_ an inifite amount of monkeys an.. well, not sure about the time here, but it's not much
>>
>>54572017

The vast majority of other jobs are not CS research though. They're generic office work entering shit into applications, attending meetings, etc.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.